May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
It's so pretty! I do love string lights 😍 I have a little patio with a metal roof on the back of my house and I have lights there - it's so cheery! I agree that it's happier somehow than a bright overhead light.
It may be because the light is evenly distributed yet not too bright. The lights are only on sometimes, and I only use warm lights, never white or blue (or any other color that has a lot of blue light). I tend to gravitate towards an orangey-red, as that is easiest on my eyes, has minimal blue light, and the birds seem to like it, and are able to fully relax with it.

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
My closet is becoming the bird aviary. This is the closet that their cages are already in, but I'm going to open both the doors so they become "walls" of the indoor aviary, then I'll screen it off with fiberglass mesh (or stainless steel if they are chewing the mesh, so we'll see). It will be a large space, around 16 square feet (probably more). I'd really like to have my room not be an aviary, however I still want them to have space to fly a bit and plenty of space to just hang out. And of course, they will have free roam time, plus time to fly even more in our large living room. The aviary will be for when I want time to myself, or when I need to keep them confined. Plus, it's about half the price of a single flight cage, and I would need multiple, due to my territorial girls. The aviary should have enough space for the girls to be separate if they choose.

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
What a cool idea, Stormy! I'm excited to see it take shape!
Believe me, so am I! I'm going to start moving their stuff today.

Most Reactions