Newbsi

Jul 18, 2015
Saratoga Springs NY
Parrots
Gollum - Senegal
Hatch Day- 5/8/15 &

Dobby- Indian Ringneck
Hatch Day- 7/16/15
I have let them soak in water for like two days in the fridge. I changed the water out yesterday. I have put this off as long as I can.
Now... how do I cook these lentils? They are Organic Green Lentils. I assume I bring them to a boil. Then do I lower the temp to simmer or continue to boil? How will I know when they are done?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
You don't need to soak for days or change out the water unless you're sprouting them (and if you're sprouting them, than you don't need to/shouldn't cook them). To prepare lentils for cooking, all you really need to do is rinse them before throwing them in the pot. The reason you rinse is to remove dirt and excess starch, and trust me, don't skip this step! Bring the water up to a boil before adding your lentils, let them boil for about a minute before bringing down to a simmer for about a half hour (a little less if you like them firmer, a little longer if you like them softer). Drain excess water, and they're good to go!

OP
Newbsi

Newbsi

Jul 18, 2015
Saratoga Springs NY
Parrots
Gollum - Senegal
Hatch Day- 5/8/15 &

Dobby- Indian Ringneck
Hatch Day- 7/16/15
Thank you!
I thought lentils were beans and they say to soak the beans... I am blonde

OP
Newbsi

Newbsi

Jul 18, 2015
Saratoga Springs NY
Parrots
Gollum - Senegal
Hatch Day- 5/8/15 &

Dobby- Indian Ringneck
Hatch Day- 7/16/15
I was being lazy and putting it off...

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
I have let them soak in water for like two days in the fridge. I changed the water out yesterday. I have put this off as long as I can.
Now... how do I cook these lentils? They are Organic Green Lentils. I assume I bring them to a boil. Then do I lower the temp to simmer or continue to boil? How will I know when they are done?

If it makes you feel any better, I thought they were beans too :p now I will know how to do it properly too.

Most Reactions