How can I tell if my dog ate my conure ?

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I hope you find your baby.

I really don't think the dog did it either. There would be feathers scattered around, and probably blood too (from bird AND dog).

I wonder if playing familiar music or something might help to lure back. Also, I'd put an ad up on Craigslist, and see if that helps.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
OMG I am speechless, do not know what to think, so many different options to where the bird could be, could have gone etc....

Previously a member's bird also went missing, 3 days later the bird appeared, as if nothing had happened.
I pray you find him........

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
I really believe there would definitely be evidence if your dog was involved. Two thoughts come to mind. One, he has injured himself and is laying somewhere. Check under the fridge, oven, behind the toilet, tub, move bureaus. Two, he could have been on your shoulder or flown out without you noticing when you left. Either way I do so hope you find him soon.

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Newton aycliffe Co.Durham
Parrots
Jinx - Blue Fronted Amazon hatched 12.06.2012
I really hope you find the little guy god love him he will be scared to death and I think you can rule the dog out of the picture if you say your dog is fine with the dove I think he may have gotten out some how but never give up hope I hope he finds you again

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
I hope you find your baby. In case he was escaped or stolen, put fliers up right away, and offer a reward (but dont disclose the amount of the reward)- of he is stolen, he's proabbly being stolen to be sold. I'm real sorry about this all. Must be the most awful feeling in the world- you dont know if he's dead and to give up, or to keep on looking.

Annageckos

Jul 4, 2012
PA, USA
Parrots
Ziva - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
I hope you find your bird, look everywhere, even places you don't think he could be. And recheck spots too. If you dog got your bird you would know. But also keep in mind for the future, shiba inus are a hunting breed. Even if you never have seen any kind of predatory behavior I would be carefully about leaving the dog alone with any small animals. A warning snap from the dog could kill a bird, even though the dog didn't mean to. I have seen it before. Any animal should be supervised if they can interact, it only takes a second for something to happen.

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
If he got spooked he could have flown into something and hurt himself. He could be lying somewhere be sure to check everywhere just in case.

Kern2012

Jun 9, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
Parrots
Cinnamon GCC and GCC
That is very true Jenlynn... Is your apartment easy to get into if someone really wanted to? Maybe some took him cause they were mad about the noise! Im stumped! Good luck again and I hope you find him!

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
It just happened to me today where my Crimson got spooked and I was looking everywhere! He is flighted so I looked up and searched fans etc. Then down under cages, couch etc. I have an ottoman like chair in the bird room and I looked under then pick half of it up. Nothing..... Could not find him! I have a throw on the ottoman too so I took that off then heard a noise so I took the pillows off. Nothing. I lifted the ottoman up again and he was hanging under it!!!!!! He had crawled under it then climbed up so he was hanging out under the chair and even though I moved, lifted and removed pillows, if he hadn't moved a bit for me to hear him, god knows how long it would have taken me to find him!

So if you looked under furniture you also want to make sure he is not holding onto the underside of them like mine did.

Hope you find him......that's a horrible feeling :(

AVM

Oct 11, 2011
CA
Parrots
Female sun conure-Phoenix
I cannot even imagine what you must be going through! I hope you find your bird soon! stay strong!

PetoftheDay

Dec 27, 2010
Boston area, MA
Does he have any regular feeding time that he might come out for if he's hiding?

And is he banded or microchipped so if he got out and someone found him, he could make it back to you? Do you have pictures of him, to prove ownership if it comes down to it? Is he flighted?

I would definitely ask amongst neighbors if anyone heard or saw anything unusual, and make up flyers. Also call local vets just in case - sometimes people will bring a "found" bird to them. And keep an eye on Craiglist in case he shows up there ... (evil rotten bird-nappers selling him ...)

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
I hope you guys find him soon :( . The dog can be ruled out by a simple x-ray, bones are radio-opaque. Also if he was banded, depending on the type, that could also show up. It doesnt sound like the dog did it but its something that can be easily ruled out.

everdusk

Oct 27, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Parrots
Marzipan (Hahns Macaw) & Pip & Monte ('tiels) // In Memory: Countess ('tiel), Primrose (GCC), Pauly, Star, Yoshi & Keitaro (budgies)
Wow I feel so sick just at the thought of this happening...

Maybe your birdy hurt himself when the perch broke (and how sturdy is this perch, could a bird have broken it?), or got spooked? Is he flighted (you might have said all ready), if not, he might have run off and found a dark place to hide. Conures like to nestle into dark places. Have you tipped your couch/mattress/chairs over and searched the inside? Like Echo said they could climb up and in and maybe he got stuck in one of these places?

I would also gather your band number and any particular identification traits and call ALL of the pet stores and shelters/rescues within the area that the bird might turn up (either found or for sale/trade). Put up flyers and check craigs list and any other places that a bird might go up for sale. Definitely alert your apartment management and request that they contact all your neighbours and ask questions (or go knock on doors yourself as well). Time is of the essence.

Don't be ashamed to ask for help, or to alert authorities (might want to do that too actually). If your bird shows up at home that is great and just a little embarrassing - but if that means they catch someone with a stolen bird then it will have been so worth the effort.

