Willow’s thread

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
I've mentioned before that most of the things Ralph says are barely above a whisper. He and Willow are out to destroy the Quakers' reputation for being loud.

When I first got Ralph he would scrape the bridge of my nose with his beak, so Willow's nose licking is at least gentler. After Ralph finished "grooming" my nose I could have played Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer in the Christmas pageant. .🙃

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Ralph thinks you have a beak, too.
Both birds were very pleasant today (Saturday). No bites and tons of love. Maybe they’re planning something.
————-
Willow was very cuddly today (Sunday) as well, and finally looking very sleek with his new feather suit. He wanted to be petted for a long time and then he got antsy. Started flipping his wings and giving a light nip. I tried to back off and that wasn’t ok either. He kept grabbing my finger with his beak, or beaking my finger, when I moved away. Finally I figured out he just wanted to cuddle with my hand. He was done with scritches and just wanted to snuggle.

I asked Wilow “Polly want a cracker?” and he enjoyed a few little pieces of cracker. But that was probably because I offered cracker before avicake. I’m trying to persuade willow that my shoulder will also allow snuggling without occupying my hand, but I think he likes to gaze at me. It’s nice to be loved.

Last edited:
OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Darn fall sinusitis! I got a virus a few weeks ago and my head is all stuffed up still. My ear is very painful and my dr suggested I take otc meds to dry up the fluid in sinuses and ears, and to ‘pop’ my ears. Anyhow I crashed early yesterday and today (much better today after taking that medication diligently) and when I put birds to bed, Willow hung mournfully on the front of his cage. Jasper hangs upside down and flails with one leg when he wants to come out.

I felt so guilty because they wanted me to take them out but I was groggy from cold medicine and needed to sleep. Now it’s early morning (12:30 am) and of course I am awake. The next dose of antihistamine should help. My ear is SO much better.

Lucy used to yell “Out! Out right now!” which was very effective in getting her lazy mommy (me) to come running. My dr implied that she did not know what she was saying but knew that got me to give her what she wanted. I argue, isn’t that the point of communication?

I don’t know if Willow will ever get to be bossy but he did tell me “pretty bird” this weekend which I will take as positive. “Good bird” is also good. “Bad bird” or “oh shit!” or “dammit” is not so good.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think Willow was saying “Quaker” yesterday.

Today he’s grumpy as the construction men are working on brickwork above my apartment. He wants attention but he’s upset by the funny grinding noises. So I’m rubbing his head but I get pinched occasionally. Jasper seems to be communicating with the grinder; making weird robot noises at it.

Willow mostly wants to lean against my cheek while I rub his crown and jaw.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
It was warm and sunny on Saturday, 60f, so Willow and I went for a walk on the pedestrian mall. We dropped books off at the library and then did some window shopping. There were lots of people out, lots of students. It was a bit too busy for Willow, I think; he startled a lot. But he blew loud kisses to the last group of people we met who all said “goodbye, Willow.” to him.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Willow interacted during a morning zoom meeting, mostly by licking my nose but occasionally biting me when I didn’t pay him enough attention. Ouch!

This evening Willow was also bitey. I couldn’t seem to please him until I cuddled him with both hands and then rubbed his beak with my right hand. Then he was happy and closed his eyes and purred. My goodness! Some birds are very demanding! I guess the left hand isn’t dexterous enough, or something, to rub his beak and head right. So I got pinched many times until I used the CORRECT hand to pet Willow.

Jasper enjoyed his our time until I received a package in a paper bag. The paper lunch bag made a scary crackle, I guess, and Jasper gave me a good bite on the thumb. So I let him attack the lunch bag until he was maneuvered back into his cage.

Both birds had half of a small sweet pepper. Unfortunately it only had a few seeds. But they ate big chunks of the pepper.

Last edited:
OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I shared out sweet pepper and tomato from my provolone cheese wrap this evening. Both birds were happy to have pepper and pepper seeds. I kept the cap of the pepper and pith with seeds for the boys.

Willow was grumpy when he first came out. I think I have figured out the secret: he is pinchy if I have the treat bag visible because he’s waiting for another treat. If I put the treat bag away, then he can settle down for head scritches and beak rubs.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Today it’s dark and rainy. The birds have been so quiet all day— were it not RAINING I’d say winter is upon us. I was outside in short sleeves yesterday and had hoped Willow might venture out with me today. No, no, no.

Right now Willow is on his basket on my lap. He’s eating an orchard nutriberry. I don’t like these much as they smell strongly of peanut butter but have big chunks of feed corn which Willow discards. Jasper might be big enough to tackle these but not Willow. And for what purpose? Feed corn is trash.

I have noticed that Willow doesn’t want cuddles if he sees the Avicake packaging. It kind of hurts my feelings. But I’m guessing he’s hungry for seeds as his normal diet is Harrison’s high potency pellets plus veggies or fruit.

Now Master Willow has finished his nutriberry, tail wagged, and is crunching his beak while perched on his basket handle. He’s all fluffed up. I found a LONG YouTube video of Quaker parakeet sounds and think I will play it for him. Otherwise we have been watching Beavis and Butthead for nostalgic yucks. I think it would be really funny to have a Beavis laugh coming from the birdcage.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Well, well…I think Willow is trying to talk. How exciting!! I think watching Quaker Parakeet YouTube has helped. He was almost SILENT when he first came to me so I am happy to hear him grouching in his cage because he must feel safe enough to do so.

