Right now Salty is.....

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
SO this is a post to advise anyone who is going to leave their parrot for a few days. If you tell them about it and graphically show them, with fingers or other things, how many days you'll be gone, it really lessens the pissed off parrot period when you return. I was just away at a concert series for 3 days, and I showed Salty with 3 fingers how many days and explained it to him several times. And tonight , first night back, he was fine, no bitey bitey, and took a nice scratchie session.

It really works people!!
I love my budgies but I don't think they are smart enough to understand like a big parrot like Salty, who's exceptionally intelligent. (but don't tell them I said that)!

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
I'm never gone longer than a few hours at a time, but I always explain to Ralph where I'm going and how long I expect to be gone. Some folks who aren't parrot people think it's silly or downright crazy, but around here, we know better.

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
A boring update, new batch of chop made. 30 baggies w/ about 1/2 quart of chop, each frozen, to be thawed piece by piece upon demand. About 3 months. No Habanero peppers at our local S/M, wonder why? Added a few new things; Radicchio, a chunk of Brussel sprout ea serving, Dandelion greens and matchstick carrots instead of those 'baby' carrots.

Brussel spout
Radicchio
Matchstick carrot
fresh corn, from the cob
Baby Kale
Broccoli head
Parsley
Collard greens
1 red and 1 yellow Bell peppers
3 handfuls of Jalapeno peppers
3 big handfuls of Red Chile peppers
3 big handfuls of green Chile peppers
1 lb Green beans

I prep all the peppers 1st and let them drain a lot before adding to the big stainless bowl - makes a big difference, far too watery for freezing. i always start the change to different recipes with a baggie of fresh non-frozen chop. If Salty's reaction to this night's dinner is any indicator, I think we have a winner again. Bird LOVES his chop on the hot/spicy side! Like a dope, as usual, I touched my eye just before the final wash up - I am amazed by how hot Salty likes his chop! Still stinging hours later.

At some point, I'd like to add squash to his chop, but the local market has it pre-chunked, but it also has cinnamon on it. Pretty sure that cinnamon is a no-no - comments anyone?

Bon appetite

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Oh that's a great tip about the peppers! I just started making mini batches a month or so ago and want to start making batches to freeze.

I'd be wary of the cinnamon spiced squash; I think the majority of cinnamon used in the US is cassia and not safe.

Have you looked in the freezer section? Butternut squash is pretty common in frozen chunks here.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
SO this is a post to advise anyone who is going to leave their parrot for a few days. If you tell them about it and graphically show them, with fingers or other things, how many days you'll be gone, it really lessens the pissed off parrot period when you return. I was just away at a concert series for 3 days, and I showed Salty with 3 fingers how many days and explained it to him several times. And tonight , first night back, he was fine, no bitey bitey, and took a nice scratchie session.

It really works people!!
I’m definitely going to try this before I’ll be away in October for 12 days. I definitely believe this can work. Don’t you get amazed when explaining something to your bird and you can tell from the way they look at you - they get it? Never gets old.

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Oh that's a great tip about the peppers! I just started making mini batches a month or so ago and want to start making batches to freeze.

I'd be wary of the cinnamon spiced squash; I think the majority of cinnamon used in the US is cassia and not safe.

Have you looked in the freezer section? Butternut squash is pretty common in frozen chunks here.

Oh we can get squash here, just a PIA to cut into Salty size chunks. He gets squash every now and again, he loves it. Acorn squash is perfect, he eats 1/2 and we save the other for a few days and then use that up.

Draining the excess water out of chop to be frozen is critical in avoiding slimy and mushy veggies when thawed out. Out of the batch I just made i think almost a cup of water was drained off.

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
Oh we can get squash here, just a PIA to cut into Salty size chunks. He gets squash every now and again, he loves it. Acorn squash is perfect, he eats 1/2 and we save the other for a few days and then use that up.

Draining the excess water out of chop to be frozen is critical in avoiding slimy and mushy veggies when thawed out. Out of the batch I just made i think almost a cup of water was drained off.
Hey what kind of bird is salty?

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Correct, Rozalka! His is a Cites 1 species, so he is domestically hatched and raised. Its a privilege having Salty in our family!

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
So we have not published any new trick training videos with Salty in quite awhile. Tonight I videoed a special session trying to cram as many tricks as we could into a < 20 minute video. We managed to get 27 tricks completed in 19 minutes - Unedited! I don't include in that number any tricks that involved the hand-off or return of any blocks, balls or other props used in the trick. I think he refused 4 or 5 tricks in this session. He was definitely off his game tonight - New video camera, different lighting, Geri was not present ,and she and I had been discussing a very emotionally upsetting topic just prior to the session. He usually rips right thru these sessions; you'll see a lot of hesitation and reconsideration on his part, can't say I blame him. I hope everyone enjoys the video !

