Rats and Rat Mites?

Oli

Supporting Member
Jan 22, 2017
California
Parrots
GCC, Juliet ✝ (2015-2023)
A couple of days ago my landlord removed some rats from my attic. I know it's not unusual for rat mites to leave their host and search for a new one when the rats pass. I think I'm just being paranoid, and Juliets' not acting any different than usual, bit I'm curious of anyone has ever heard of rat mites hosting on pet birds?

Full disclosure, I have diagnosed parasite oriented OCD. I just want to keep her safe, but obviously I can't take her to the vet every single time I feel afraid.

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
OP
Oli

Oli

Supporting Member
Jan 22, 2017
California
Parrots
GCC, Juliet ✝ (2015-2023)
It's right to be careful, prevention is better than cure.

I think regular vacuum will suffice. And there are spray products for extra precaution. But if there is more evidence, like seeing one, a call to a pest control company may be needed.

Thanks for the reply. I've been keeping a close eye out for sure.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Rats and/or mice are commonly a concern as the removal a couple without ongoing treatment will commonly mean a return or continuation of the infestation. Rat and/or mice mitigation requires on-going treatment for at least a year after a sighting and especially after finding them.

Fully agree with the recommendation above regains vacuum cleaning!

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
A friend of mine moved into a new rental house, discovered rats living below a storage area, and while cleaning the space up she was terribly bitten by rat mites. She’s been working with an exterminator to finish clearing them out. I will see if she has any update…but it sounds like they will go anywhere they can for fresh blood!

Most Reactions

Latest posts