A food and toys order was just delivered to our mailroom and I need to go pick it up. I am excited to receive the Jolly Ball and hope it’s something Willow enjoys. I think I will set it near Willows cage for a while before moving it on or into the cage.
When I move it “in” I will load it up with treats.

Photos to come!

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I am getting over a bad flu, I believe, and am hearing strange morphed bird versions of sneezes and ringing coughs coming from the living room. Birds will have to be patient for a couple more days. They have their immediate needs met, but everyone can use more scritches and pets.

I will unpack Willow’s Jolly Ball and place it near his cage so he can get used to it. So exciting! Some bird toys just LOOK like they would be fun.

I’m going to have some Willow holiday cards printed up.
8E75ACF1-C0C0-438C-997F-AB605C79876B.jpeg

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
We received the Jolly Ball last weekend and I just unwrapped it tonight. It’s really big and solid, and wasn’t difficult to collapse and fold the inner ball and pull it out. But the Jolly Ball is bigger than Willow’s perching basket and he seems a bit scared of it. When I pulled out the inner ball, Willow actually flew out of the room!

So right now we are having evening Bird Time while the jolly Ball sits nearby. I think I’ll put it within his sight for some days before I move it to the cage top.

It’s now clear that I don’t have the flu but rather COVID. I cut up some cheddar cheese and an apple yesterday and they had almost no taste. And no smell. I am still very tired but I am breathing much easier today.

Last edited:

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Oh shoot, that's not fun :(

That ball sounds amazing, I bet Willow will enjoy it a lot once it's not new and scary!

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Letting Willow just look at the Jolly Ball for a while should help him get used to having it around and eventually he could be ready to claim it as his own.

Hope you're feeling better. Loss of taste and smell does go with COVID. But for me, it also goes with a cold or the flu. Typically, two or three days into either a cold or flu, I can't smell or taste anything, and it lasts several days. I guess a COVID test would be the only way to know for sure.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I am out of rapid antibody tests and would have to cab to get a swab test. Figure I wouldn’t want me in a cab so I am staying home. Life is tricky with no car sometimes.

So weird to eat and have no taste!

Poor birds got no attention yesterday. Today they definitely will be out for cuddles.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Woke up at 5 am and the birds were awake. Willow wanted to come out and got lots of pets and kisses. Then Jasper got lots of pets and kisses while trying to feed me a morning pellet. Yum yum!

I thought I saw snow last night. It’s definitely here today!

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
If you still can't taste anything maybe eating the pellet that Jasper offered you wouldn't have been so bad. ;) Then again...

Getting along without a car isn't easy. I guess for now the best thing to do is stay home until you feel completely better. Willow and Jasper will be good company while you recover. :)

The last time I had a cold, I made myself a bowl of chicken noodle soup and a cup of tea for lunch, and I couldn't tell them apart. Later I gargled with warm salt water and that tasted exactly like the tea and the soup. It's hard to be enthusiastic about eating when you can't taste what you're eating.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
No, I don’t want to eat any soggy pellets!
I am much much better than a week ago. (That was scary.) This is more than a cold; it is in my lungs, but the cough seems to be resolving and is less sticky.

Willow and jasper both made sweet kissing noises at me this evening, from their cages. They are going to sleep early with the winter darkness. Willow is still getting used to the Jolly Ball.

Both birds need cages cleaned and showers/baths, along with some “out” time. I will tackle some of that tomorrow.

I know how to take care of myself and I will continue to do that. No worries!

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Willow is enjoying afternoon “out” time while perched on his basket (on my lap). The Jolly Ball is two feet away and he’s not happy about it. I moved it from four feet away and he yelled and flapped and dropped his treat.

Well anyhow Willow has refocused on avicake and occasional kisses on his puffy grey cheeks. He is such a nice bird. I’m trying to clear my apartment of two weeks worth of tissues but I am still breathless. Am guessing I’m not sick enough for a steroid so I’m hunkering down at home.

Willow likes to pick the SEED ONLY out of the avicake and then drop everything else. Once he’s done he will then go into his basket and forage among the crumbs. Lately he’s been less compulsive about picking up his POOPS. But i wonder if he were on his basket for a few hours he would start ‘cleaning’ again.

Jasper is whining because I have Willow out so I will change birds in a bit. Jasper has almost destroyed his/her big grapevine wreath. It’s a really good and cheap parrot toy.
……………..
I was teasing Willow by touching his tail when he ignored me. Well he didn’t like that! Then I left him to do his own thing and he had to reach waaay out with his neck and beak me because I wasn’t petting him. He tries to look so FEROCIOUS but he is really just cute.

Last edited:
OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Proving that even the nicest bird can bite…
Willow noticed that there was a construction scaffold outside my window today. I gave him a kiss and he bit me on the nose, rather hurting my feelings (and nose!). I asked him what was the matter with him, and then saw he was looking out the window, at the scaffolding and ropes.

I hope they finish this work soon because I’m tired of the noise and disruption.

Last edited:

Most Reactions