Update on Gwynn

maggenpie

Jul 25, 2012
Cornwall, UK
Parrots
Gwynn - cockatoo, Jewel - ringneck, Justine - cockatiel
I just can't resist sharing Gwynn's progress with you. :D

I know it's early days still - five weeks now since he came to live with me - but he's doing so well! It was three weeks before he dared to step up, and would only do it backwards for a while. Even when he wanted to come up, he'd ask by putting his foot out behind him which to me says that he associated stepping up with a bad experience. Now he's stepping up normally and enjoying lots of head scratches and an occasional under wing tickle. He loves being stroked under his wings but I'm being cautious about it at the moment because he got a bit hormonal. I took all the recommended actions right away and he stopped trying to nest after a couple of days.

Today he spent an hour just sitting on my knee - at his request. That was all he wanted to do, just be with me while I was typing on the computer. He serenaded me with his very quietest little singing voice. He even accepted my 'owning' the keyboard without upset. When I first got him any attempt to stop him doing anything at all would trigger an attack.

When he's not being quiet he's hurtling around the room as fast as he can fly, then prancing and displaying on the top of his cage. I'm just glad he hasn't taken to the curtain poles yet and pleased that he's exercising!

When I want him to go in I only have to ask if he wants to go home for his nut and he'll go to the cage door and wait for his piece of almond. I can't believe how good he is.

Above all I'm amazed at his gentleness. This is such a sweet bird - how did he get turned into a scary monster that no one wanted?

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Sounds like all is well ! I love the part when he sits on your knee while typing , so very cute :) Its touching that he has trusted you to be able to step up normally. But to picture him offering his foot backwards to step up is priceless , bless his soul :)

Your doing wonderfully ! Keep up the good work , your patience and reassurance will be rewarded with more touching moments with Gwynn :)
No one ever took the time or had the patience with him , and its their loss !
You have a friend for life :)

Adinafloyd

Jul 8, 2012
Slaughter, La
Parrots
Jax (CAG)
Scarlet (Ekkie)
Toot (TAG)
(YNA-Nappy, Gone but never ever far from my heart)
Sounds like one happy bird. Im so glad he is in a loving home

melissasparrots

Feb 15, 2012
Iowa
Parrots
Greater Sulfur Crest Ariel
Goffin's Cassie
Cosmo Hyacinth
Diva, Gremlin, Sprout, Ellie and Oscar Yellow Naped Amazons
Daffy, Mama and Papa Quakers
Linnie the lineolated
+5 parrotlets
I think he landed himself an exceptionally good owner in you. You have done something for that bird that a lot of people would not have been able to. I would expect that he might have the occassionally attacking meltdown periodically, but I bet the worst is over. I'm happy for both of you.
Melissa

OP
maggenpie

maggenpie

Jul 25, 2012
Cornwall, UK
Parrots
Gwynn - cockatoo, Jewel - ringneck, Justine - cockatiel
Thanks for your kind words, everyone. He does have his moments. We have a long way to go yet and a lot of bad history to heal. We can go on quietly without incident for several days, then I'll do something wrong.

Yesterday the problem was a spoon. I thought I was offering a tasty morsel of fruit puree, he thought I was poking a stick at him. Result, a flying attack. I sent him home and, bless him, he straight away pressed his wing to the bars to be stroked. His way of saying he wanted us to still be friends. That's such a step forward for him. When he reacts like that he is very anxious afterwards, expecting human retaliation.

Today the problem was a piece of stick he'd chewed. He was on top of the cage, I picked the stick up and put it on a chair where he plays, thinking he'd like to have another chew at it. Wrong thing to do. In his eyes I was handling an offensive weapon. He did a quick circle of my head - for the first time without trying to bite - and put himself back in his cage!

Then, when I let him out again later, he went up on top of his cage with his back to me and said "What ARE you doing? You NAUGHTY boy!" He said it twice to himself before coming down for titbits. Poor little chap, was he reminding himself not to do anything 'naughty'? It's so sad. His previous owners did a lot of psychological damage. I'm hearing him talk while I'm out of the room more now, and there's a lot of angry voices coming out.

He doesn't like to stay out for long, less than an hour usually. I see him getting anxious and fretful so now I ask if he wants to go home for his nut and I can just feel the wave of relief from him. He can go in any time he wants to of course, so it's something about me asking him to go in. It's not a 'I'm happy I'm getting a nut' feeling, more like 'thank goodness I can't do anything wrong now I'm going in'.

So now I know not to handle anything even remotely sticklike while he's out. I'll learn his triggers, and he'll learn that he doesn't have to expect violence. For the time being he only comes out with me, but other people can feed him titbits while he's in his cage and he's fine with that. Little by little, we'll get there.

Most Reactions