Willow’s thread

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Ona likes to lick my nose sometimes too. She once licked the inside of my husband’s nostril 😂 With me she’s more interested in sticking her beak in my ear, oof.
Mmm. Earwax.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
We are starting the day right with bird time at 8:45 am. Willow is enjoying an avicake and some kisses. He is warm and fuzzy. Just finished his treat and got a smooch and is wagging his tail.

We got a shipment from nuts.com last night and the birds will get some nut today. I would like Willow to have a shower and Jasper to have a bath, but it’s awfully cold in parts of the apartment. Maybe I could towel Willow off afterwards and he would dry faster? He doesn’t mind being squeezed and cuddled in a hand towel. I don’t know if Jasper would permit that.

Willow has been licking the top of my nose a lot. I have been praising him for touching new objects as I would like him to be ok playing with toys. He’s very shy about anything new.
——————-
We are now having a late brunch of fried plantains and egg. Birds haven’t had plantain for a long time; this is ripe and banana-y! Jasper is enjoying his plantain with many chortles and Willow had only a few chomps and dropped his on some poop. Well, that’s the end of the plantains for today.

Last edited:

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Ralph doesn't mind the snow as long as he can see over the top of the balcony railing. When the snow piles up too high I have to go out and sweep off the railing so he can keep watch on the wild birds and our neighbors walking their dogs.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
We only had short bird cuddles on Wednesday. My feet and ankles were so painful from this covid related arthritis that I felt sick and did not do much. I DID find a good deal on a pet waterer in the popular “swan” style; which Santa bird may end up bringing to Jasper and Willow this Christmas.

Both birds got cuddles and pets for a while in the morning and in the late afternoon, jasper would step up for pets for some time near his cage. Didn’t really want to go back but I outsmarted him and then turned it into a fun ride. Willow would Not step up in the afternoon; it’s been getting dark very early and I’m sure he feels that. I didn’t want to be pushy so I left him in his cage and told him he was a poop.

I used to take Lucy Quaker out for walks in my scarf. She rode in it like a hammock. But even if Willow would do that, I think December is past the time to take birds out. I don’t think I took Lucy out this late in the year, but only into November. Hmm.

Last edited:
OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Santa Bird WILL be bringing “the Swan” pet waterer for Willow’s and Jasper’s BeakMas present.

Unfortunately the photo format doesn’t work with this site but you can look it up.
Maybe I will fill it with seeds so Willow will get over being scared of it.

I hung Rainbow Links all over Willow’s cage today, too, and it looks like a lot of fun. He tries to weave his toys and these links should weave better. I’m trying to convince him that coffee stirrers are cool, but he’s not having any of it.

Jasper got a toy that’s twice as big as he is and is merrily devouring it. I rehabbed his old chew toy with coconut discs and they’re not breakable enough so he doesn’t like them. I need to buy pine, I think, to fix up Jasper’s toys.

Last edited:

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Santa Bird WILL be bringing “the Swan” pet waterer for Willow’s and Jasper’s BeakMas present.

Unfortunately the photo format doesn’t work with this site but you can look it up.
Maybe I will fill it with seeds so Willow will get over being scared of it.
Ooh that waterer looks great! Santa Bird might just have to bring Ona one too…..

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Friday was a weird day as I didn’t sleep much at night. Had a virtual meeting at 9:15 a.m. that I didn’t want to miss and when the clock showed 5 am I gave up on sleeping.

I had a long visit with Willow in the morning; he was choosing to climb up on my shoulder after riding around on my shoulder that morning. Good. I can’t always carry a basket. We worked on “good boy” which seems to be one of his Happy Phrases. Willow mouths it along with or in response to me.

Willow picks at a small zit on my cheek today. He’s obsessEd with removing the imperfection which ISNT helping it go away. He is SO licky that I end up taking him OFF my shoulder and giving him an avicake to distract him. We walked down to the lobby searching for Friday doughnuts and there were NO DOUGHNUTS. Oh tragedy (like I need a doughnut.)

I just read a fun phrase called “to stickybeak” which I guess means to be nosy or inquisitive or to pry. As in, “I hate to stickybeak, but I heard you ….”. This is the perfect word for today, for Willows excess interest in my single skin flaw. To STICKYBEAK.

Willow likes to stickybeak my face. Jasper stickybeaked my nose this afternoon. Jasper had a longer visit than usual as he didn’t get bitey for a long time. Usually he only manages 15 minutes before he’s pinchy and wants to go home, yet yells and complains if Willow is out. In fact I had to close my bedroom door during my morning consultation to calm Jaspers screeches demanding attention at 9:15. Since when am I alert at 9:15? He’s seizing the day, I suppose.

