Our finds, inspired by MacawLover....

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
After seeing all the awesome finds MacawLover found at a local store and encouraging me that there had to be some good stores nearby me too, I decided to try a shop I would not normally go to... The Goodwill and Salvation Army never produced much for finds and the hospital support shop had a few things but their prices were so close to regular stores, never a real 'find'... BUT... following MarcawLover's lead, I popped into a different thrift store, and boy what a haul!!! I actually put a couple bags of baby toys back, felt bad for taking so many!!!

They even had a craft section, so rummaged thru bins and found the pressed paper rope that Max's new toy from Terry is made with!! I even found a great Melissa and Doug wooden tool toy that I cleaned up, going to reread about their items, but beleive they were one of the safe wooden kids toys.

Grabbed some big thick towels that had a bleach mark or two, perfect for putting down on the kitchen floor where Max likes to hang out on a chair when I'm doing dishes, working with sprouts or such.

Anyway, more babble from me... big thank you to MacawLover for the recent post of thrift store finds, would not have been encouraged to go looking again!!

I had picked this shape sorter bucket set up a while ago for Ivory, but she never had much interest outside of knocking the pieces over if I stacked them up. Started working with Max to drop them into the bucket for first step... He did well first couple times, then decided his food bowl was a better place to put them. Gotta give him credit tho, he very neatly and carefully stacked the pieces so nothing fell over...

And last but not least... for all the times we worry about buying these awesome toys for our parrots, here is something Max just had a great time playing with... the parrot version of recycling...

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Wow, you found a lot of great stuff! And I love the pics of Max playing with those blocks...that is absolutely adorable! Does he like that toy?

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots
i got 1 green cheek cinnamon,a rose crowned,a yellow sided and a hybride from the first 2

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
What a great find!!!maybe i should walk into stores that aren't goodwill's and grocery stores too.

OP
jenphilly

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
After telling a friend at lunch about finds other people post and how I've had little luck, they suggested to try thrift stores that support a church and dang if Celia wasn't right! I went into one fairly local I never pop into :) now I know the secret!

Terry... Max hasn't done much with it but he hasn't settled into playing in his cage much. Byron will be making him a big play stand and I will move it to that. We are away tonight, down near DC for a concert, so hoping he plays more in his cage while he is home with Tor. He shook it when I showed it too him and likes the textured blocks, so guessing once he stops worrying about me and finds his inner macaw (what a flashback to Ivory!!), he have it apart :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts