Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Its interesting how when budgies have serious squabbles they attack each others feet. It must be painful but seems to heal well. There are a lot of budgies out there missing toenails (or entire toes!) from having the nerve to walk on top of another budgie's cage and tease them (like "Ha Ha I'm out here and you're not")! I guess their feet are their most vulnerable part since they're featherless and are targeted for aggression. I've also noticed that I can tell that a budgie means business and isn't just playing when he squawks and raises one leg and puts his foot on the other bird's breast or back. Maybe an act of dominance? Has anyone else ever noticed this behavior?
I see Grim doing that sometimes, especially to the more submissive birds.
Tom my conure does it too but he just likes touching things with his feet.

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Next is Billy! Heā€™s such a sweet guy, and is very much a flirt to everyone! Even and especially Tom! He just get dazzled by the colors! Lol.
40B90F89-5E81-40E3-AFA0-3975246438D5.jpeg
F70AB845-7187-47AE-BFED-41850FE2A047.jpeg

Important birb cult meeting!
6232637B-92D2-456B-A9AE-828A80FAB3CB.jpeg

Little baby Billy!!!
C8CA9207-FE00-4BF0-98C6-3D3B597CB7F5.jpeg
0151DCAF-17FB-40CD-88CE-06DA3F683467.jpeg

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Are all your budgies equally finger tame and "shoulder sitters"?
The tamest of the budgies are Billy and Striga, while all four will step up, none of them really like sitting on my shoulder.
Hedwig is pretty skittish most days, her mood fluctuates every few weeks, sometimes sheā€™s scared of me and other she has no fear.
Striga was tame from day one, hopper right onto my hand.
Billy was tame within 1-2 weeks.
Grim took several months of millet!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
The only way to get Rocky to stop landing my head and trying to climb down my face, poking me in the eyes with those sharp little talons is to wear a baseball cap. It is kinda cute to look up to see her cute little face looking down at my not nearly so cute big face when she's sitting of the bill of the cap, but it's not at all cute when she starts to climb down my face! I don't know if its possible to train a fearless little spitfire of a budgie not to do that. Any ideas?

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
The only way to get Rocky to stop landing my head and trying to climb down my face, poking me in the eyes with those sharp little talons is to wear a baseball cap. It is kinda cute to look up to see her cute little face looking down at my not nearly so cute big face when she's sitting of the bill of the cap, but it's not at all cute when she starts to climb down my face! I don't know if its possible to train a fearless little spitfire of a budgie not to do that. Any ideas?
Hmm thatā€™s tough, I remember when I first got my conure he was over curious about my eyes and would try to climb on my face! Doesnā€™t feel good.
I guess just setting him down enough times made him stop? And distracting him with something more interesting once I set him down.

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
This is Ryuk! My first bird ever! He started this madness, lol.
He was pretty tame at first but then he met his girlfriend šŸ™„
He screams for milletz, starting at 6:00 pm sharp every day!!!
F4FAED08-62F0-48B1-AF73-51A89EC41AEC.jpeg

He says ā€˜Sheer Kahnz look at me!ā€™
E2CC38C6-5C3F-4087-93B2-10ACFFB5FBBD.jpeg
8B408AAE-8FC7-426F-A3BC-CD47BE716EC9.jpeg
2F79D5F6-5672-49D1-A29E-24859BB1DF07.jpeg
23817B15-6359-43EE-8CB9-EC9B186F338D.jpeg

Waiting on those flights to grow in! And heā€™s a wet birb.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
This is Ryuk! My first bird ever! He started this madness, lol.
He was pretty tame at first but then he met his girlfriend šŸ™„
He screams for milletz, starting at 6:00 pm sharp every day!!!
View attachment 47894
He says ā€˜Sheer Kahnz look at me!ā€™
View attachment 47895View attachment 47896View attachment 47897View attachment 47898
Waiting on those flights to grow in! And heā€™s a wet birb.
Ryuk is a handsome fellow too, I'd be surprised if the ladies didn't fall for him! My Fang had a MASSIVE crush on a hen called Twinkle quite a few years ago. She was an "older woman" and I had to keep a close eye on them cos Fang loved her just a little too much. Hopefully your Ryuk is more gentlemanly!

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Ryuk is a handsome fellow too, I'd be surprised if the ladies didn't fall for him! My Fang had a MASSIVE crush on a hen called Twinkle quite a few years ago. She was an "older woman" and I had to keep a close eye on them cos Fang loved her just a little too much. Hopefully your Ryuk is more gentlemanly!
How cute!
Heā€™s pretty polite, but sometimes he likes to do a scream song and he stands as close as he can which is right in her face as sheā€™s kinda a pushover šŸ˜…

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hmm thatā€™s tough, I remember when I first got my conure he was over curious about my eyes and would try to climb on my face! Doesnā€™t feel good.
I guess just setting him down enough times made him stop? And distracting him with something more interesting once I set him down.
More interesting than my face? Just kidding! I have lots of more interesting things around the house and I'll try anything. Also, in the meantime, although she weaned easily at six weeks after handfeeding from hatching, I'm beginning to wonder if she has an "eating disorder". She watches me in the kitchen (part of the main room of our house where we hang out) as I prepare human food and she insists on eating whatever I prepare off my plate, even when I make her own dish. I don't let her eat anything she shouldn't. I wonder if since she was a very enthusiastic hand feeder as a baby and she watched excitedly as I prepared her formula, maybe she associates me and the kitchen with food FOR HER. I have never had a budgie with such bizarre eating habits. She also eats her tiny Harrison's pellets a little bit of seed and fresh greens. Should I be concerned about her eating obsession? Any way I can stop it short of banning her from the dinner table?
What could be more interesting than my face? Just kidding! She is easily distracted short-term but keeps coming back for more within minutes. I just wish she would chill out and relax. It seems to be an over excitement problem and I hope as she matures (she's less than four months old) she will calm down.
More troubling is Rocky's obsession with food- specifically what I'm eating on my plate. If what I'm eating is healthy for birds, I prepare her a small dish in hopes she will be satisfied with that but she insists on eating out of my plate. Since I hand fed Rocky from hatching (I had to) and starting at less than three weeks old, she eagerly watched me prepare her baby formula every time I fed her, several times a day, even though she weaned easily at six weeks old when she rejected hand feedings. II wonder if watching me prepare meals for myself and my husband puts her back into her babyhood hand fed mindset even though she eats on her own. I haven't hand fed her for two months so I would think she has long forgotten about it, but I have never had a budgie or heard of a budgie that was as obsessed with eating my food as she is. Big parrots, perhaps, but a budgie? It seems very odd. Maybe its because not many budgies are hand fed from day one, without nestmates or at least one bird parent for at least the first few weeks. All I know is that Rocky is more like a spoiled puppy than a parrot, much less a budgie, and more difficult to discipline. Will she ever stop her obsession with eating my food or will I have to put her in her cage and cover it at dinnertime? I want her to be happy healthy member of my family and continue to eat a wide variety of healthy foods and not turn into a "millet head" like many budgies, with all the health issues that causes. Please advise me on whether I should be concerned and what to do. Thanks.

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
More interesting than my face? Just kidding! I have lots of more interesting things around the house and I'll try anything. Also, in the meantime, although she weaned easily at six weeks after handfeeding from hatching, I'm beginning to wonder if she has an "eating disorder". She watches me in the kitchen (part of the main room of our house where we hang out) as I prepare human food and she insists on eating whatever I prepare off my plate, even when I make her own dish. I don't let her eat anything she shouldn't. I wonder if since she was a very enthusiastic hand feeder as a baby and she watched excitedly as I prepared her formula, maybe she associates me and the kitchen with food FOR HER. I have never had a budgie with such bizarre eating habits. She also eats her tiny Harrison's pellets a little bit of seed and fresh greens. Should I be concerned about her eating obsession? Any way I can stop it short of banning her from the dinner table?

