Really need help

• Thread starter Deleted member 42802
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 42802

I’ve got two cockatiels that have been together since they was young, no problems and they’ve always been in the same cage (over a year) , today the male turned and started pecking and attacking the female, I tried to move her into a diffrent cage and he kept jumping on my hand and attacking us both, he’s never done this, the female is in a diffrent cage now, dose anyone know why this could have happened and what I should do, female is okay now, just to add it wasn’t just a few pecks he was flying around her, kept landing on her, and viloently attacking her, (going for the eyes, back, and beak), now he’s in a diffrent cage he is screaming trying to find her and get to her because he dosent like being separated, so I’m stuck on what to do

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
How long have you had them?

It's might be hormones.. do you have any darks areas in their cage? (Nests, huts, too many toys clustered in one area forming a dark spot, etc)

How old are they?

Not to scare you, but sudden behaviours changes might indicate a health issue.

Wishing you the best of luck!

OP
D

Deleted member 42802

How long have you had them?

It's might be hormones.. do you have any darks areas in their cage? (Nests, huts, too many toys clustered in one area forming a dark spot, etc)

How old are they?

Not to scare you, but sudden behaviours changes might indicate a health issue.

Wishing you the best of luck!
I’ve had the them both just over a year, so they’ve been together for a while, they have no nests, but do have some toys, not enough for dark spots , the male is about a year and 5 months the female is about a a year and 3 months, his attitude has been changing recently he is being more aggressive then he use to, and likes to bite fingers, but he has also been trying to masturbate with the bowl, so I’m not sure if that’s changing his attitude too

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Yup, probably hormones especially about the bowl thing.. these threads contain some info hormones:

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
Sounds like he is hormonal. I think I knew of someone who would separate her male and female birds during hormonal season.

Another thing I am thinking is that he is going through puberty. You said you had them young and they have been together for a year. If they are under age 2 that could be another factor.

Most Reactions