Talking Budgie OR other Parrot... Need only one?

vljenewein

Dec 1, 2021
Fennville, MI
Parrots
Rocky & Adrian - Budgerigars
If you are looking for a budgie to talk, will it happen if you have 2 Budgies? In the parrot world does it take just a single parrot to make or break success of talking?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
It's more likely with one but will work with two. Give them time alone outside the cage to practice individually. But don't be disappointed if your budgies don't talk. Most of them just never will.

OP
vljenewein

vljenewein

Dec 1, 2021
Fennville, MI
Parrots
From what I am reading it is a hit or miss with any parrot. You might have an African Gray, or other, and there is no guarantee that he/she will ever talk or mimic human sounds. Some "species' of parrots, however, are simply not known for talking. On a Youtube channel I was watching, he did mention that generally the quieter the parrot, the less chance it is to talk.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
From what I am reading it is a hit or miss with any parrot. You might have an African Gray, or other, and there is no guarantee that he/she will ever talk or mimic human sounds. Some "species' of parrots, however, are simply not known for talking. On a Youtube channel I was watching, he did mention that generally the quieter the parrot, the less chance it is to talk.
I don't like saying this but MOST LIKELY to talk are greys and zons. This does NOT mean they will. And any quiet bird can say any amount of words too.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Also…the fact that you expect your bird to talk is something I must say I don’t like. I think if the bird talks it will be a pleasant surprise, you can’t just TRAIN a bird to talk

OP
vljenewein

vljenewein

Dec 1, 2021
Fennville, MI
Parrots
With two budgies it is possible too
Thank you for that. I also see, upon looking, that there are those that have multiple birds and some talk, some don't. Would be kind of interesting if, and it's a big if, a Budgie would start mimicking words. They have their own unique little langue on it's own though. Cute as buttons. Pet store told me budgies never talk. But DISCO and PUCK have shown that Budgerigars can speak but they probably don't quite know what they are saying. I mean... " Why did the Spanish cross the road" Disco would say.. LOL

There is also a video on Youtube that does give pointers on how to train your Budgie to talk. It's a learned process like anything. But, in the end, it all depends on the bird and if they feel the need to communicate with humans. Some even speak multiple languages. Now that would be fun to keep track of!!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Talking is entirely up to the parrot. Some talk, some whistle and some mimic sounds. And some do all three! Personally I think its a combination of how much time you spend one on one with your parrot and whatever natural proclivities the individual has. Salty does all 3 above, my last parrot. Max ( a canary winged parrot /parakeet) just whistled. He knew a few different songs but he never talked.

OP
vljenewein

vljenewein

Dec 1, 2021
Fennville, MI
Parrots
Talking is entirely up to the parrot. Some talk, some whistle and some mimic sounds. And some do all three!
Yes, I do believe that mimicry is a trait that some do...some don't. Depends on the parrot really. I am not mad at the birds for not talking or even if they ever talk. I just figure it a "challenge" to get Rocky to say a word or two. Adrian is a female and I don't think it is that often that females of the parrots do much mimicry. Single birds, especially male single birds, are more prone to talking I have been told. I was just curious if having 2 of them sort of negates the desire of either of them to talk.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
in some species like cockatiel and budgie the males are slightly more likely than females. But in other species either or is equally as likely.
My female ( DNA tested) GCC talks daily , tho didn't start till 5 years old. GCC aren't known for talking, but currently she is the best and says the most , while my quakers who are known for talking, lately very rarely say hello . But my female DNA tested, Penny has several phrases, words, and beeps and cat and dog noises she can make. Sometimes she is chatty and also she can go weeks or months without talking.
They do like when I repeat back whatever they say.

I swear I've heard both of my budgies say pretty bird ....but each time they were joining in when the others were all saying pretty burd and being loud....so I've never heard them say it when I'm looking at them and could hear and confirm ....

