LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh, mannnnnnnnnnnnn, now there is a fun idea for a thread, or a few posts...
A Cheesecake Calendar... of sexy hens... or hey, why not "The Roosters of PF" with buff boy-birds posing and flexing?
Okay, somebody should do that. Anybody? Go ahead?
I will slack around and maybe give it a try this weekend.
I mean... THAT would be some funny stuff right there!
Challenge Accepted!!!

I present this pretty pair for your delectation, Aunty G! Cheesecake or Beefcake, I know you will agree these two have all bases of masculine pulchritude covered between them! 🥰

I would like to suggest Valentino as "Mr February" cos February 14 is his gotcha day. 😍

hd02qEj.jpg

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
OH, GOOD GLORY, MARTINUKA!!!!!
Alright, then, once again, she exposes and exploits my profound vulnerability to buff green budgies and sloe-eyed hirsute rmenfolk. Yeah, Valentino can have February, but your ol' man gets the whole year.
Okay, I gotta get busy here...!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
And, in the BUFF ROOSTERS category...
MR. SEPTEMBER!
Hang on a moment... wait for it...

I wish to pay tribute to Mr September by way of haiku.

"Barbarians!! Bow
Before Budgie Boy Buffness!
Breathtaking Bird Boss!"

どうもありがとうございます

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird Medical Update

In response to your kind inquiries, here is the sketchy lay person version of the Rb's issues.

To start with, he's going on 39, the rough equivalent of a 95-ish-year-old-man.

Hematocrit reveals high percentage of red blood cells, which is a flag for over-production due to poor circulation system... i.e., the body isn't getting circulation and perceives this as not enough red blood cells. Unfortunately, this only results in sludge-like blood due to too-much-red-blood cell percentage. Eventual result, heart failure due to strain. So there are meds that help. Enalapril... helped for a while. Then began to fail. I still continue that, and will.
Tried Isoxsuprine to augment the Enalapril, but he refuses it. I'm still trying to get it in him but it is FUNKY-tasting. Meanwhile, hematocrit creeps up. Healthy number is 50... his has been rising, is now 60. Critical is 70-plus. So... vet wants to do an outpatient procedure where he simply takes out a bunch of blood, thus lessening the concentration, thinning the blood, perhaps resetting the system, while I continue to attempt better administration of Isox... various juices, sauces, whatever may make it palatable. Due to my muscular dystrophy, I can't restrain him for meds, not even sure that would be productive...
Bottom line, he has to ingest meds willingly, through trickey, flavoring, whatever.
So in two weeks, we go in for the procedure. It really won't be much scarier for him than the routine blood tests, and he will only be away from me for 45 minutes or so. I will of course be crying and hopefully not throwing up. I'm SOOOOOO mature about this stuff. My own medical issues? I'm good. The bird's issues? I'm a hysterical embarrassment to myself. Happily, Vet is a wonder, a master, an international DUDE, and has seen the Rb since '97. when we moved back up North. He genuinely loves birds, especially his special buddy, and I trust him completely. So.
So.
Having been unable to have kids, my amygdala (the main locus of maternal attachment to infantile stimuli) has definitely grabbed on to the Rb's tail and he is my neuro-child. LOL
What am I gonna do?
I'm gonna do what can be done until the treatment is more odious than the symptoms. I wanted a long life with my bird... does the phrase "be careful what you wish for" come to mind? Nawwwwwww... I'm grateful. We will work it out. Friends and family don't really get it, but... Y'ALL DO! And I'm so happy to have you here.
And that's the Rb update.

Rb TALK.jpg

"No, is all liez, Im fine. Ridicululious! Wherez the chilleez?"​

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
People yaaaa!! They barely understand human with human relationships. Come with a Parrot and the clueless factor raises vertically. I have found that with a known group, I do not even discuss or bring-up the topic.

You are so very correct, as other Parrot lovers do deeply understand. Know that we are here and will be long into the future, dear friend.

RB Strong!! With Huge Warm Amazon Feather Hugs and our Prayers flowing your way dear friend!!

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
All our hopes, Aunty G, from MrLK and me and our little flock. Sending a Universe of strength to the Rb, and all our love and prayers to all three of you too 💖💖💖🙏🙏🙏

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Awww my big Sistah, count me in on sending all the prayers, positive vibes, hugs and love that I can send to all of you there. RB Strong indeed!!! 🙏🤗❤️

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Where have you all BEEN all my life?
How I treasure you.
Rb goes back in tomorrow. I promise a full report.

