Right now Salty is.....

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Good idea, Mr. Goodwrench, for sure. We get our Harrison's in the mail, and the newspapers (aka cage-liners) are delivered, and we're stocked up on on other stuff. Kirby has a real sanitizing ritual when he makes the occasional necessary foray out.
Thanks for the reminder and heads-up.
As well as you can, hunker down. In Spanish, we say "Bájate".
Be safe... Salty, Wrench, Mrs. Wrench, WrenchieDoggie, The Wrench Family, everybody...

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi guys,

This is a video of most of Salty's current set of tricks. Some old favorites, which we start and stop each training session with ( these set him up to know that it's that time again, time to learn and do) and some new tricks that either he has learned recently or is in the process of perfecting. I honestly wanted to video every single trick, new or old, but at 15+ minutes long and using almost 4 grams of pine nut slices I didn't want to push the limits too much. I am still trying figure out the perfect camera angle so you can see not only each actual trick but also the hand signals I use to ask for each one. I also have to consider Salty's ability to concentrate for more than 15 minutes or so, which seems to be his limit more or less. When he is in learning mode we might do a new trick several times, so he can get the intent of the lesson but also the execution.

I hope you all enjoy the video !!

Last edited by a moderator:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
It's a shame Johnny Carson isn't around :eek:

Jim

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Al, that was most impressive! Great job, Salty!

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Thanks guys! I really thought we were going to be able to get all his tricks in on one video, but on reviewing it, we left out 10 of them. I ran out of treaties!

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
That's awesome! I bet Salty has great dreams...

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
No, TOM, Salty is, I just show him stuff. Last night we tried a new trick. The IAATE ( training society, mostly aimed at training raptors for bird shows) suggested that we develop Saltys sense of indirect reasoning, by hiding the treat inside something and letting him see me do it. Maybe you have seen his stacking cups trick? So last night I hid a treat inside the largest cup, and placed a smaller one that fits inside it upside down, so he couldn't see the treat. The idea is for him to form a mental picture of the treat and where it is, and figure out that removing the object blocking his view of the treat will result in a treat. Salty did it on the first try, no studying it, he jut walked over and removed the smaller cup. We tried the reverse too, putting the larger one over the smaller cup, again he figured it out on the first try. Lots of times he will do a new trick on the first attempt, or develop the skills needed to do it, on his own. Stacking the rubber alphabet blocks is like that. He tries until he gets it right.

So Salty is the amazing one in the duo, I just set the tricks up !

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
WOWIE!!! 90,000 views on Salty's thread! Not to compare with the Rickeybird's almost 1/4 million views, but still.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
No, TOM, Salty is, I just show him stuff. Last night we tried a new trick. The IAATE ( training society, mostly aimed at training raptors for bird shows) suggested that we develop Saltys sense of indirect reasoning, by hiding the treat inside something and letting him see me do it. Maybe you have seen his stacking cups trick? So last night I hid a treat inside the largest cup, and placed a smaller one that fits inside it upside down, so he couldn't see the treat. The idea is for him to form a mental picture of the treat and where it is, and figure out that removing the object blocking his view of the treat will result in a treat. Salty did it on the first try, no studying it, he jut walked over and removed the smaller cup. We tried the reverse too, putting the larger one over the smaller cup, again he figured it out on the first try. Lots of times he will do a new trick on the first attempt, or develop the skills needed to do it, on his own. Stacking the rubber alphabet blocks is like that. He tries until he gets it right.

Al, you are amazing enough to know how to set him up and to have developed a relationship with him that allows his amazingness to shine. It’s a partnership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TiredOldMan

Apr 24, 2018
Media
South Central Texas
Parrots
CAG Hen-Gracie age unknown, U2 Rooster-Anakin 13YO

Al, you are amazing enough to know how to set him up and to have developed a relationship with him that allows his amazingness to shine. It’s a partnership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What she said, better than I ever could.

Thanks Inger:D

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
YAY!!! It was finally warm enough here in NY to get Salty into his harness and spend some time outside in the warm sunshine. First time this year! And even though we still put his harness partially on him almost every night as a part of his training sessions, he squawked a bit putting it on all the way. Silly bird, when he so clearly likes being outside.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
YAY!!! It was finally warm enough here in NY to get Salty into his harness and spend some time outside in the warm sunshine. First time this year! And even though we still put his harness partially on him almost every night as a part of his training sessions, he squawked a bit putting it on all the way. Silly bird, when he so clearly likes being outside.

Yep Saturday was very nice here too Al..Amy and I did some errands,got some birdy supplies..forgot my "mask" and went to the local PetSmart..EVERYONE was wearing masks and Amy was chattering up a storm. He loves going for rides! Felt good to be out with him.

Jim

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

Yep Saturday was very nice here too Al..Amy and I did some errands,got some birdy supplies..forgot my "mask" and went to the local PetSmart..EVERYONE was wearing masks and Amy was chattering up a storm. He loves going for rides! Felt good to be out with him.

Jim

FYI: It is wise to place a mask on at home (maybe in stages) so that Amy gets use to you with a mask on... Our first mask day with Julio involved his removing them as soon as we placed them on. It took a few hours for him to allow us to wear them... :D

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I was wondering how your bird would take to you wearing a mask.
Bingo would not like it for beans, he objects when I put on my glasses.
Bingo only accepts certain apparel. A hat, glasses, shoes, even the wrong color of shirt can send him into attack mode.

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
We had a "sports night" for Salty's training session tonight. We idd allhis sports related tricks: riding his bike, shooting pool, Bowling, riding his skate board, played with his little soccer ball plus a few regular tricks that he loves. I was cheering him on like Howard Cosell.

He's been talking so much lately too, right around 4-4:30 as Geri starts puttering around the kitchen. Talking, singing, whistling and laughing - perfect Amazon. His beaky seems all better now, he just buzzsawed thru a $10 chew toy in a day.

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Salty on a talking jag. No picture, just audio

watch

Last edited by a moderator:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Salty has the voice of a Ring Neck.
Wes

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Wes that's because he LOVES to watch and listen to ringnecks on youtube. He learns new words and phrases almost immediately from those. Takes much longer when we try to teach him something.

Most Reactions