New Member :)

louiscoverdale

Nov 27, 2012
Essex
Hi all,

My name is Louis, im nearly 22 years old and i am currently a beginner Zoo Keeper in Essex (Bird Team:))

I am hoping soon to become an owner of a green cheek conure. And i know there are millions of threads on cage size, but i still need advice.

I just need someone to help me with the following :)

- Will my GCC be ok with 2 small dogs? Im not planning on letting the bird out with the dogs, but will it be ok with occasional barking?

- The cage size. Do i need a a big bulky parrot style cage?

- Noise, i know they are the quietest of conure breeds. Im not guessing they are as loud as a salmon crested cockatoo or anything, but on the same level as a cockatiel? I dont mind the noise just thinking of neighbors if the bird is constently screaming.

A big thanks to anyone who can help me. I know people are thinking you work in a zoo and you need help??!! but like i said im new...ish.

Thank you. :green2:

Turquoise

Banned
Banned
Oct 23, 2012
West Texas
Parrots
2 Male Catalina Macaws~Roscoe & Angel, 1 Female Green Wing Macaw~Ruby Jewel, 1 Female Solomon Island Eclectus~Leyla Belle, 1 female Pineapple Green Cheek Conure~Peta, 8 Budgies
Welcome to the forum Louis. Green Cheeks are very sweet wonderful birds. You will very much enjoy being owned by yours when you get it.

As far as cages go, like most info you will read get as large of a cage, taking into consideration bar spacing, as you can afford & fit in the place you will keep your GCC. When I brought my GCC Peta home, she was in a cage that was way too small for her & I got her a large flight cage. She doesn't use the bottom half any, but she knows it is there if she wants.

As long as your GCC and the dogs are not in danger of interacting & a possible accident occurring, it should be ok with dogs around. I have dogs and Peta doesn't pay them any attention when they are milling around her cage when she is locked inside.

Peta is not noisy one bit. She does do her little squawks, but they are not even as loud a a cockatiel in my opinion. And I have owned cockatiels a good many yrs.ago. Every once in awhile Peta will get fussy about something when I am buay around her cage, but that is not ear piercing in any way. She is mostly quiet for most of the day when she is playing by herself. Peta is a wonderful little girl. So, I wouldn't think you should have too much trouble from neighbors, but all birds are individuals and some may have a louder GCC than mine.

Good luck & I hope you find the perfect GCC for you.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Welcome to the forum

No problem with the dogs, as long as the bird is in the cage