Rainbow lorikeet or Caique?

Jmonkey1708

Apr 17, 2013
Parrots
Pepe-Mexican red headed amazon
I'm considering getting another parrot. I only have one so far and he's a mexican red headed amazon. Does anyone know the pros and cons of each? I'm looking for something that's playful and active. I have done research and so far these too seem like little clowns lol. I also plan to get my bird as a baby. Its still going to be a little while before I purchase just want to do all the studying 1st. Please and Thank You.

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
I have only had experience with a rainbow lorikeet. And they are sure a handful.

Very Active.
Clowns.
Love to play

Somes cons are
VERY messy poop
They become extremely aggressive when they mature. They have no fear and they will attack a bird that is 10x larger than it's self(In australia, the wild rainbow lorikeets will attack the wild too's for food/territory.) . Some times they will attack for no reason at all. No warning signs or anything.

If you are going to get a lorikeet you must be ready for it. As it is a common trait amongst them. Other lorikeet owners will fill you in.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Caiques are little monsters, hehe. They are clowns, they're headstrong, social, happy go lucky, active, playful. They're great.

Cons: They are, however, HUGE biters. Biting and 'playing rough' is a huge thing for them, so they WILL bite during play. Obviously you can reduce this with training, but they just get so excited and playful that they 'burst' and bite! They need SO much stimulation when it comes to toys as they tend to get bored of toys pretty quickly too.

Lorikeets are lovely little birds with a huge personality. They are huge birds in tiny bodies and are so cheeky and playful. Someone already mentioned aggression, the other con would be their diet is very specific... and their poos are worse, eurg! (I don't envy you lori owners!)

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
I have never had a Caique but I hear they are very playful and sweet. I do have a Green Naped Lorikeet and let me tell you I LOVE him he is so playful and crazy he's fun to watch play by himself or play with him, BUT he does randomly attack sometimes and I hear thats normal for them and he is the messiest bird ever!! Since they drink nectar they have liquid droppings and he doesn't just squirt them he shoots them across the room! He is also very vocal sometimes its just chatter but sometimes he will really scream and its not just loud its also very shrill. I have to change his cage sometimes twice a day and scrub it often as well! He is a joy to have and I would never give him up but he is very high maintenance and definitely not for everyone! I say if you can try and spend time with both kinds of birds before you decide on one and realize how much work its gonna take if you decide on a lorikeet. And good luck with your search :)

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I have a yellowstreaked lory and 2 Blk hd caiques. I love the caiques best thats why I have 2. Like others said both are aggressive birds [no sharing any playstands] What I love about my caiques is that they love to play!! They have a TON of toys and play all day no problem.Out of my 9 birds their very self entertained. As for being beaky [its when your trying to force to do something they dont want .Or are trying to take away something they cant have . Very headstrong birds [as they age they nip because theres a reason]They are hearty eaters [love everything] Put themselves to bed everynight . ] Besides lots of toys ,they need foot toys ,a big wide cage ,swings and boings . They need the swings and boings so the can hop and bounce :) My male even says a few words .Greta just says hello. Love these guys ,tons of fun :) My lory is very smart ,one of the better talkers in the house . He also loves his toys [and needs foot toys] hes a big show off!!!! Hes great with us .But will fly and attack the other birds [even my macaw] So he has to come out by himself.His beak is shaped different than the rainbow lorys and his doesnt hurt. Hes kind of hyper and not real cuddily ,And then theres the mess everythings sticky. But i have to say both are fun birds and Im glad I have them.

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well i dont have much to add as mostly everyone covered this topic id just like to reinenforce the fact that lories are very very messy and you must be willing to give them the nectar they need and there diet needs are just overall more.

Caiques are very headstrong and i cant say this enough nor can anyone else because we.... mean it! my caique is determined when he gets on a tasks he must do it or he gets well... very upset.

Thats really all i can add but its not really adding as others said it i just wanted to try and drill it deeper... :)

Niner10Tango

Nov 10, 2012
Media
SE Michigan
Parrots
Tango a White Faced Pied Cockatiel
Would love to have a caique myself but I wish I had their energy levels. I know that they are more of a walker than a flyer, overall they are so darn cute!! You have a tough choice to make. Let us know when you make a decision.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Your picking two birds that don't play well with others. You just have to understand that part and watch your Amazon as these little monsters don't mind taking on a big bird. Yes Lory are messy messy birds, they are head strong too like the Caiques. But both of the types are just sooooo adorable when they play...Did I mention Lory are MESSY??? LoL...

LoryLover

Jan 1, 2013
Southern California
Parrots
Chattering Lory, 18yrs old (Sweet Pea)
There are lots of ways to manage the mess with lories. I had a Red Lory for 5 years, and the Chattering I have now, I have had for 16 years. Got the Chattering as a 6 week old baby, and used my experience with the Red Lory to make life a little less messier with the Chattering Lory. My Chattering is potty trained, super playful, and talks very well. The males are a little more feisty than the females.

OP
Jmonkey1708

Jmonkey1708

Apr 17, 2013
Parrots
Pepe-Mexican red headed amazon
wow I don't know if this made it harder or easier lol. They both seem so fun and full of energy. I think i'm going to try and spend time with both and see how it goes. Growing up i knew someone with a rainbow lorikeet and he was to cute and full of life and all i fall in love with the caiques everytime i watch there videos.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Its funny how the internet must be portraying the caiques [In a impossable kind of way] cause I read alot of similiar things . That with the caiques Ive known dont hold true [unless you were not caring for them right and not handling them alot] I have 2 conures .I find the caiques easier.I would take the caiques beak better than the shape and strength of the conures. What Im trying to say is the caiques are not as hard as you think.:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts