Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Tonight , after training session, we put on a Salty video from awhile ago. Salty immediately started to talk with the on-screen Salty, the kind of interested, happy sort of chattering. I brought him over to the couch so he could get a better look at the screen, and he flew in tight drone-like circles to get closer to the screen. Didn't make it and wound up on the floor in front of the tv screen. And then he did something we have never seen him do - from the floor, he took off and in more very tight circles, drone like, he flew UP to the level of the top of the screen and landed perfectly on the top lip of the TV. Geri and I were like "Did we just see that??". Salty has become quite proficient at level or slowly descending flight indoors, going the full length of the house and even doing a lap until deciding where to land. This is the first time we have seen him flying UP from the floor to some elevation and then landing perfectly where he wanted to. It may not sound like much of an accomplishment to some folks here, with fully flighted parrots, but to us and to Salty, who has, until recently, been a clipped parrot his whole life, it's a major milestone. It means even more supervision when he is out of his cage and there is even a slight chance someone might come in or go out of a door.

Last edited:
OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Just woke up from a horrible dream, where Salty had flown away. In the dream it had been awhile since it happened. It seems like it was near where I work, in NYC. I was on the elevated subway station there, and someone said they had seen him. I started calling out Salty! Salty!! Salty??? And the wave of sadness washed over me.
Like a river. Man I woke up bawling my eyes out. Just inconsolable. Geri woke up and helped me get my composure back, but still....

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Salty went to vet today. Full physical, fecal check and blood work and yes, wings trimmed and tootsies touched up. He was so calm, only yelling at the vet and aid once. He's fine now, and getting ready for the nights training session. BLood work is already in, and all is well with that, and the Doc says his physical exam is great. He got a nice scratchie session when we got home.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We are a fully flighted (indoor only) home for so many reasons. As you are aware, I do not recommend this life style unless there is strong guides in place and the question answered: Where's the Bird!

How is Salty reacting to the recent clip? They can become resentful, if they connect it to an individual.

Love the Salty updates Good Friend!

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Boats, with Covid procedures in place at our Vet, they take the bird in the parking lot and return them the same way. So Salty doesn't connect the clip or trauma of the visit with me, and I hope it continues that way. But 2 yrs ago, under normal conditions, I used to go into the exam room, and he didn't hold me responsible for the trimming etc. THe only times he gets resentful is when I'm away at a gig for a day or 2, and I neglect to let him know before hand. Then he gets plenty resentful and nippy!

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
PS... Salty just flew from cage top to top of my head, so the Doc can't have trimmed him much, which is OK by me, I just can't have him flying round the house, we're too slow to catch him!

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
A CLOSE CALL tonight!!

Salty and all of us were peacefully eating dinner (frozen pizza for the humans, chop with Nutraberries for Salty) when K-E-E-R-A-S-H-H the ceramic bowl I use for serving Salty's chop came down with a , well a crash, because Mr. I Get So Excited over pizza crusts was running back and forth that the ceramic bowl got knocked out its holder. Scared Geri and Eric and I, we all gave a little jump and Salty, he just shrugged it off and glided down to the floor ( all of 3-4 feet). Moral of the story? Parrot reflexes are not as finely tuned as one would suspect. ( And perhaps not as excitable as we are in some circumstances). It just missed him. Thank you St. Nutraberry patron saint of dumb parronts.

parrottoys

Jul 25, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
Parrots
tiny moluccan cockatoo
red tailed grey
Much like BIRDIGIRL keeps a running thread on Mr. Biggles,
who I am his biggest fan, I am going to so the same for Salty,
so I don't clog up the board with endless posts.

Right now he is in the bedroom with Geri and I chewing up today's bills. GOOD BOY! Before, he enjoyed his Friday night pizza crust and his favorite .. a chicken bone. He loves marrow.
You seem to not know that chicken bones are pure fat and splinter easily. Parrots should never have them. They are dangerous and unhealthy. There is a huge upswing of arteriosclerosis in parrots in the last 15 years. A huge upswing and it's primarily because of fat intake.

They do not have access to chicken bones in the wild and should NEVER have them in a domestic situation. You are allowing something that is going to do serious damage and likely death with fat, not to mention the shards from bones. Please do not continue with the dangerous behavior and please do not suggest to other that they do the same. Thank you.

D

Deleted member 42416

You seem to not know that chicken bones are pure fat and splinter easily. Parrots should never have them. They are dangerous and unhealthy. There is a huge upswing of arteriosclerosis in parrots in the last 15 years. A huge upswing and it's primarily because of fat intake.

