Help!! Please!!! Help!!!

gizzygirl

Jul 23, 2013
MO
Parrots
Ayla, Jondalar (tiels), Lucy ( BG macaw), Phoenix (Camilla macaw), n Gizmo, Annie (Goffin toos)
Get your other birds inoculated. You will need to keep your sick bird in a separate room, you must wash clothes immediately after leaving, shower, and treat the room like an infectious disease. ..that's what it is. There's someone we found out about that had a bg macaw who did this until it died at 10 yro. I'm so sorry you're all going through this!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I believe the only vaccine available at this time is for the the Polyoma virus?
It's just too bad they're not like dogs where deadly contagious virals are not an issue.

Blueridge

Sep 16, 2013
North Carolina
Parrots
Rocky - Yellow-Faced Quaker Parrot
He can get through this. I'll pray for you, I hope your bird will be okay! I'm so sorry; stay strong!!!!

christine

Sep 9, 2013
Corona del Mar, CA
Parrots
2 Lovebirds: 1 male A. r. roseicollis (Whitefaced Violet Mutation) & 1 female A. r. roseicollis (Green Mutation?)
YOU MUST ISOLATE BIRD AND RETEST IN 90 DAYS

First off, I think your vet was wrong about you already having "done the damage to the other birds." I think should separate Wingnut from the other birds. PBFD is primarily spread through contact with surfaces that have been contaminated with saliva, feces, dander, etc (although it is also airborne but less contractible this way). It is possible that the other birds have not contracted it yet and you could still prevent it. The virus can live for up to year on surfaces. You need to separate the bird and then disinfect everything. You might need to use bleach, just be careful with the birds and don't do it when they are in the room. If u want to stay non toxic at least combine vinegar with tea tree oil to make it more effective against viruses. I would throw out all the toys and get new ones. If you have the room for it I would keep each and every bird in separate rooms in disinfected cages. I would then test each of them to see if any of them caught it from Wingnut. I know PBFD is an immune disease, similar to AIDS or lupus for humans. Immune diseases do not usually directly cause death, instead they weaken the immune system allowing viral, bacterial, or fungal infections to take place. These secondary infections are usually what ends up causing death. The best thing you can do with immune diseases is strengthen the immune system as much as you can. This means high quality water, clean air, the best food, and lots of vitamins (through fresh veggies, sprouts, etc). Young birds are more likely to die from these secondary infections. If a bird lives to be mature then it builds up immunity and can sometimes live a long life generally okay and can pass this immunity on to offspring.

Secondly, if it was just a routine check and he is not displaying any symptoms yet then there is some hope. According to avian biotech.com "Some birds infected with the virus, test positive, but never show clinical signs. Other birds which test positive may develop an immune response sufficient enough to fight off the infection and test negative after 30-90 days. Therefore, it is recommended to re-test all PBFD positive birds 60-90 days after the initial testing was completed. If the second sample remains positive, the bird should be considered permanently infected and can be expected to show clinical symptoms of the disease."

Good luck, give Wingnut kisses from me. There's hope! Do research on PBFD treatment. Even with full blown feather and beak symptoms people are having some good results with boosting the birds immunity. Seems there's a whole community out there of PBFD Parrot owners.

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
I don't have experience with this illness but I'm checking in to send precious Wingnut some hugs & kisses. And you too! ((Hugs))

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
@Strudel: There's a vaccine?!?!? If there is indeed a vaccine available to the public then the powers-that-be in the avian health community have really fallen asleep at the wheel! Unbelievable! Thank you for sharing that link, Apple!

One thing, though. The letters used in the acronym on the site you referenced are slightly different. (BFDV rather than PBFD.) Does anyone know whether that's just another name for the same disease as opposed to something completely different altogether?

@Christine: Thank you for such a comprehensive breakdown of PBFD and the steps we should use to verify/combat it. VERY much appreciated!

