Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie

View attachment 39588

"I give you hens some hot kissesz later!"
RB I got some more chiles! You'll have enough for a lifetime!
1651820744872.png

Also I think you'll like this one :)
1651820863031.png

(No I didn't taste test them, otherwise I'd be no more! Apologise in advance for bad tasting chiles)

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
We’re those…Hatch chilis?
Somebody's been doing their research!
Well, yes, indeed, the best chiles in the world are from Hatch, New Mexico, breeding location of His Majesty himself. I was in school in Las Cruces, NM, New Mexico State,, and blew an entire work-study check to buy him on that fateful day in '84.
During harvest, you could make a few stops along the rural highways and pick up chiles that fell off of a few of the farm trucks, and have a bushel of peppers for canning, smoking, drying... or in my case, parrot-feeding. Those were the days...
When we first moved up North, you could rarely find Hatch... MAYBE canned... but now, their fans have spread, and you can even grab a bag in Cleveland, Ohio... Land of the Yankees. They are so coveted that there are fake-labeled Hatch chiles, so you need to trust your grocer.
From Wikipedia...
"Hatch chile is a label for New Mexico chile grown in the Hatch Valley, in and around Hatch, New Mexico, which has large acreages dedicated to the crop.[12] It is an important crop to New Mexico's economy and culture,[6][13] and it is sold worldwide including Europe, Australia, and Japan.[14][15]
New Mexico green chile flavor has been described as lightly pungent similar to an onion, or like garlic with a subtly sweet, spicy, crisp, and smoky taste.[16] The ripened red retains the flavor, but adds an earthiness and bite while aging mellows the front-heat[clarification needed] and delivers more of a back-heat[clarification needed].[17][18] The spiciness depends on the variety of New Mexico chile pepper.[19]"

Seriously, they ARE great.

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Well, well, well...

I was honored by the following thread... congratulating me and mine on our 8th anniversary here.

Thank you, Terry, one and all.

By coincidence, my family and I are also celebrating our 25th anniversary (in the same week) of relocating to Cleveland from New Mexico. The Rb was 12 tears old. I was... uhhh... 29! Again!!!

Thank you, PF!

NM.jpg

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I love this photo so much!!!!

New Mexico Re/max sign; New Mexico t-shirt; a stately The Rickeybird; a most beautiful @GaleriaGila; a pixelated view of Cotton's green headed naked ancestor above your head that he is trying to tell me is a tree 🤭

And the time stamp in the corner that had me realizing exactly where I was in the world and in my life and days from learning I was pregnant with my son when this photo was taken as you and the Rickeybird were embarking on a different adventure but adventure all the same ;)

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Wow, Cottonoid, just... wow!
This Community we have here really is amazing... the things we share, and how and when, sometimes when we don't even know it's happening.
Thank you for this!

And... how did I fail to notice the transcendental parrot spirit perching on my head???

Most Reactions