Sun Conure won't get off cage.

Lt_dan

Jun 4, 2013
My female sun conure has been really tough to get out of her cage for the past month or two. I don't know what it is. Sometimes it can take me 5 or 10 minutes to get out of her cage. Other times I will just flat out give up. Once I get her out, she's is very sweet and doesn't seem to be afraid of me in any way. She is 11 years old and I have never had this issue before. The only thing I can think of is that she might be in heat. I would think I would have had to deal with this already because she is 11. She did just have her first egg ever a few months ago. Is it possible that she could take this long to become sexually mature? I read that I should have a bird out for at least a few hours a day, but I can't do that if she doesn't let me take her out.

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
My Blue crown has been like that ever since I got him I think some birds are just shy. The best way for me to get my BCC out is by putting his play tree stand outside the cage door with some treats in plain sight and leave the door open to the cage until he comes out. Sometimes he will step up for me from inside the cage also. Female Suns mature around 1-2 years but I had one who didnt lay her first egg until we moved when she was 3. Sometimes something new in her environment will start making her want to produce eggs.

OP
L

Lt_dan

Jun 4, 2013
Yeah, but I've had her for almost 11 years now and she has never behaved like this. I can still talk to her and everything. She comes to the front of the cage whenever I go to the cage. She still lets me pet her. She just takes a super long time to get out of the cage. It used to take 30 seconds tops. A few months ago I would open the cage and she would just walk out onto my hand. The good news is she is sitting on my shoulder right now. The bad news is it took me 10 minutes to get her out.

OP
L

Lt_dan

Jun 4, 2013
One more thing. I just went to your youtube channel. How many birds do you have?

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
oh Im sorry I dont know what to tell you the :/ hopefully someone who knows how to help will see this thread. And I have 8 birds currently (they are all the ones in my signature picture) and my sister has 1 bird :)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Maybe go back to square one? Teach target training and step up using positive reinforcement?

Make sure that she has something more interesting to come out to when you want her out?

Most Reactions