What gender is my cockatiel?

kikoloki

Feb 27, 2022
Media
Germany
Parrots
3 budgies: Loki, Sora, Nova
1 cockatiel: Kiko
Hey! My cockatiel Kiko is 5 months old, we've been guessing that she's a female since she is rather quiet, but recently she's been making more noises, which I posted in my media & wanted to ask you guys, if you guys can identify her gender by the noise she's making or if its still too early to make any guesses.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Kiko.jpeg
    Kiko.jpeg
    46.4 KB · Views: 59

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Not an expert with cockatiels, but over the years, the cockatiels that I have seen that had been DNA Sexed had shown bright colored head and cheek have been males and duller colors have been Female. That all said, the vast efforts of Breeders to bring brighter colors to their flocks have brought some question to that judgement.

If you are unsure, simply have your Tiel DNA tested.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hey! My cockatiel Kiko is 5 months old, we've been guessing that she's a female since she is rather quiet, but recently she's been making more noises, which I posted in my media & wanted to ask you guys, if you guys can identify her gender by the noise she's making or if its still too early to make any guesses.

Thanks in advance!
At this age you will very likely not be able to pick the gender as your cockatiel may not yet have moulted into adult plumage. This generally happens somewhere between the ages of 6 to 12 months. Once that does happen however, you can still pick the gender by looking at the colouration on the underside of the tail feathers. Even in a lutino, you will still be able to detect a rippling/stippled colour effect in the tail of a female bird, even if it's very faint and you have to hold it up to the light to see it, as was the case with my lutino hen Twinkle many years ago. Until then though, DNA sexing is the only way to be sure.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Kiko is so cute!!

My son and his girlfriend have a cockatiel named Keiko :) so I already love your little one!

TenthDoctor34

Mar 13, 2022
New Zealand
Parrots
Dipsey and Charlie the cockatiels
hmmm if he/she is Luntino probably be hard to tell without a DNA test. I had no clue with my pied cockatiel. It was always guessing and being told different things each time. But figured was most likely male after he started getting more noisy and singing a lot. He has also never laid eggs so *shrugs* my females were generally quieter. Cute cockatiel anyway :D they are great little birds.

Most Reactions