Hello All! New to the forum: and thinking of getting an Eclectus..?

OP
Sterling1113

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Terry: I'm home most of the time and would plan on having whatever bird I decide on outside of the cage as much as possible.I don't work so the only time I'm not here is when my boyfriend and I are running errands or something of the sort. And even still we're not usually gone for more than 4 hours tops if we go out.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
That makes a huge difference! You are going to give one lucky bird a home:)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Like Terry said, it's hard to tell exactly how big the cage is from that pic. But, that said, the price sounds like an amazing deal! Bixby's travel carrier cost more! Smh.

piglet

Feb 7, 2014
Am i the only one that is wondering what will happen to your eclectus if it decided to have all the traits you said you didn't want in the beginning like bonding to one person, not liking your little birds, etc? you always have to be prepared for the what if..just because you socialize your baby doesn't mean it won't decide it hates your boyfriend and flies at his face. what then? do you have an avian vet? you're going to get the ekkie vet checked right? and separated from your littles for quarantine? and are prepared for separate out times and rooms etc if the birds don't get along? otherwise all great info, ekkies are very neat birds that are unique and I'm sure you'll love your ekkie friend.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I think that is why she is doing all her research before getting one:)

OP
Sterling1113

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Piglet: You bring up very good points, and as I've stated a couple times before I have a month or two before I actually begin the process of purchasing a bird. In that time frame I'll be contacting a local Avian Vet(Not just a vet that happens to be OK with birds) and even a behaviorist if I can find one, for if I have trouble socializing my bird in any way. I'm 100% prepared for my expectations to be thrown down the drain, which is why I'm staying away from big birds like Macaws and Cockatoos, as I'd rather have a few stitches than lose a finger! Yikes! Always worried about the worst case scenario.

It would absolutely break my heart if the bird became impartial to me, my boyfriend, my birds, or any combination of those but that doesn't mean I will shun the bird. I've had birds and reptiles that would not socialize at all and hated being touched, but with patience and work that can always be fixed. They might not be cuddly and snuggly, but atleast they won't absolutely *hate* me. As I have reptiles also, I keep all my animals separated (except my two conures who are in a cage together. They're inseparable! ) so I'm definitely prepared to keep them out of each others' sight if it becomes a problem.

If the bird becomes severely aggressive (to the point of being unable to let him/her out of the cage) then odds are we would search for someone with more experience than us(maybe even a rescue group, given good conditions) to adopt the bird. Although I absolutely HATE re-homing my animals, even if it's in their best interest it breaks my heart. :( Sorta makes me feel like a failed momma, you know? So I've got my fingers crossed I won't get the short end of the stick and get a bird that's just entirely hateful with no signs of improvement.(Which is another reason I'm fearful of adoption with my first "large" parrot, but still not crossing it out as an option!)

In my opinion, I'm kinda hard to hate:p I tend to get along with most animals I meet, even at local pet shops they express how surprised they are that the birds let me handle them, as usually they fly away or run. It just takes patience. Except for one sun conure, apparently he was like 5 years old and kept getting passed around from shop to shop and became bitter and mean. :( Poor little fella. Made me sad for him. One of the employees adopted him though, so he's in good hands.

ANYWAY! I'm rambling. Point is if I don't feel like I'm 100% ready I will NOT bring home a bird as needy as an Eclectus. I wouldn't make a bird uncomfortable just so I can go "Look at the pretty birdie!" Ya know?
I appreciate the concern though. I'd be the same way if I saw someone on the Conure forums saying about getting one with no experience, I'd be sort of upset by that. (Even though that's a bad analogy. GCC's are low maintenance in comparison:p )

Most Reactions