Help!! Please!!! Help!!!

95talongirl

Jul 24, 2012
IL
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon, Mopar
Hawkhead Parrot, Maverick
He is a feather plucker and has watery stools, so the vet wants to test for it. So naturally, I tend to freak out since it appears close to 1/3 of our captive birds carry it. Well, according to some article online.

Of course, like the vet said, it could be a multitude of reasons for his current conditions. But when one hears those words, it's hard to get it out of your head. :/

How is Wingnut doing? Idk if I missed it, but what made you get the tests done? He wasn't showing signs, was he? I know vets tend to test for all those things now. When I first got Mopar, my amazon, the vet ran all the tests.

Again, I hope for the best for you. I really feel terrible that you have to deal with all that. We love out birds so much and it sucks that something like a virus can take the happiness right out. Hang in there! :)

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
PBFD is a serious contagious disease with a scary outcome. I don't know Wingnut's age, but if he is 6 months or under, he can still be ok, when the test is redone in a few months. However, I would try and find someone who could take him in temporarily, someone with no other birds obviously. A family member or friend could help maybe and house him?? Being in the same house as the others really increase the risk of infection.

I am deeply sorry that you are going through this :(

95talongirl

Jul 24, 2012
IL
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon, Mopar
Hawkhead Parrot, Maverick
PBFD is a serious contagious disease with a scary outcome. I don't know Wingnut's age, but if he is 6 months or under, he can still be ok, when the test is redone in a few months. However, I would try and find someone who could take him in temporarily, someone with no other birds obviously. A family member or friend could help maybe and house him?? Being in the same house as the others really increase the risk of infection.

I am deeply sorry that you are going through this :(

That, is actually a really good idea!

If I remember correctly, she said Wingnut is about 5 months old, so I think he can still overcome it, too. :)

However, the Bornavirus will never go away, right? Any suggestions on how to handle that situation? It seems there's still a lot of conflicting information on that virus.. which makes sense, since it was only really discovered a few years ago. Seems quite a few birds can carry it without any issues, but that still doesn't make it any less frightening. lol!

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I've heard that due to different regulations between Australia and the USA, that the vaccine can't be used in the USA. I don't recall the specifics on it, however....

Ever heard of Oscar the naked dancing cockatoo???? If Oscar is still alive, then she should be over 18 years old. (possibly in 20's, 30's or older even!)
Oscar the Naked Cockatoo | Parrot Nation
Ugly Overload: Oscar the Featherless Bird
Oscar The Cockatoo with no feathers | The Adventures of Kacy The Conure Parrot ? Bryan's Angels

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvZbGUNU_s8"]Oscar The Naked Dancing Cockatoo - YouTube[/ame]

You may also want to take a look at Roudybush's Careline products and discuss them with your avian vet. One in there might be helpful.

Roudybush Direct

Most Reactions

Latest posts