OP
BirdyMomma

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
Hi Christine. I don't know if you are a veterinarian or something, but I wish my veterinarian had been as clear and succinct as you are in relaying information. Thank you very much for your help.

Thank you everyone else, for all your help as well.

It's been five days since the Vet called and told me about Wingnuts test results, and this nightmare began. We have been working and re-working this situation over and over and over and over in our heads, ad nauseum. There are things that don't make sense, things that don't even seem possible and NO REAL ANSWERS.

In an effort to take every possible precaution, we removed our Cockatoo from the room, and separated Loki and Wingnut. Toys were thrown away, walls and cages were bleached and sanitized. Our hands faces and necks were washed between handling birds. Different sweatshirts kept in each room and only worn when handling that bird.

We have been in regular contact with both the vets office, and the place from where all of our birds came, all week long. The veterinary staff speaks to me in somber, grave tones, where I can almost see them shaking their heads in sympathy. The man who sold us our birds speaks to us with vehement reassurance, that Wingnut does NOT have PBFD, and that he will not test positive again. He asked us to please bring Wingnut to him, so he could see for himself, and after seeing and handling Wingnut, he is convinced that Wingnut is going to be fine.

Both the vets and the store owner agree on one thing; I can bleach my house, change my clothes and wash until I have peace of mind, but it is all in vain. If the virus is present, it is throughout our home, not centralized in one area. We are still taking the same precautions, but it occurred to me, how futile my efforts were, in the middle of sweeping the floor where Knuckles is.......with the same broom from Wingnuts room. I would literally need different sets of cleaning products, an autoclave and a truckload of bleach.... And it still wouldn't make a difference.

So, now were waiting. We have an appointment for all three birds on March 4. And then we will wait a week more for results.......and although we will be praying for a negative result, it will offer us little more than a sigh of relief, because we will have to get them re tested every 60-90 days, and can always end up with a positive result.

I'm sorry if I sound negative. I'm not. My family and I are just living with this, the best way we can for now. Instead of focusing on what we cannot change, we are concerned with the happiness of our birds, and their continued development. As opportunities for answers, and appropriate action arise, they will be eagerly siezed, but for now, there is nothing to do but care for our birds, love them and enjoy them as originally intended.

Thank you everyone for the caring and support. So many of you have offered information and encouragement, without which we could not have made it this far. I cannot convey how much having you all here means to us, not only for the advice given, but for the wonderful, happy stories, and photos you all share, which will keep our minds in the right place, and remind us why we have our birds in the first place. LOVE.

Last edited:

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
(BFDV rather than PBFD.)
I had never heard of this before birdymomma's thread. I searched and that link was on a page about the disease. I don't know anything about anything, but I presume the link being on the page about what I searched for means it's the same thing....

OP
BirdyMomma

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
Yes, Strudel, I encountered the same thing in my reading. I believe that in the UK it's called BFDV, where we call it PBFD. But I don't know anything about anything either :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Michelle, your attitude, love, devotion & care is EXAMPLARY! Many, many hugs to you!!! :)

(BFDV rather than PBFD.)
I had never heard of this before birdymomma's thread. I searched and that link was on a page about the disease. I don't know anything about anything, but I presume the link being on the page about what I searched for means it's the same thing....

I did some extensive digging, and as per the "latest" news, NO vaccine has been made commercially available in Australia (or elsewhere) as of 2010.

Tag Archive for 'PBFD update' at PsittacineBeakFeatherDisease.com is about PBFD

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Thanks for tracking that down and providing the link, Wendy! Not too happy about the info, of course, but it's good to know.

