How can I tell if my dog ate my conure ?

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
We always mention how our birds can be so loud that we apologize for them, and the one time we want them to be loud, not a sound! Lol. I'm glad he is back and I'm also happy for the dog who was probably thinking "I swear I didn't do it!!!!" all along! Ha

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
I'm SO glad you found him , i think he had us all stumped ;)

OP
C

Conuregirl

Jan 16, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
Oliver the nanday conure (rescue), Suki the green cheek conure, Picabo the Hahn's Macaw, and Big Bird the dove
Oh you're not a dope! Birds can hide most excellently! It's happened to me as well! I lost a budgie for a whole day flipping out crying upset, then it turned out she was behind the stove and just fine. It happens. And it doesn't hurt to reach out for help when you're scared and your baby is missing.

thanks so much all! I was incredibly embarrassed to update he resurfaced out of hiding! i never thought birds would do that kind of thing. most of the time they really like being by their cage, you know? i figured a pet snake or hamster might want to hide out. all my birdies follow me around or hang out with us while they are on their java trees, playstand, or find something else high to perch on.

it really did a 180 on me that he hide for at least 12 hours totally silent! i mean oliver always sounds off if i walk the dog, go in the kitchen, or any other room. when i get home, him and the other birds squawks and screeches for at 5 minutes. when he didnt make any sound and wasn't in sight, i really thought something was wrong with him. i thought he was hurt somewhere, but thank god he isn't! he's been a little distant since yesterday. he doesn't want to get picked up the way he usually does. i am assuming he's mad at me lol. :rolleyes: don't worry he's eating and making noise like he does. :)

http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/POLLY_S_PET_PRODUCTS-Polly_s_Mess_Less_Perch_Cup_Large.html

here is the perch. the bar slipped out of the white capped holder. he didn't chew on it. i guess over use it became a little loose. i'm going to fix it later

Last edited:

LauraT

Jun 17, 2012
Parrots
Baxter - Senegal, Reilly - Blue Crown Conure, Robinson - Red Bellied Parrot
I am so happy to hear he is safe and sound. What a scare!
Laura

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Glad that Oliver came out of hiding and is safe and well. :) Would be interesting to know where he was all that time, but I think it would require someone like Sherlock Holmes to solve that mystery. :D

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
I just saw your update. I'm glad you were reunited with Oliver! :D

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I had to read through the whole thing, I'm glad you've found Oliver. They pick the darnest place to hide I tell ya! You can call all you want and they won't make a peep. That's happened to me before and they could be anywhere in my house as there's too much furniture to go through and different rooms to go through here....lol....But I usually find them after 30min or so...lol....

OP
C

Conuregirl

Jan 16, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
Oliver the nanday conure (rescue), Suki the green cheek conure, Picabo the Hahn's Macaw, and Big Bird the dove
hey, guys! in case anyone wanted to know where Ollie hid.. he revealed it to me today lol!

oliver flew to his java playstand but didn't make it and hit the floor. well, i have a hoodie draped over a chair. i saw him grab onto my hoodie from the floor and climb up, hang on the inside of it behind the chair lol! he looked like a bat in there! i picked him up and looked at my hoodie. omg, there is poop dried and streaked down all over My Chemical Romance hoodie!!! mystery solved? that bird is quite a character...

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Sheesh !! I'm so glad this has a happy ending !!
I had to read through the whole thread and my heart was pounding till I got to the part about him coming out of hiding !!
I'm so happy for you :). And , it does sound like you found his little hidey hole , lol.
I would rather sacrifice my bag or hoodie just to have my baby back.
Just saying...

OP
C

Conuregirl

Jan 16, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
I had to read through the whole thread and my heart was pounding till I got to the part about him coming out of hiding !!
I'm so happy for you :). And , it does sound like you found his little hidey hole , lol.
Just saying...

i'm not mad at him lol. he could have put holes in it, too, and it would have been cool. i think he's so weird in a good way. :)

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Just saying...

i'm not mad at him lol. he could have put holes in it, too, and it would have been cool. i think he's so weird in a good way. :)

i know , when it comes down to it , we can never really get mad , maybe a bit put off , but thats about it ;)

My Stella put her signature on her information tag that was on her cage at the store....i told the owner I wanted it and when he went to take it off the day before I was coming to pick her up , she put a nice hole right in the middle of it , lolol. He was surprised because she never even looked at it before till I said I wanted it ,lololol.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
I'm glad you got him back! What a ridiculous place to hide! Maybe he slept the whole time because it was dark (or night) in the hoodie, and came out when he couldn't stand sleeping anymore.

Most Reactions