weird debacle

snooky0620

Nov 17, 2014
Hi all,

I recently acquired a Sun conure, including a nice cage from a family home. While visiting the home, it seemed nice and clean, but since bringing Hugo home, we have noticed roaches in his cage. This has never been a problem in our home, so it has to be coming from the hollow bars of his cage, as this is where the majority are seen. Is there a bird friendly way to treat his cage????

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
If you have a steam cleaner or have access to one, a really good scrubbing with one (away from your house) is a good way of ferreting them out, but you could read up on geckos and add one to your household.....but only if you haven't used any roach poison or you will kill the gecko. If you get a gecko, you'll need to keep your house at around 70 degrees F.....

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots
i got 1 green cheek cinnamon,a rose crowned,a yellow sided and a hybride from the first 2

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
yikes!!:eek:,how about trowing the cage far far away and buying a new one?can't believe this is actually possible.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Can you completely disassemble his cage and take the pieces outside and pressure wash each piece? Is it possible to get water down inside all the pieces?

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
yikes!!:eek:,how about trowing the cage far far away and buying a new one?can't believe this is actually possible.

Yes, I agree! I would also get right on top of buying some roach baits and put them in bird safe places in the area, in case some have strayed away from the cage and into your house already. Good luck with this.

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
I too would probably toss the cage if roaches are crawling out of the bars:11:

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Hello and welcome, Snooky! Poor Hugo, it makes me wonder what kind of conditions the little guy was living in. Since it's the cage itself that's apparently infested, I would be afraid any cleaning method you used to kill the roaches might not kill the eggs in the hollow bars of the cage. It would be a lot safer for Hugo to replace the cage itself, and would be cheaper in the long term than paying an exterminator and relocating Hugo during the process. Good luck. Please let us know what you decide.

OP
S

snooky0620

Nov 17, 2014
Hmmm, I really didn't want to replace the cage :( My husband suggested putting the cage out in the cold weather, but don't know how long that would take. I have had Hugo just going on 30 days, so I could put him in another room with my cockatiels.

Yes, I wonder now about Hugo's prior living condition also :(

I don't believe the cage can be broken down and I don't own a steamer.

I will think on these suggestions. Thanks guys.

drj130

Jul 25, 2014
Saint Petersburg, FL
Parrots
9 month old Green Cheek Conure
Hate to say this, but the cold won't do anything to help get rid of roaches or their eggs. If you can get the cage apart, why not take it to a do it yourself car wash. Just use the rinse and that should have enough pressure to wash them out. As everyone else has said, if you can't do that then get a new cage.
Just my two cents.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Roaches will survive a nuclear blast. Given you've had him 30 days the roaches may have found new, comfy places and have spread out in your home. Example, we visit relatives that have roaches and their kids came to stay with us. After they left, we started seeing roaches in the kitchen. I have a TV mounted in the kitchen and a satellite box under a counter for it. The roaches moved into that little box because it's warm!!! I fumigated it before I got Buddy. But we battled them. I finally told the relative she needed to get control and she started working on it. Her major issue is she's in an old house, in the country with fields all around so she battles a lot.

I hate to say this but you may need to have your home treated AND get a new cage at the same time. We use Home Defense around the foundation of our house. I haven't sprayed inside since getting Buddy. Good luck.

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
I think you are all very privileged if you don't have cockroaches. They are everywhere over here. In Sydney, they run all over the streets.... Anyway, just get nestkill baits, they kill the live ones and knock off the rest "back home".

Although you've seen them in the cage, I wouldn't assume they've come in in the cage. They usually hide, but if they've suddenly got a new yummy food source, that may be why you're seeing them. They could be from under your laundry sink, or they could have come in from outside, they easily fit under doors or through cracks where the doors close. (Do you have cockroaches over there?).

EDIT: and they aren't themselves that dirty. Leaving food about will attract them, but they themselves aren't that bad.
http://health.ninemsn.com.au/whatsg...58/are-cockroaches-as-dirty-as-we-all-believe

Last edited:

Most Reactions