Safe or am I crazy?

RodeoCowboy

Sep 2, 2014
Okalhoma
Ok, so my GCC was housed with Quakers and Love birds and a Congo. so I have fallen in love with Yellow Collar Macaws and want to purchase a hand fed baby this December or so. I was wondering since I have a large cage if I slowly introduced them together my GCC being 4yrs old and very social and played well with the Quakers and others never nips, if I could eventually house them together if the YC Macaw is raised with the GCC I know it may be crazy so I need opinions and If not what other bird would be suitable because I know he misses his birdie buddies

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I wouldn't, I'd take then out together and let them have play time together, but as birds mature and hormonal aggression develops they really needs some alone time occasionally.

Phlox

Jun 16, 2014
Sometimes mixed species works, but only when there are really close in size and temperament. (I have a tiel, budgie and dove that live together.)

A GCC is teeny compared to a Yellow Collared. (I love them both BTW) I wouldn't do it....like for example, my Amazon is a really skittish, passive bird so I don't worry about my GCC and MBC being out at the same time, but I'd never cage them together. Passive or not, one warning "nip" from a BFA could snap a conure's little neck.

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
I would agree with other members - at least you need to supervise very closely for the first time. I have a lovebird and two budgies living together happily in one cage, and when I'm taking them outside I add my gcc to the cage without any problem. They are all friendly birds, but little quarrels happened before, and I have trained them not to fight.
The new mac you are getting must get a log with all of them very well - which is quite unlikely. It's very hard to tell until you actually get the bird and learn what character he has.

Most Reactions

Latest posts