Wide vs Tall

bkoklu001

Feb 2, 2022
Hi y'all, I'm looking to buy a cage for a new cockatiel I'm getting, and at the moment, I have two cage options. Online, it says that 24x18x24 (LxWxH) is the minimum for cockatiels, but here are the two options I have:
Option one (wider rather than tall): 30x18x18
Option two (taller rather than wide): 18x14x36

I read that wider was better than taller, but is option one too short?

Option one: Option two:
1644455261655.png
1644455302421.png

Last edited:

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
Some pictures would really aid in the decision making process and for us to help you out! I always say wider is better because birds make more use of the space when they hop from perch to perch. But at the same time we canā€™t tell just from pictures of the cages even now that I think about it because size can be distorted through a screen. Maybe go into stores nearby if you have access to them and see if they have cockatiel appropriate size cages for you to look at! That would be my best advice for now. But rule of thumb, actually two rules of thumb...

1) The bigger the cage the better (based on affordability and accessibility)
2) Wider is always better

OP
B

bkoklu001

Feb 2, 2022
Some pictures would really aid in the decision making process and for us to help you out! I always say wider is better because birds make more use of the space when they hop from perch to perch. But at the same time we canā€™t tell just from pictures of the cages even now that I think about it because size can be distorted through a screen. Maybe go into stores nearby if you have access to them and see if they have cockatiel appropriate size cages for you to look at! That would be my best advice for now. But rule of thumb, actually two rules of thumb...

1) The bigger the cage the better (based on affordability and accessibility)
2) Wider is always better
Just added some pictures

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
Just added some pictures
I think option 1 since birds donā€™t use a lot of the vertical space that a tall cage offers. But it would be great if you could get option 1 in a slightly taller size for the purpose of fitting in ladders or more variety of toys. If you so wish. But yes, wider cages are more efficient for the bird. Keep looking for good offers if any available and sometimes Craigslist has people that are selling even bigger cages or flight cages that are much cheaper than marketed retail prices on websites or stores. So look into that too if you wish! Would love to see what other members have to say about the matter. Good to get a second opinion.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Bigger than both options would be better. Its an investment but you will have years.
I definitely scope out Craigslist and light used that some pet store sell. I've gotten 2 thst way. I cleaned with dilute bleach, outside not around my birds. And took the time to clean every single bar both from outside and inside. Then I wipe dry and repeated the next day to be really sure.

My cages are like this , different brand tho and in white and slightly larger. But this type with height if floor and square shape is my favorite. Over the years I've many different kinds. This is my favorite type so I switched all of mine to like this
Yaheetech Wrought Iron Standing Large Parrot Parakeet Flight Bird Cage for Small Parrot Cockatiel Sun Parakeet Green Cheek Conure Lovebird Budgie Finch Canary Bird Cage with Stand https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P94NY95/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glc_i_YMAA65MDSQ507ZGCHJNE?psc=1

Last edited:

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Bigger than both options would be better. Its an investment but you will have years.
I definitely scope out Craigslist and light used that some pet store sell. I've gotten 2 thst way. I cleaned with dilute bleach, outside not around my birds. And took the time to clean every single bar both from outside and inside. Then I wipe dry and repeated the next day to be really sure.

My cages are like this , different brand tho and in white and slightly larger. But this type with height if floor and square shape is my favorite. Over the years I've many different kinds. This is my favorite type so I switched all of mine to like this
Yaheetech Wrought Iron Standing Large Parrot Parakeet Flight Bird Cage for Small Parrot Cockatiel Sun Parakeet Green Cheek Conure Lovebird Budgie Finch Canary Bird Cage with Stand https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P94NY95/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glc_i_YMAA65MDSQ507ZGCHJNE?psc=1
I've seem some reviews on this cage that claim it killed their birds from metal poisoningšŸ˜³

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I've seem some reviews on this cage that claim it killed their birds from metal poisoningšŸ˜³
I like this style of cage. But I don't have this brand . So I couldn't say.
But often people have sudden death in parrots ( we know how they hide being sick) and want to blame it on something.

Op already picked up a cage

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I like this style of cage. But I don't have this brand . So I couldn't say.
But often people have sudden death in parrots ( we know how they hide being sick) and want to blame it on something.

Op already picked up a cage
That's fine, I just thought I'd give a warning!:)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
really the only one that sounds plausible is the quaker. Zinc toxicity takes a little longer than that, lead can very more acute. But tgey aren't mentioning classic metal poisoning.

But maybe it's the finish or paint. How many positive review did it have?

OP
B

bkoklu001

Feb 2, 2022
Uh oh. That isnā€™t good. The general reviews are good tho, and none of those reviews say that the bird has been checked out by a vet that diagnosed it with some kind of poisoning. Anyways, I decided to return the cage because I found a really good cage on OfferUp (highly recommend it) for $20. Itā€™s 31x18x69 which is way better than the one I bought online.

Most Reactions

Latest posts