Second bird type, what would you get?

evesta

Mar 22, 2012
Nebraska
Parrots
House and Wilson-Lineolated Parakeet Brothers
I have been so in love with my two Linnie boys since the day I met them. They are a blast and are properly spoiled. Everyday is a new discovery and adventure. Wilson last night started saying "here kitty, kitty, kitty." He is such a shy guy but man is he a little talker!! Anyway, down the line I would like to add another bird to our flock. It probably won't be for a year or so but I just wanted to get some feedback from people on recomendations for the "next step" bird.

Honestly my linnie boys are pretty laid back but they are still parrots and definately have their moments. One day they like something, next day they change their mind. I get bit pretty good but normally I am good with reading their body language and it doesn't happen. Also one is very good with my 6 year old son and the other just avoids him for the most part. I have a toddler but they don't come out of the cage when she is around, they come out during her naps, bedtime, etc. Luckily when they are in her cage she likes to give the cage hugs but she isn't that interested but has learned the word "burd";)

So continuing research and checking out some birds when I was in the Denver area last week here are a list of birds I find interesting and think might make a good fit. Cocketiel: Honestly I never even considered these guys but met some hand raised babies that changed my mind last week. Very sweet but I think I would like a more challenging bird. Green Cheek Conure or Maroon Bellied Conure: This was the bird I was originally going to get before I decided on my boys. I know they are nippy, so is House so I think I can handle that. I just think they are super cute and have great big bird personality. Blue Headed Pinous: I love the look of these birds and I've read they are pretty easy going for a bigger bird. There is a local breeder here too so they would be easy to find. Hawns Macaw: I think these guys are SUPER adorable but don't know much about their personality. A Hawns might be tougher to locate. Quaker: I met a few at a rescue and love how they look and they seemed really sweet and interested in chatting with me even though they were shy.

So that is the list for right now. Any insight or suggestions? I'm sure I'll change my mind a hundred times but it is fun to plan for a possible future flock friend!!!

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
i am currently owned by an 11m0 old green quaker parot that I bought hjand fed and hand tamed from a pet store in port charrolette fla. whom I would not tr4de for anything he is such a little doll. fiesty knows what he wants but is a huggy kissy bug.my husband and I absolutly adore him. he is so much fun and just starting to say things like step up and givivg kissy noises. you cant go wrong with a quaker. just my opininun Alison and sweetie pie:D

OP
evesta

evesta

Mar 22, 2012
Nebraska
Parrots
I think a quaker or green cheek is what I am leaning towards most. I want a bird with a good sense of humor. I learned from picking House and Wilson that the right bird really picks you. House definately picked me and we took Wilso too because he was a sweetie and we didn't want to break up the brothers.

Obviously they wouldn't be caged with my linnies but do GCC and quakers usually get along with other birds?

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
There is a quaker parrot forum .com One word with lots of info on Quakers and a lot of owners have many small type birds and bigger birds as well. I only have my quaker who is out most of the day and a canary who is always in his cage about 12 inches a away. they watch each other but do not interact. Lineolated parakeets besides being so darn cute they are quite a bit smaller than a quaker. Hopefully someone with more experience with multiple birds can give you more answers. Alison and sweetie pie:D

OP
evesta

evesta

Mar 22, 2012
Nebraska
Parrots
Thanks, I will check out the site!

Most Reactions

Latest posts