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My experience is with Cockatiels.
First Cockatiel could say pretty bird very clearly.
Second Cockatiel learned pretty bird from the first.
After a few years both stopped saying it.
tried to keep it in use but could never get them to talk again.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Yes, I do believe that mimicry is a trait that some do...some don't. Depends on the parrot really. I am not mad at the birds for not talking or even if they ever talk. I just figure it a "challenge" to get Rocky to say a word or two. Adrian is a female and I don't think it is that often that females of the parrots do much mimicry. Single birds, especially male single birds, are more prone to talking I have been told. I was just curious if having 2 of them sort of negates the desire of either of them to talk.
My female caique would mimic my budgies all the time so I’m not so sure this applies. Of course that wasn’t talking and my males do more, but I think it’s all about the individual bird. The most important thing in “teaching” mimicry is a lot of love.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Thank you for that. I also see, upon looking, that there are those that have multiple birds and some talk, some don't. Would be kind of interesting if, and it's a big if, a Budgie would start mimicking words. They have their own unique little langue on it's own though. Cute as buttons. Pet store told me budgies never talk. But DISCO and PUCK have shown that Budgerigars can speak but they probably don't quite know what they are saying. I mean... " Why did the Spanish cross the road" Disco would say.. LOL

There is also a video on Youtube that does give pointers on how to train your Budgie to talk. It's a learned process like anything. But, in the end, it all depends on the bird and if they feel the need to communicate with humans. Some even speak multiple languages. Now that would be fun to keep track of!!
There is no “talking species”. It’s THE INDIVIDUAL BIRD (sorry if that sounded rude; I just capitalized because it’s very important to know that)
A bird with a great owner and plenty of patience will be more likely to talk IMO. They also learn faster out of the cage. Just tips, ig

Last edited:
OP
vljenewein

vljenewein

Dec 1, 2021
Fennville, MI
Parrots
My female caique would mimic my budgies all the time so I’m not so sure this applies.
As @Laurasea said above, I think that it may be true that Budgerigars/Parakeets and Cockatiels are more "male" prone to talking, and with other species it is either/or sex that talks.
They are fun and chatty birds!! Funny in that they seriously don't like things that are new.
I put in a small bowl with some wheat and soil in it that I sprouted and grew about 2 inches tall so far. You would think I put a King Cobra in there, the way Rocky reacted. They don't go near it!! LOL I was hoping they might decide to nibble on the wheat grass a bit. We'll see. I even put in a small spray of millet in the center of the grass. It still remains. :)

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
As @Laurasea said above, I think that it may be true that Budgerigars/Parakeets and Cockatiels are more "male" prone to talking, and with other species it is either/or sex that talks.
They are fun and chatty birds!! Funny in that they seriously don't like things that are new.
I put in a small bowl with some wheat and soil in it that I sprouted and grew about 2 inches tall so far. You would think I put a King Cobra in there, the way Rocky reacted. They don't go near it!! LOL I was hoping they might decide to nibble on the wheat grass a bit. We'll see. I even put in a small spray of millet in the center of the grass. It still remains. :)
Oh cool! Budgies love sprouts, just give them some time. I put it in their chop, try that if you want them to eat it :)
What seeds did you sprout?

OP
vljenewein

vljenewein

Dec 1, 2021
Fennville, MI
Parrots
What seeds did you sprout?
I sprouted wheat seeds. We have pounds of wheat for grinding into flour with our mill. I have soft white spring, Kamut Korisan wheat, Bronze Chief, and some Prairie Gold white hard spring wheat. The only soft (low in gluten protein) wheat I have is the Soft White spring wheat, and unsure of it's variety name.
So you all now, HARD wheat is just wheat that is higher gluten for bread making. SOFT wheat is wheat with lower protein content uses for pastries, pies, cakes biscuits, etc. Does not denote whether the outer coating is hard or soft, just the protein of a variety.

This is not "sprouts" though it is wheat grass that is now about 3 inches tall. You can find it sometimes in Meijer stores sold as wheat grass for teas or that cats like to consume in the winter.

OP
vljenewein

vljenewein

Dec 1, 2021
Fennville, MI
Parrots
I have no "high" expectations of either of them talking, and that's OK. If they do, they do, and will be kind of interesting... I started giving them a new phrase I repeat over and over again to them... " I'm finally getting used to being in this body." IF either of them ever says this it will sound funny to any guest that sees them...

Most Reactions