What could be more interesting than my face? Just kidding! She is easily distracted short-term but keeps coming back for more within minutes. I just wish she would chill out and relax. It seems to be an over excitement problem and I hope as she matures (she's less than four months old) she will calm down.
More troubling is Rocky's obsession with food- specifically what I'm eating on my plate. If what I'm eating is healthy for birds, I prepare her a small dish in hopes she will be satisfied with that but she insists on eating out of my plate. Since I hand fed Rocky from hatching (I had to) and starting at less than three weeks old, she eagerly watched me prepare her baby formula every time I fed her, several times a day, even though she weaned easily at six weeks old when she rejected hand feedings. II wonder if watching me prepare meals for myself and my husband puts her back into her babyhood hand fed mindset even though she eats on her own. I haven't hand fed her for two months so I would think she has long forgotten about it, but I have never had a budgie or heard of a budgie that was as obsessed with eating my food as she is. Big parrots, perhaps, but a budgie? It seems very odd. Maybe its because not many budgies are hand fed from day one, without nestmates or at least one bird parent for at least the first few weeks. All I know is that Rocky is more like a spoiled puppy than a parrot, much less a budgie, and more difficult to discipline. Will she ever stop her obsession with eating my food or will I have to put her in her cage and cover it at dinnertime? I want her to be happy healthy member of my family and continue to eat a wide variety of healthy foods and not turn into a "millet head" like many budgies, with all the health issues that causes. Please advise me on whether I should be concerned and what to do. Thanks.
I guess if you canā€™t stop her from trying to eat your food while youā€™re trying to eat the best thing you could do is probably put her in her cage while you eat.
She may chirp and scream the first few times but sheā€™ll get used to it.
You could try training her to station, only give her treats when sheā€™s perched or flies to places you trust her to be.

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Miss Sheer Khan is next! Sheā€™s been Ryuks mate for a few years now. She came from a port situation, her previous owner tried to tame her by restraining her with gardening gloves, tell you how poor the rest of the care was šŸ˜¬
Sheā€™s a happy girl now, I donā€™t think sheā€™ll ever step up, but sheā€™ll eat millet from my hand at least!
2A1CF2C2-844C-4AD0-97BE-6F06500852E3.jpeg
4DE0E1E8-4812-48B2-8777-0E5E07E0154A.jpeg

Taking a bath šŸ˜
2C5B8495-CEAB-4CD2-85CC-3FA834F6E857.jpeg

25037BF3-FB5D-43B7-9DA5-0A0E6A3A750E.jpeg

She is speed!
6B2AE8E3-EDB1-487F-93C4-31EDA4A3CD4C.jpeg

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I just love that so many of your flock members were rescued to get such a better life! I'm very passionate about rescue animals and think that's just awesome! Sheer Khan is very pretty.

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Her coloring is so pretty!
Thanks! šŸ˜
I just love that so many of your flock members were rescued to get such a better life! I'm very passionate about rescue animals and think that's just awesome! Sheer Khan is very pretty.
Rescuing is so rewarding, especially when success is tremendous.
And thanks! šŸ˜

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Me too. I've rescued 5 budgies from our local parrot rescue aka the homeless shelter for birdies and its always my first source when I need a budgie when one dies (all but Rocky have cagemates) but there isn't always one available. Its so much better than relying on pet stores.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Miss Sheer Khan is next! Sheā€™s been Ryuks mate for a few years now. She came from a port situation, her previous owner tried to tame her by restraining her with gardening gloves, tell you how poor the rest of the care was šŸ˜¬
Sheā€™s a happy girl now, I donā€™t think sheā€™ll ever step up, but sheā€™ll eat millet from my hand at least!
View attachment 47922View attachment 47923
Taking a bath šŸ˜
View attachment 47924
View attachment 47925
She is speed!
View attachment 47926
Don't ever give up hope on Miss Khan stepping up. One of my previous 'tiels, the very beautiful Twinkle, was an escapee from somewhere else when I picked her up off the streets, oh MANY years ago now. I had hoped she was hand tame but she may have escaped from an aviary so was anything but, and it took eight years but suddenly a little switch flicked on in her head and she ended up being the snuggliest cuddliest 'tiel I ever had. I know it won't bother you if Sheer Khan ever steps up or not, you will love her just the same, but sometimes it's VERY hard loving them from a bit of a distance when all you want to do is skritch those feathers and love on 'em that much more!

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Don't ever give up hope on Miss Khan stepping up. One of my previous 'tiels, the very beautiful Twinkle, was an escapee from somewhere else when I picked her up off the streets, oh MANY years ago now. I had hoped she was hand tame but she may have escaped from an aviary so was anything but, and it took eight years but suddenly a little switch flicked on in her head and she ended up being the snuggliest cuddliest 'tiel I ever had. I know it won't bother you if Sheer Khan ever steps up or not, you will love her just the same, but sometimes it's VERY hard loving them from a bit of a distance when all you want to do is skritch those feathers and love on 'em that much more!
Wow! What a wonderful story.
Iā€™ve owned her for 2 years, sheā€™s come a long way, but I feel like I always have to do things to set her back a bit šŸ˜”

Most Reactions

Latest posts