Sand Perch

Lucky123

Feb 26, 2013
Hello everyone..

So today I purchased a sand perch for my new lovebird. Its from the company Insight and its a perch that I have seen in pets stores for many years. I attached the perch to the cage and my lovebird got on it right away. He started rubbing his beak on it and then started biting it. It seems he likes to bite everything. Problem is that after a while it seemed like he was choking on something. He started extending his neck and bobbing his head up and down very fast until he regurgitated something white - the perch is white. I know these sand perches are good to keep nails trim. Is it safe for him to try and bite the perch? I removed it from the cage promptly, has anyone else had this issue with the sand perch?

Thank you all in advance. :whiteblue:

mistywaterwoman

Jan 25, 2013
New Orleans, LA
Parrots
2 Peach-faced lovebirds (1 SeaGreen)
I have a pumice perch, it's green. My birds rub their beak on it but I've never seen them bite it. :/

They head-bob a lot while on it, but have never regurgitated or choked...

This is the one I have:
Sweet Feet and Beak Pumice Perch - Sale - Bird - PetSmart

edited to add: I also keep a bowl next to it with their nutriberries in it, so they sit there a lot of pick at the berries, so maybe that is distracting them enough to keep them from chewing the perch...

OP
Lucky123

Lucky123

Feb 26, 2013
I dont know why he loves to taste and bite everything.

Ur birds are super duper cute btw.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I have a pumice perch, it's green. My birds rub their beak on it but I've never seen them bite it. :/

They head-bob a lot while on it, but have never regurgitated or choked...

This is the one I have:
Sweet Feet and Beak Pumice Perch - Sale - Bird - PetSmart

edited to add: I also keep a bowl next to it with their nutriberries in it, so they sit there a lot of pick at the berries, so maybe that is distracting them enough to keep them from chewing the perch...
i have the same perch for Rosie, it's fantastic and safer than sand.

OP
Lucky123

Lucky123

Feb 26, 2013
Thats good to hear! Do you think its safe for me to put the perch back in?

cdnbirdlover

Aug 24, 2012
Canada
Parrots
Peach faced lovebird Basil
Make sure that any abrasive perch you use is down low in the cage, ideally close to the food source, as the birdies will often grind or rub their beaks after eating. Having it low in the cage also reduces the likelihood of birdie sleeping on the perch (not good for feet to sleep on that kind of perch).

Most Reactions