They do not have access to chicken bones in the wild and should NEVER have them in a domestic situation. You are allowing something that is going to do serious damage and likely death with fat, not to mention the shards from bones. Please do not continue with the dangerous behavior and please do not suggest to other that they do the same. Thank you.

Dear Parrottoys,
One of the reasons I joined this forum is that everyone is so NICE. No harsh tones, no judgement. Pet ownership is a learning process for all of us. We offer gentle advice and support.

Wrench13 is an experienced parrot owner who has been a VERY long time member. Though I admire your passion, for future posts it may behoove you to ask about something before casting severe judgement.

Chicken bones can splinter…in dogs. So do pieces of wood/popsicle sticks, which I offer my parrots but never our dogs. Parrots have a different way of carefully picking things apart. Dogs devour, crunch, and swallow anything that might be remotely appealing, and never think about the consequences.

As for fat intake: every owner knows their bird best. We monitor our own cockatoo’s intake, but as a flighted bird he burns a lot of calories and so can occasionally partake of the pulled pork, pizza, fried chicken and mashed potatoes. No this isn’t an every day thing. And he gets to flock feed with the family. The vet agrees he is in perfect health.

We are all human and it is in our nature to judge, but how we express ourselves can make the difference between building bridges versus promoting isolation. What’s that saying? You attract more flies with honey than vinegar.

I feel so lucky to have found this forum; everyone has been so warm and welcoming!

I wish you the best and God Bless.

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Parrottoys, I , and many members give their parrots a chicken bone occasionally, like once every few months. They are an excellent source of calcium because bone is not all collagen. One member gives his BFA a whole chicken leg, skin, meat and all, and his parrot is 32 yrs old and healthy. Thanks for the warning, however bluntly stated.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)

A question. When have bones become pure fat?

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
A CLOSE CALL tonight!!

Salty and all of us were peacefully eating dinner (frozen pizza for the humans, chop with Nutraberries for Salty) when K-E-E-R-A-S-H-H the ceramic bowl I use for serving Salty's chop came down with a , well a crash, because Mr. I Get So Excited over pizza crusts was running back and forth that the ceramic bowl got knocked out its holder. Scared Geri and Eric and I, we all gave a little jump and Salty, he just shrugged it off and glided down to the floor ( all of 3-4 feet). Moral of the story? Parrot reflexes are not as finely tuned as one would suspect. ( And perhaps not as excitable as we are in some circumstances). It just missed him. Thank you St. Nutraberry patron saint of dumb parronts.
Al...the slightest noise...even a sneeze,will send BB in to a frenzy! flying/screaming/going helter skelter into walls not knowing what the hell he is doing! it freaks him out so much! Even now when he knows his sleeves are missing he'll try to fly only to land softly on the floor then he runs out of the room,down the hall back to his house.

Jim

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I myself have never given my parrots chicken bones. My ekkies beak wouldn't be able to do anything with a chicken bone. My conure doesn't like to try new things. If I put a chicken bone in her cage she'd scream bloody murder. Amazons must have strong beaks. I know at the parrot shelter they did give cockatoos a chicken bone. Parrots go crazy for them! My ekkie I give a half hard boiled egg, a piece of chicken, shredded pork, or things like this once in a while. I mean like once a month. He LOVES it! This is by far his favorite stuff to try. I'm sure parrots eat bugs in the wild. Those are protein. Does anyone know why parrots aren't allowed to have this stuff once in awhile? They go crazy for it. Does it cause health issues?

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Please don't let this descend into a Chicken Bone is Good/Bad debate. It's supposed to be Salty's life story thread and he firmly believes chicken bones are good. Not that its a bad topic for debate, just not here, thank you.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Please don't let this descend into a Chicken Bone is Good/Bad debate. It's supposed to be Salty's life story thread and he firmly believes chicken bones are good. Not that its a bad topic for debate, just not here, thank you.
I do apologize! I will start this topic elsewhere. That way we can just have updates on salty as this is his thread! Again, my apologies to both of you.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Amy has been noshing chicken bone's on occasion most of his 32 years..even his CAV has said a good source of protein etc..like everything else MODERATION is key

Jim

D

Deleted member 42416

Norrie says beer is good for the soul. And a beer belly. He can’t get enough of it. ***(Shhhh…What he actually consumes is the condensation outside of a cold can or bottle, but I’ve told him it’s the best part that percolates through to the outside!)*****
7E47BECE-95C4-426B-B390-8B27E9E6A62F.jpeg

Most Reactions