Salty Parrot Tricks 6-22/23

Last edited:

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
I just love this!!! It reminds me so much of Ona and I training. Salty is so smart! Great work you two! I really enjoyed the "answer the phone", roll over, and the block stacking. I would love to teach Ona the roll over but I'm not sure she'd go for that. She does the bowling and shopping too :) She has the same skateboard but I haven't tried to teach her anything with it yet.

Isn't it funny how they get stage fright sometimes? Ona does the same thing at times when I try to record her or show off her tricks to someone else. I tell her the same "come on you know how to do it" hehe.

Salty did really well showing off so many tricks back to back!

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
I would love to do small little 'shows' at the nursing homes here on Long Island, I think the folks there would get a charge from seeing his act. I just cant guarantee that he would not 'freeze up'

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
So we have not published any new trick training videos with Salty in quite awhile. Tonight I videoed a special session trying to cram as many tricks as we could into a < 20 minute video. We managed to get 27 tricks completed in 19 minutes - Unedited! I don't include in that number any tricks that involved the hand-off or return of any blocks, balls or other props used in the trick. I think he refused 4 or 5 tricks in this session. He was definitely off his game tonight - New video camera, different lighting, Geri was not present ,and she and I had been discussing a very emotionally upsetting topic just prior to the session. He usually rips right thru these sessions; you'll see a lot of hesitation and reconsideration on his part, can't say I blame him. I hope everyone enjoys the video !

Salty Parrot Tricks 6-22/23
I love the video! Thank you so much for sharing now I am motivated than ever to teach my cockatiel tricks.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Julio and I commonly visited my dear mother when she was in a nursing home and as part of our visit was a show and tell with Julio being at the center of the show, plus he would alway take a room tour above the heads of others to their great joy. It is a great experience for all. Julio always enjoyed the attention. Yes there are times in which he would just glare at me and I would simply move on to something else as I explained that he is displaying his wants!

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Brick wall just encountered! I finally found a set of parrot skates that are appropriately sized for a small amazon, most are for parakeets and cockatiels. BUT - they are kryptonite to Salty! SO every nite now, I am bribing him to get progressively closer and closer to them. I can see this is going to be like the harness - weeks and weeks of work with Salty, every nite.

And YAY - Salty's life story thread hit a quarter of a million + views!! Thanks so much everyone!

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yesterday morning was Clean the Cage Day! We do vacuum Salty's cage often, but yesterday I got out the steam generator, a variety of brushes and pads and took everything out of his cage to detail clean all the surfaces. For reference, Salty only gets dry foods in his cage - pellets, Nutraberries and walnuts, so there is not any gunky, decomposable foods inside his cage. Those types of foods and his chop are given to him in his feeding station located on his play chain, where clean up daily is super easy. Salty did NOT like having his cage deep cleaned (he never does) and it put him in a bad mood all day, despite several treats and urgings to be chill about it. But by evening, he was cool with his training session. I am sure he could give a crow's ass if his cage was clean or not, but it sure made me and Mrs Wrench feel good, LOL.

Dancake

Mar 8, 2020
United States
Parrots
Bubby (U2)
Yesterday morning was Clean the Cage Day! We do vacuum Salty's cage often, but yesterday I got out the steam generator, a variety of brushes and pads and took everything out of his cage to detail clean all the surfaces. For reference, Salty only gets dry foods in his cage - pellets, Nutraberries and walnuts, so there is not any gunky, decomposable foods inside his cage. Those types of foods and his chop are given to him in his feeding station located on his play chain, where clean up daily is super easy. Salty did NOT like having his cage deep cleaned (he never does) and it put him in a bad mood all day, despite several treats and urgings to be chill about it. But by evening, he was cool with his training session. I am sure he could give a crow's ass if his cage was clean or not, but it sure made me and Mrs Wrench feel good, LOL.
Oh I can definitely relate! Titan gets pissed any time I clean up anything in our room! (Especially when I take out the trash ROTFL.)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Julio does not get upset about cleaning, unless it is happen around where he is at. Kind of like; it is important for the staff to complete their work, but disturbing ME, where I am at!! No!! Full on Display with warnings! Once the other areas are completed, he of course inspects them to assure they are to his liking, while allowing the staff to clean where he was.

Its clear he knows, he owns the home and all those lucky enough to be allowed to live within!

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
You have inspired me! I recently took Ona's big cage outside and deep cleaned it with the garden hose but I still need to clean her play gym. I think the steam cleaner would be perfect for that!

Ona gets mad when I change the papers in her cage or clean it :rolleyes: Screams the whole time. I always say "excuse me for giving you a sanitary environment and touching your things!"

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
I have a Shark brand steam cleaner, which comes with all sorts of attachments and a hose. It really works well.

Most Reactions