Stickybeak. I like this new word. It is certainly appropriate to MY BIRDS. They have their beaks into EVERYTHING POSSIBLE.

Last edited:
OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I’m excited! Willow is finally being LOUD and DEMANDING which is right and appropriate for a Quaker Parakeet. As I cracked some pecans, he stood on top of his cage or at the end of his branch and YELLED until I gave him a bit of pecan and apple.

I bought nuts for BeaksMass but Willow doesn’t quite understand them, even when I ate a bit of the nut right in front of him. I think he wants me to chew it up for him, which I’m not going to do. He was begging for some nut out of my mouth. Jasper understands how to eat nuts but maybe Willow expects they should be soft? He’s really not a chewy bird. He didn’t dig the leftover pecan out of the cup of the shell. ☹️🙁

Willow still has not explored his Jolly Ball (on top of his cage). Part of the problem is that I don’t often allow him to climb around on the outside of his cage. But I guess I will load the jolly ball up with treats and see if that helps, or hold it on my lap while I’m holding Willow.

Neither bird has a BeaksMass stocking. We don’t have a tree either. BeaksMass kind of snuck up on us this year. I’m not even sure what we may have for Xmas dinner. Tamale pie? Mmm.

Last edited:
OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
We got the Swan Pet Waterer in the mail today!

Willow is usually scared of new things so it will have to be introduced slowly. I wonder about putting seeds in it and making it be a seed fountain for a week or so?

I also received an older “tree of life” appliqué quilt kit and discovered that while the design is beautiful, some of the fabric is 70s-colors of rancid mustard and hideous avocado. So I will be replacing those colors with ones I like better. AND I am going to add at least one blue and one green Quaker Parakeet sitting in the tree to make the design my own! I will draw it out first.

Willow is getting used to climbing over the outside and inside of his cage and doing a good job at staying put on the cage and dresser. I need to drill three holes in his Jolly Ball to hang it from the big branch off the side of his cage. I will load that up with treats, too.

His cage is quite heavy so I don’t think the Jolly Ball will be any problem. I could also rest it on its bottom (without hanging it) but it would be more nest-like if hung.

I am keeping the ball that goes in the middle of the JB in case he never likes it; then I can give it to a friend who has a big dog or horses. It should still work as a rolling Jolly Ball if Willow cannot be convinced to use it.

Last edited:
OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Willow had a nice time out today but it’s early and VERY DARK and he’s grumpy. Maybe he wants to go to sleep early? Anyhow after a bite to my nose I asked him if he wanted to go night night and then returned him to his cage.

I was sucking on a candy cane (to soothe my throat) and W had a taste and now wants MORE. He let out an alarm screech at the sight of the new Swan Bird bath. I sure hope he gets over that. Funny how we buy birds toys because we think they would be fun…

We expect a snowstorm tonight or tomorrow and possibly even a power outage. I hope not. I think my big apartment building will hold a lot of heat but I’m on a corner and that will cool down faster.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Had a huge snowstorm last night and today and both birds were a bit testy. Both birds spooked and flew, which is very strange for Willow. But all in all both got nice long visits and a treat.

I need to find my boots so haven’t been out for any last minute shopping. Am wishing that I had a sled and a sledding hill after seeing the amazing amounts of snow that have fallen.

Last edited:
OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
We just heard a budgie singing “Felix Navidad” on Reddit parrots board and I’ve been singing the chorus to Willow. He likes it and is moving his beak. Jasper has already had a long visit until he got pinchy.

Willow is not over the basket cleaning. The old poops were at just the right stage of crunchety, I guess. I removed the whole newspaper layer and blew his little mind…

Both birds just finished their long “morning” out time. Willow kept running over to tap me with his beak when I moved my hand away from cuddling him. Both my birds are very snuggly birds.

Willow likes “Feliz Navidad” much better than “jingle bells” as a holiday song. We found a reddit post with a budgie singing that song and I’ve been singing it to him. He moves his beak along with my singing (which he does with his favorite phrase, “good boy!”) so I think he likes it. But the whole chorus is kind of long for him to learn, since he only talks a little bit in his cage. it’s much longer than “the Quaker Song” and doesn’t have words that he likely recognizes.

I think I will put the Swan Pet Waterer out for the birds to look at, but it is a very cold day and I think maybe they won’t be taking a bath. It is 70f in my apartment but we’re up in the air and wind chills to maybe 40 below F. (I am relieved that I am only washing my hair once or twice a week as it’s very long and I get so COLD in the winter. Also the birds hate hate hate towels and so hair washing upsets them.)