Geez... ya know... I'm re-reading this thread... over the years...
And I'm feeling pretty strong, thanks to that. I have really done right by the ill-tempered old rooster. I adore him, and always will. I will be strong for him and grateful for our decades together.

Film at 11.

NO, NOT REALLY!

Thanks, darlings.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Aunty G, it's us who need to thank you. You've been there for each and every one of us, again and again, in times of great joy and devastating heartache, the pages of the epic Scrapbook bear witness to your incredible strength and generosity of spirit. We treasure you too, and your marvellous ill-tempered rooster and the magnificent Rival - you three are stronger together, and all of us are stronger because of you. 💖 💖 💖

animated-thank-you-image-0111.gif

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I can't believe I missed this. Sending prayers and much love to you and Rb, and I hope yesterday vet visit went well.

Aunty G, it's us who need to thank you. You've been there for each and every one of us, again and again, in times of great joy and devastating heartache, the pages of the epic Scrapbook bear witness to your incredible strength and generosity of spirit. We treasure you too, and your marvellous ill-tempered rooster and the magnificent Rival - you three are stronger together, and all of us are stronger because of you. 💖 💖 💖

animated-thank-you-image-0111.gif

There is no way I could have said this as eloquently as Mart, but I agree with all my heart.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
In response to your kind inquiries, here is the sketchy lay person version of the Rb's issues.

To start with, he's going on 39, the rough equivalent of a 95-ish-year-old-man.

Hematocrit reveals high percentage of red blood cells, which is a flag for over-production due to poor circulation system... i.e., the body isn't getting circulation and perceives this as not enough red blood cells. Unfortunately, this only results in sludge-like blood due to too-much-red-blood cell percentage. Eventual result, heart failure due to strain. So there are meds that help. Enalapril... helped for a while. Then began to fail. I still continue that, and will.
Tried Isoxsuprine to augment the Enalapril, but he refuses it. I'm still trying to get it in him but it is FUNKY-tasting. Meanwhile, hematocrit creeps up. Healthy number is 50... his has been rising, is now 60. Critical is 70-plus. So... vet wants to do an outpatient procedure where he simply takes out a bunch of blood, thus lessening the concentration, thinning the blood, perhaps resetting the system, while I continue to attempt better administration of Isox... various juices, sauces, whatever may make it palatable. Due to my muscular dystrophy, I can't restrain him for meds, not even sure that would be productive...
Bottom line, he has to ingest meds willingly, through trickey, flavoring, whatever.
So in two weeks, we go in for the procedure. It really won't be much scarier for him than the routine blood tests, and he will only be away from me for 45 minutes or so. I will of course be crying and hopefully not throwing up. I'm SOOOOOO mature about this stuff. My own medical issues? I'm good. The bird's issues? I'm a hysterical embarrassment to myself. Happily, Vet is a wonder, a master, an international DUDE, and has seen the Rb since '97. when we moved back up North. He genuinely loves birds, especially his special buddy, and I trust him completely. So.
So.
Having been unable to have kids, my amygdala (the main locus of maternal attachment to infantile stimuli) has definitely grabbed on to the Rb's tail and he is my neuro-child. LOL
What am I gonna do?
I'm gonna do what can be done until the treatment is more odious than the symptoms. I wanted a long life with my bird... does the phrase "be careful what you wish for" come to mind? Nawwwwwww... I'm grateful. We will work it out. Friends and family don't really get it, but... Y'ALL DO! And I'm so happy to have you here.
And that's the Rb update.

View attachment 44638

"No, is all liez, Im fine. Ridicululious! Wherez the chilleez?"​
Oh no, that doesn't sound good! I hope everything will be ok! Sending hugs and prayers.

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Well... no big change... his hematocrit continues to sneak upwards, which is bad, BUTTT... he is in excellent spirits, looks fine, sounds fine (well, you know what I mean) and we have The Plan for that procedure next Tuesday morning. He won't be away from me long, We should be home that afternoon.
AND I WILL TELL YOU SOMETHING --- I feel alright. I promise. No fibbing. You have really helped me settle and find peace with my journey.

Onwards, to a good POTM entry this month!

Most Reactions

Latest posts