Wish I could help more!

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
I hope you find your bird soon :( Try to play conure contact calls on your computer or play it on your phone while roaming your apartment complex. Who knows, he might just respond.

Also one other important question to ask. Why did that perch break? Can you post a picture of the perch? A bird could not have done it...

Please update us!!

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
I can't help but obsess over this, so I wrote down some thoughts to hopefully give you ideas. In all this, try to answer the only relevant question you have as far as the evidence: How did the perch break? Here are different scenarios to consider...

Bird Was Stolen to be Sold

1. The culprit must have been in the same building or an adjacent building who knew exactly how to get in your unit, that you left the apartment building and that you are the couple with the bird. I would suspect neighbors, land lords, janitors, managers. Their motive is to sell the bird.

2. If they are in the apartment building, so should your bird. If that's the case, he may call out to you so keep trying. Unless...

3. It is so well planned that they had someone waiting to take the bird away from the building. Which means...

4. People must have witnessed the exchange. The bird must have made some noise. The best thing to do is...

5. Ask around. Your neighbors, the landlord, people in the next building.

Bird Was Taken in Anger

1. The culprit must have been in the same building or an adjacent building who knew exactly how to get in your unit, that you left the apartment building and that you are the couple with the bird. I would suspect neighbors, land lords, janitors, managers. Their motive is driven by anger perhaps due to the noise level of the bird.

2. It would not make sense for this person to keep a bird if they found it noisy. I would not suspect the bird to be in the same building in this scenario.

3. I would still ask around the neigborhood. Someone must have withessed the bird being taken away.

4. If the bird was let loose, widen the search area. Put out flyers, contact the proper institutions.

5. I'm sorry if this may seem inconsiderate of me, but I am sure you have thought of the worst things. Its possible that an angry neighbor would want to dispose of the bird right away so he would not get caught. There are crazy people out there who would not think twice about hurting an animal.

Bird Flew Out of the Cage, Still in Apartment

1. He could be afraid and hiding somewhere, especially if he is injured.

2. I know you've looked everywhere. Just to add, check vents, behind stoves, refrigerators, washer/driers, air shafts, clothes piles, shoes.

3. To lure him out, leave his favorite treats and water in places you think would be easy for him to access.

4. Try to close toilet bowls and don't leave cooking food unattended in the off chance that he comes out and ends up in it.

5. Go on your computer or phone and play conure contact calls, in and around your unit in hopes of luring him out.

I will think of more if I can. I really hope you find your bird, or at the very least, get some sort of resolution / closure on this. Please do not give up!!! I am hoping for the best for you and your family!

~Boomer's Dad

Last edited:
OP
C

Conuregirl

Jan 16, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
Oliver the nanday conure (rescue), Suki the green cheek conure, Picabo the Hahn's Macaw, and Big Bird the dove
:) oh my goodness, all these responses are amazing!

Oliver is back! I went to sleep at 5am trying not to think where he went. i woke up at 6am and checked my living room (bird room) and nothing. i did the same thing at 7am and 8am. i went back to sleep and at 9:30am i heard light squawking in my living room. i thought it was my green cheek playing... it was oliver sitting on top of my Givenchy Nightingale bag that was next to the ottoman. I couldnt believe the sight of him at first because i was still waking up. it was oliver making baby bird sounds, calling out. he only makes baby bird sounds when he's scared or doesn't like something, like at the vet or getting his wings clipped. lol my husband thought it was funny oliver picked my beloved bag to perch on. my husband even checked my bag last night..no bird.

we pushed the furniture out, brought out flashlights, went through drawers, looked under cabinets/shelving, and kept calling his name. i broke down at 4am and let everything turn quiet. before we had all the lights on and i wasnt sure if the bird was hurt, scared, or a combination of both. this morning was sunny, bright, and quiet. i dont know what made him finally come out of hiding.

i was starting to think that the dog MAY have mamed him or killed him and hid him as a trophy. my dog has never done that but i had dogs in the past hide bones. my dog saw oliver today and both went about their business like nothing happened.

OP
C

Conuregirl

Jan 16, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
Oliver the nanday conure (rescue), Suki the green cheek conure, Picabo the Hahn's Macaw, and Big Bird the dove
i am so sorry for the late update. after i was reunited with oliver, i went to sleep on the couch (next to his cage lol). then i had to go to my evening summer class (lecture and lab) tonight and didnt get out for a few hours.

oliver is so happy! when i first picked him up, he rubbed his head on my hand making all sorts of happy sounds. i gave him lavish praise and love for a bit. next, i put him on his cage and he went to town eating and drinking back and forth for a few minutes lol.

i dont know what happened to him. he may have been hanging on to something or crawled inside the ottoman, underneath. i didnt think he could do that but that must of been the situation.

Didomum

Jul 9, 2012
Parrots
2 Quakers, 1 ring neck and 4 budgies. Baby Eclectus due sept 2012
Fantastic news. I been thinking of you all day. SOoo glad he turned up. He must have had a real scare to hide for that long. Don't forget to hug him and the dog.

Most Reactions