New member from Montana !!!!

OP
Reef Aquarist

Reef Aquarist

Dec 31, 2021
Libby, Montana
Parrots
None yet
Went to the next nearest town today, 90 miles, and checked out the parrot supplies in Petco. Picked up this care sheet for Sun Conures and noticed this cage labeled for conures. Roughly 20” x 20” x 32” high. Would this be adequate for conures?

—Mitch.

18420765-8F42-4754-80FC-E95FBFF727CF.jpeg

A9F258EE-FD14-4BC4-822A-C3F9992D3107.jpeg

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Went to the next nearest town today, 90 miles, and checked out the parrot supplies in Petco. Picked up this care sheet for Sun Conures and noticed this cage labeled for conures. Roughly 20” x 20” x 32” high. Would this be adequate for conures?

—Mitch.

View attachment 33821
View attachment 33822
it really depends on how much time your bird spends out of the cage if you have a job you have to go to id recommand a bigger cage

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Pet stores have the smallest and most expensive cages.

I prefer them to be at least 32 inches wide. I think 20 wide is way to small. I think k the good guidelines are double your burds outstretched wings plus a half. So two birds could stand side by side with wings outstretched to the fullest and not touch. Mine are out 8hrs a day and I still have cages that are large enough for that. But smaller birds like budgies still need a large cage even more than their wing lengths

Burds are so active, unlike our dogs and cats who nap all day ( as predators do)

OP
Reef Aquarist

Reef Aquarist

Dec 31, 2021
Libby, Montana
Parrots
None yet
it really depends on how much time your bird spends out of the cage if you have a job you have to go to id recommand a bigger cage
@Tikitiel I’m just a part time rancher with some health problems so I’ll be spending a lot of time at home from here on out. Never thought how much time the bird will be out of the cage. Where can I get a bigger cage online?

OP
Reef Aquarist

Reef Aquarist

Dec 31, 2021
Libby, Montana
Parrots
None yet
Pet stores have the smallest and most expensive cages.

I prefer them to be at least 32 inches wide. I think 20 wide is way to small. I think k the good guidelines are double your burds outstretched wings plus a half. So two birds could stand side by side with wings outstretched to the fullest and not touch. Mine are out 8hrs a day and I still have cages that are large enough for that. But smaller birds like budgies still need a large cage even more than their wing lengths

Burds are so active, unlike our dogs and cats who nap all day ( as predators do)
@Laurasea makes sense birds active all day, my cats sleep the majority of the time. I watched a YouTube video on the ElleAndTheBirds channel about dangers facing birds in a home. A problem for me is the electrical cords on my fish tank although the most of them will be inside the cabinet behind doors. Some will be exposed to the outside. The problem here is the bird wanting to peck at the cords. Most of the exposed cords are heavy duty casing and I could probably cover all of these like on the video but where can I get the covers? Another concern with the fish tank: I have a top lid that is a mesh screen to keep the fish from jumping out. The bird(s) might want to peck at that if they sit on the tank. The screen is fairly substantial material but I’m looking into an acrylic top with slots to keep condensation out from underneath.

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
@Tikitiel I’m just a part time rancher with some health problems so I’ll be spending a lot of time at home from here on out. Never thought how much time the bird will be out of the cage. Where can I get a bigger cage online?
Amazon has a variety of flight cages just make sure to read the reviews
I would put the cage i use for tiki its not that expensive and its pretty sturdy but i cant find it anymore
Altho its probably fine if you dont leave that long
Just go as big as you can get (watching out for space bars)
I recommend leaving a bird out of a cage for about 4-8 hours
My bird always have the cage open even when she sleeps so shes out 24/7 most of the time

OP
Reef Aquarist

Reef Aquarist

Dec 31, 2021
Libby, Montana
Parrots
None yet
OP
Reef Aquarist

Reef Aquarist

Dec 31, 2021
Libby, Montana
Parrots
None yet
Amazon has a variety of flight cages just make sure to read the reviews
I would put the cage i use for tiki its not that expensive and its pretty sturdy but i cant find it anymore
Altho its probably fine if you dont leave that long
Just go as big as you can get (watching out for space bars)
I recommend leaving a bird out of a cage for about 4-8 hours
My bird always have the cage open even when she sleeps so shes out 24/7 most of the time
@Tikitiel okay. I’ll check Amazon. I remember when I was a kid mom had a parakeet and covered the cage every night to keep drafts out.