We are going to crack some nuts and maybe cut out some snowflakes. I’m well an adult but I’ve never gotten over liking to make snowflakes.
————-
Willow and I just returned from a holiday dinner. Willow had a bit of turkey, green bean, and cranberry, but didn’t know how to eat a pecan. Silly bird! Unfortunately, Jasper would not handle all the people well and would likely panic fly or bite🙁

Willow enjoyed sitting with my neighbor and called to her when she got off the elevator. He was very relaxed for the most part. But now I’m getting intensely licked and groomed! Now (6:30) we are in for the evening and waiting for Santa Bird.

Last edited:
OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Willow is inside his basket, on my lap, eating leftover avicake. I added some toys to the basket since he’s been climbing down into it.
0AFB576E-34CC-40E0-A6DB-FBA894EB90C9.jpeg

It’s warmer today and I think I could actually take him on a quick errand to the library. I think it’s above 50 F; quite warm for this time of year. It’s definitely warm enough to try the new bird bath fountain.

Oops! No, it’s 33f not 50 so definitely too cold to go for any walks with Willow BUT it’s feeling so much warmer inside that I think we will try the swan pet waterer/ bird bath.

Last edited:
OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Jasper had a long long visit this morning just like Willow did yesterday. Now Willow is out for a treat and some pets. He is making sure I pet him adequately with headbutts and beaking my finger if I am not constant.

Willow likes to cuddle into my cheek right under my eye. He has his floral herbal perfume going on right now which is very nice.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have spent the afternoon swapping birds. Was holding Willow and Jasper began to wail. Returned Willow, stepped up jasper, and spent some time keeping Jasper’s beak out of my nose. And, of course, rubbing his head.

Now Willow is on his basket, on my lap. Jasper is going through his noises routine to ensure that I don’t forget him while we’re apart. Willow is just crunching his beak. It’s beginning to make me very sleepy.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Willow and I are hanging out in the bathroom, watching the fun Swan Pet Waterer. But Willow is not up for using the pet waterer/ birdbath yet.

At least he’s not acting like it’s going to consume him! He just is not ready to hop in. I might hook a perch to the side of the bowl so he can stand and hang out on the rim for a while without hopping in. Maybe I will make if shallower using glass pebbles or regular rocks.
5428FB9D-6F53-4893-99F6-53C6D6D7B3E0.jpeg

Willow rode inside my scarf, on my shoulder, to the library to pick up some books. The only worry I had was that he might be too hot. I used to carry Lucy in my scarf all the time and would love to be able to carry Willow like that when the weather is a bit colder.

Jasper was ok with drinking water from the “faucet” of the waterer, but didn’t like me splashing my hand in the water . I thought I would try setting him into the basin and he started to bite me. Hmm.

I think the waterer needs a better perch so the bird can sit and get relaxed first.
I have an old shower perch (they’re making them better now) and perhaps I’ll repurpose part of it for that or another use.

Last edited:
OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Somehow I was awake at 8 a.m. and got Friday donut and coffee. Willow did have a tiny piece of cake from the inside of the donut and also got a raspberry from a neighbor. He didn’t quite understand how to eat the raspberry but when got back to my apartment I split it between Willow and Jasper.

Both birds have been stepping up nicely today and Willow allowed the donor of the raspberry to give him scritches on mid neck. I showed her “just like a cat, he likes his neck and head to be scratched. He can’t reach it himself and needs help.”

Willow is on his basket on my lap right now crunching his beak loudly. Jasper is complaining because willow is out and he is not. But Jasper has been out a while already.

Willow is such a warm and snuggly little guy. His January photo (of the month entry) captures his love of being petted.

I’ve been showing Willow red, yellow, and blue rainbow links, and telling him he is a blue bird, but I’m not sure it’s getting learned. I know parrots can learn to pick one color, but since he doesn’t talk much, it’s hard to know.

We both get very sleepy when Willow leans up against my cheek and eye and I rub both sides of his jaw. If I DO start to fall asleep he will pinch my finger to tell me to “get back to work”!

_I_ was falling asleep. Looks like Willow woke up when the flash went off.

Last edited:

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Awww that is just precious. What a snuggler. Birb snuggles are the best

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Awww that is just precious. What a snuggler. Birb snuggles are the best
It’s not the greatest picture of me but any picture of Willow is ok. I had a couple more but he had his head upside down and his toes in his mouth.

I hate that I start to fall asleep and have to put him in his house. My very old Quaker used to crash on my pillow but Willow is actually mobile so I don’t dare do that with him.

Most Reactions

Latest posts