And Michele, I don't think you're being negative at all. You're in a very difficult and painful situation, and I think you're handling it extremely well. Just know that we'll all continue to be here for you.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Michelle, you have been such an inspiration to me as I have watched you deal with this. I do not think you are negative at all, and I applaud what you are doing to concentrate on making Wingnut, Loki and Knucky happy.
I think you are an amazing strong woman and parront and I hope that if I ever have to deal with anything like this, that I can do it with the grace & courage that you have. I am proud to know you:)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Michele, I agree that you are being so strong as difficult as this is. You are NOT being negative. You just know the reality of the situation and are doing what you have to do.
It is so hard to keep micro dust particles in check in quarantine. Even as I gather and crumple cage papers to put them in he trash, I noticed even if I do it VERY slowly, I can see in the light that a certain amount of dust particles still fly out and around in the environment.
I am so hoping that the further testing shows that Wingnut (and Loki and Knuckles) are negative, which would still mean a carrier state is possible. Do as much research as possible regarding clean up of the hardy microscopic virus particles throughout the environment, and how to eradicate it effectively. If you can find info on breeders who had it and what they did to get rid of it effectively? Good luck Michelle, and hang in there. :)

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
as per the "latest" news, NO vaccine has been made commercially available in Australia (or elsewhere) as of 2010.
Thanks for that. Searched up the reason.....

"Likewise, there is no vaccine available. A lot of research has gone into this both here in Australia and also in the USA. Garry Cross at the University of Sydney was able to develop an effective vaccine but Government requirements to test it on all parrot species and the costs involved in doing this have made it cost-prohibitive. At this stage an effective, readily available vaccine still eludes us."
http://www.uq.edu.au/vetschool/beak-and-feather-disease

I wonder how much money they need to satisfy the testing requirements to try to get government approval for the vaccine? Maybe a fundraising drive and awareness campaign could get the research moving? I wonder whether they are still working on the testing and it may happen in time, or they've just given up completely on working towards approval? about They were accepting donations, but that's an old link....

Anybody know any filthy rich people who might want to help pet birds????

EDIT: Looks like they are working on it at Murdoch Uni.... (I wish they'd date web pages)
http://www.parrotsociety.org.au/index.php?mod=Dynamic&id=19

Last edited:

snowghost

Feb 16, 2014
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Parrots
One white front Amazon, Bugsy, I've had her for 19 years and Cracker, a 10 year old Cockatiel.
Check this link Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease (PBFD) It states that "Some birds infected with the virus, test positive, but never show clinical signs. Other birds which test positive may develop an immune response sufficient enough to fight off the infection and test negative after 30-90 days. Therefore, it is recommended to re-test all PBFD positive birds 60-90 days after the initial testing was completed."
My heart goes out to you. I've had Bugsy for 19 years and would be devastated if anything happened to her. She is a white front amazon.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
You are a wonderful person :) see how these birds bring out the most selfless love in us? This bird is safe, and in the best care possible with you. What ever is gonna be is gonna be, but he's got someone watching over him and caring about him (you) and that's the only thing that counts in the end. Not a year or two more, but that.

Birdbrain91

Dec 6, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Parrots
Apollo (A bossy YSGCC) Cleo (Sun Conure) Wesley (B&G Macaw)
I'm reading this for the first time and it has brought tears to my eyes.

Michelle, I'm so sorry you are going through this. I wish there was something I could say or do to make things better. There has been some great medical advice on here so I won't repeat them. All I can say is you are an amazing person to handle this as well as you have.

You can't change what is going on with Wingnut all you can do is be strong for him. This must be just as scary for him as it is for you. All he knows is his flock has moved out and people are sad around him. Our babies sense more then we think. So next time you go into his room smile and just have fun with him it might make both of you feel better.

Again I'm so sorry!!!! You and your whole flock are in my thoughts and prayers. Sending big HUGS!!! Your way.

95talongirl

Jul 24, 2012
IL
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon, Mopar
Hawkhead Parrot, Maverick
I am hoping for the best for you!!! I am currently going through a similar situation. Had my adoptive hawkhead tested for bornavirus and it's stressing the hell out of me, as I am worried for him and for my amazon. Even though I have both birds in separate rooms, I am deathly afraid that I brought home a horrible disease. :(.

OP
BirdyMomma

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
What is making you think that? Is either bird showing symptoms?

Most Reactions