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
What happened to this burd’s beak?

It seems like it’s dirty-
Or it might be something else
But im voting for its dirty
@Tikitiel okay. I’ll check Amazon. I remember when I was a kid mom had a parakeet and covered the cage every night to keep drafts out.
I dont need to cover the cage since tiki sleeps in her own room so nothing bothers her

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Well birds can get into trouble lol but if you reward them on their perches and provide stuff there to chew on. Then yes mine are on me or on their areas. If you dont proved areas to perch on then they will perch on frames tv furniture..mine very rarely do. Because when they did I moved them to one of their play perches. After awhile they got it. Definitely look at the pictures for ideas.

Video looks like fruit or poop on beak

OP
Reef Aquarist

Reef Aquarist

Dec 31, 2021
Libby, Montana
Parrots
None yet
I'm thinking one or two parakeets. Would that cage be okay for two parakeets? Does a pair do better than a single? I think parakeets are readily available, and are a smaller investment. Are they hardier or easier to care for than other parrots? They definitely come in several colors and variations of colorations. Just beautiful. What else do I need beside the cage?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
That cage would be fine for 2-4 parakeets.
That's the style of cage I like , but I like the ones that are taller off the ground . Same style. Because the burds are more comfortable:, abd Because you said cats might come in. They could easily reach in this low to ground cage.
I like this kind better: its taller off the ground and I like white fir the light it let's into cage

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
what are you wanting from your parrot freind?
Parakeet I think two are better suggestions 2 boys. But it can be more difficult to befriend 2
You might really enjoy a green cheek conure.

OP
Reef Aquarist

Reef Aquarist

Dec 31, 2021
Libby, Montana
Parrots
None yet
@Laurasea from my parrot friend I want an exotic, beautiful bird that will provide a lasting, close relationship. Interaction with a delicate body and strong character. I will like to research GCC's. Thanks for the suggestions, I really like the cage!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Here is my GCC Ta-dah they are very affectionate and like cuddling and head scratches. Bond well with their person are clowns can learn a word or 2 but also can be quick to give yiu a nip and that needle tip beak hurts. They can have quick mood changes like a cat. They never back down. Ta-dah is 95 % cuddle 5% thinks i tried to kill her or disrespect her and would correct me with a nip. But I can read her and do give her a few seconds to collect herself and avoid the nips
20211002_132700.jpg
original_607fe057-c4c6-4468-8510-7d5c22d441ee_20210430_125258.jpg

Ta-dah was on sale because she is consider plain....gasp I love her subtle beauty! But anyway there are several color mutations in green cheek conure now.

Last edited:
OP
Reef Aquarist

Reef Aquarist

Dec 31, 2021
Libby, Montana
Parrots
None yet
Here is my GCC Ta-dah they are very affectionate and like cuddling and head scratches. Bond well with their person are clowns can learn a word or 2 but also can be quick to give yiu a nip and that needle tip beak hurts. They can have quick mood changes like a cat. They never back down. Ta-dah is 95 % cuddle 5% thinks i tried to kill her or disrespect her and would correct me with a nip. But I can read her and do give her a few seconds to collect herself and avoid the nips
View attachment 34038View attachment 34039
Ta-dah was on sale because she is consider plain....gasp I love her subtle beauty! But anyway there are several color mutations in green cheek conure now.
@Laurasea sounds like Ta-dah has lots of personality and gives lots of loves! I will check out the link.

Most Reactions

Latest posts