What is Proper incubation activity???

Rennagade

Jul 28, 2011
Gympie, Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Male Alexandrine 3yrs old (Zeus) and Female Alexandrine 4 yrs old (Gretchen)
Hi All,
As you know I am very new to hens...Gretchen being my first female bird. She has laid an egg (just one!) four days ago and I am wondering what is proper incubation activity?? Even though i'm not sure the egg is fertilised (i'll check in a few more days) i've noticed that Gretchen seems to spend quite a long time OFF the egg. She gets off it in the morning and eats some breakfast and does her morning bomb (which by the way is like double the size!) then she goes back in and checks on the egg and then goes up on top of the cage and canoodles with Zeus for about 10 mins! then she goes back in the box. she comes out alot during the day (I was able to observe this over the weekend) for about 5-10 mins at a time. Is this normal?? this is her first go. Zeus is being a lovely mate, going in the box and standing at the front chatting to her. it's really adorable but he doesnt feed her. (he really has no idea about that hehehe. she tilts her head back for food and he just gives her a kiss!) She is eating HEAPS. She eats her bowl of food then tucks into Zeus's.
So after all my rambling :rolleyes: I basically want to know - what is normal behaviour for egg sitting????:D

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Never bred Alexandrines so dunno what to tell you there...sometimes it can take parents multiple tries to get it right or sometimes they wait until more eggs are laid before incubating in full process. Some birds do that so the eggs hatch relatively close to one another.

Last edited:
OP
Rennagade

Rennagade

Jul 28, 2011
Gympie, Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Male Alexandrine 3yrs old (Zeus) and Female Alexandrine 4 yrs old (Gretchen)
oh oh oh...update! Gretchen has laid another egg! She must have laid it last night or Saturday night. I think it was last night because this morning she jumped onto my hand and then leaned towards her box (which is what she does when she want me to go somewhere) so i had a look and there it was! that makes two! Shes soooooo proud of herself!

Most Reactions

Latest posts