psitticine

Dec 23, 2022
Parrots
Chichi (2021 - 2022)
Rainy (current)
Hi all! My boyfriend and I are looking for a new rental home, and hoping to sign a lease for one we just looked at. The only thing is that it has a range oven, and I'm concerned about the gas. I know about teflon and toxic fumes coming off of cookware, so I buy very carefully, but I'm concerned about the oven itself. I know that we have to be very vigilant at all times to ensure the gas is not running when the flame is off, but what about when it's on? It's also worth mentioning that it's a fairly large home, and the kitchen is on the opposite side of the house from where my Quaker will be staying, with a door in between that will stay closed. I'm mainly hoping to hear from anyone that has a parrot and a range oven. Much appreciated!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I think you'd be fine based on how your house is laid out.

I've read where some people say they've had one for 20 years with no issue with their birds. and others who say not to use it because their birds died from it. I think we have to make our own decisions for our birds on this subject.

We are going to start renovating this year and plan to change our stove to gas. My birds are all downstairs and I am not anticipating a problem, especially because natural gas rises.
Please remember that these are just opinions, I'm definitely no expert and someone could post something that changes my mind:)

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

I've read where some people say they've had one for 20 years with no issue with their birds. and others who say not to use it because their birds died from it. I think we have to make our own decisions for our birds on this subject.

We are going to start renovating this year and plan to change our stove to gas. My birds are all downstairs and I am not anticipating a problem, especially because natural gas rises.
Please remember that these are just opinions, I'm definitely no expert and someone could post something that changes my mind:)

Modern gas stoves and ovens are very safe- if it's a very old one (more than 30 years old) I would be concerned. I have had a now five year old gas (liquid propane) stove/oven in my kitchen area only 15 feet from the closest bird cage for five years now and my flock of budgies is fine- no unexplained illnesses or deaths. I do have a strong fan over the stove that vents directly outside that I use whenever I use the stovetop and I use bird safe cookware. I can't put my birds any farther away from the "kitchen" because my main living area is all one room and my little house only has one big bedroom (we built like this on purpose). I really don't like cooking on electric stoves but if I thought my propane stove was potentially unsafe I would happily switch for my babies' health. If anyone thinks newer liquid propane stoves truly aren't bird safe please explain because I don't want to risk my birds' health.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
North America is rapidly running toward ongoing rolling black-outs because our grid electrical supply system is over taxed and cannot support current Summer time usage. Government is pushing for people to change natural gas stove/ovens to electric and at the same time pushing us to switch to EV (electric vehicles), knowing full well, we do not have the capacity to support that kind of electrical load.

Natural gas stove/ovens burn very efficiently and only need to be repaired or replaced when that flame is yellow in color. That is very rare! You will note that the vast majority of the flame is blue in color that implies the very little contaminates are being released. That defines one of the major problems with candles as their flame is near all yellow.

Natural gas stove/ovens are safe as they are used for a short time and burn very efficiently!
NOTE: A problem will arise if the stove/oven is used to heat the house as the use changes from short safe use to long term operation (like a furnace).

Short safe use works with the volume of air in your home and as a result has little contaminates.

Points of concern: Never Use the Self-Cleaning Feature of an oven as the operating temperature and the off-gassing from the burnt on build-up 'can' be dangerous and the very hot surfaces of the oven can cause a burn! Do what your Great Grandmother did, place a sheet under whatever is cooking in the oven!

Whether looking for a new home or apartment, or renovating assure you have a fan in the cooking area to pull contaminates out to the great outdoors!! That is the single best way to assure that any contaminates are moved safely out of your and your Parrot's living area!!

NOTE: Natural Gas and Propane Gas are different and require physical changes to the burners to assure proper use!

Last edited:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
North America is rapidly running toward ongoing rolling black-outs because our grid electrical supply system is over taxed and cannot support current Summer time usage. Government is pushing for people to change natural gas stove/ovens to electric and at the same time pushing us to switch to EV (electric vehicles), knowing full well, we do not have the capacity to support that kind of electrical load.

Natural gas stove/ovens burn very efficiently and only need to be repaired or replaced when that flame is yellow in color. That is very rare! You will note that the vast majority of the flame is blue in color that implies the very little contaminates are being released. That defines one of the major problems with candles as their flame is near all yellow.

Natural gas stove/ovens are safe as they are used for a short time and burn very efficiently!
NOTE: A problem will arise if the stove/oven is used to heat the house as the use changes from short safe use to long term operation (like a furnace).

Short safe use works with the volume of air in your home and as a result has little contaminates.

Points of concern: Never Use the Self-Cleaning Feature of an oven as the operating temperature and the off-gassing from the burn on build-up 'can' be dangerous and the very hot surfaces of the oven can cause a burn! Do what your Great Grandmother did, place a sheet under whatever is cooking in the oven!

Whether looking for a new home or apartment, or renovating assure you have a fan in the cooking area to pull contaminates out to the great outdoors!! That is the single best way to assure that any contaminates are moved safely out of your and your Parrot's living area!!

NOTE: Natural Gas and Propane Gas are different and require physical changes to the burners to assure proper use!
Thank you for this informative post. I assume all you say about natural gas stoves also applies to liquid propane stoves which are very popular in rural areas like mine that don't have natural gas lines. If not, please advise. Thanks.

OP
psitticine

psitticine

Dec 23, 2022
Parrots
Chichi (2021 - 2022)
Rainy (current)

Thank you for your answer!!

I've always wondered if cookware is as big of a deal when birds are that far away from the kitchen.

I've kind of gathered from all the forums I've read that people sometimes ascribe reasons for their birds' deaths by way of correlation rather than causation. Since illness is so often hidden and difficult to detect, I'm skeptical about whether certain things are actually deadly or if the person was just trying to find the cause and blamed something that didn't have anything to do with it. Of course I'm always in a "better safe than sorry" mentality. Some of these things have proven to be fatal. But of course I don't want to dismiss something as major as a housing opportunity just based on anecdotes.

Points of concern: Never Use the Self-Cleaning Feature of an oven as the operating temperature and the off-gassing from the burn on build-up 'can' be dangerous and the very hot surfaces of the oven can cause a burn! Do what your Great Grandmother did, place a sheet under whatever is cooking in the oven!

Excellent response! This makes me feel so much better and I’m happy to know all the technical details too. Thanks so much!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Can't stress enough what 'Boats said about the "self cleaning" cycle on many new or newer gas OR electric range. That cycle has the oven go up to it max temperature, at or above 500oF, to basically cook off and cremate any organic material, drips, spills and gunk, making it easier to wipe off and clean. These super high temperatures are exactly where the worst of the fumes, both from the gunkies, but also any coating or process fluids present.

Most Reactions

Latest posts