How can I tell if my dog ate my conure ?

Mozzie

Mar 20, 2012
Media
Utah
Parrots
African grey (peppers)
Blue crown conure (Mozzie)
Sun conure (sunny)
Jenday conure (Bo)
Blue fronted amazon (Casey)
I'm so glad your baby is back safe and sound!

OP
C

Conuregirl

Jan 16, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
Oliver the nanday conure (rescue), Suki the green cheek conure, Picabo the Hahn's Macaw, and Big Bird the dove
thanks, everyone! i cant believe he would hide all night with us looking for him. we were so concerned something sinister happened to him. i never had a pet do that. he must have been so frightened.

my green cheek and my dove have never done anything like that. those guys would have called or flew to me. oliver is a rescue amd he struggles with a lot of new things. my other birds dont ever freak out the way he does at the signt of something unfamiliar. also, he has a dehabilitating fear of men and hands. my husband wasnt here last night until much later. something happened during the day to make him hide for cover and not come out. now, i'll always put him away and lock the cage, even if i step out for a few minutes.

patch

May 14, 2012
Parrots
Nanday mutation
Oh man I am so happy you found him! I know what it's like; the first week I had Pepper, I stepped out to go to the bathroom and came back to find him gone! He was only under the bed but man did that frighten me. There must be something about rehomed nandays... They have to give you a virtual heart attack before you can get much done with them.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
What great news! I'm so happy Oliver is safe and sound...

Just shows you didn't look everywhere... Where in the world could he have been hiding?

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
So glad you found him! I know just how you feel. About two months ago I had a baby parrotlet escape from his brooder. I walked back to feed everyone and his brother was standing in the middle of the floor just looking at me. I really wasn't too worried at first because I figured he was just hanging out in the baby room. We ripped apart the three ajoining rooms(the only ones he could have been in) and couldn't find him anywhere. We searched for about 2 hours until I was literally in tears! There was a tiny little hole in the floor that we decided he must have climbed down into. My fiance was so upset he said he was going to the store to buy a saw and cut the floor up, and we have pretty nice hardwood floors. I didn't want him to cut the floor since we really didn't know if he was down there or not but we couldn't think of any other possibilities. Then right as he was heading out the door to go buy a saw I saw him sitting up on the ledge of the one door frame. He wasn't there the whole time, I looked there before, but wherever he was hiding he came out from and just in time. I was never so happy! That baby had a home already and I was freaking out, I couldn't imagine how I was going to tell his mom that I literally lost her baby! And it was even scarier since he was still strictly on formula so I couldn't just wait him out or anything. After all was said and done I did tell his new mom about the near heart attack her baby gave me and a big warning on how much of a little scoundrel he was gonna be :p

OP
C

Conuregirl

Jan 16, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
Oliver the nanday conure (rescue), Suki the green cheek conure, Picabo the Hahn's Macaw, and Big Bird the dove
i've had oliver for 2 months and he always stayed at his cage. his foster mom told me that he always stayed and never ventured off, too. she had him for 7 months. he only trusts women and even she couldn't handle him. i felt honored that he allowed me to pet and scratch him. he hardly steps up for anyone else except me.

it was killing me not knowing if he was dead or alive. i really felt my blessed dog would never do anything to the birds and i'm relieved she didn't! i'm going to examine the insides of some furniture and any other nooks to find where he was. i figure if i find a lot of poop, that's the spot. i dont understand why he didnt call out. he's a nanday; he can wake the dead with his screech.

i feel terrible i failed to find or save him. he doesn't show any signs of distress or illness, and he still has an appetite. it would be rad if i could learn what happened or triggered this fight or flight response. i really look like a dope in this thread lol.

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
Cheeky little thing, I am so glad you found him and he is safe and sound now!

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
So glad that you found him!

Any idea what made his perch broke? Whatever it was, could've spooked him into hiding.

SunConureMom

Jun 23, 2012
USA
Parrots
Calie - (M. Sun Conure, hatched 3/12)
I'm so glad you found him! I keep checking this thread every day hoping for a good ending!

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
♥♥♥ⓣⓗⓐⓝⓚⓨⓞⓤ ♥♥♥ ........ so glad he was ok ...... woo-hoo!!!!!! ♪♫ :D

Annageckos

Jul 4, 2012
PA, USA
Parrots
Ziva - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
it would be rad if i could learn what happened or triggered this fight or flight response. i really look like a dope in this thread lol.

That's great that you found him safe and sound. Do you know how the perch broke? Did he chew it? I would think that maybe he was sitting on the perch when it broke. That may have startled him and caused him to fly and hide.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I can now relax, knowing he has been found.
Thank goodness..........
Just shows exactly how quiet and still, a bird can become, when scared and frightened.
I love a happy ending

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
That is such wonderful news. Does he seem okay? Hope he didn't hurt himself. Something must have really frightened him.
Great to know he is safe.

everdusk

Oct 27, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Parrots
Marzipan (Hahns Macaw) & Pip & Monte ('tiels) // In Memory: Countess ('tiel), Primrose (GCC), Pauly, Star, Yoshi & Keitaro (budgies)
Oh you're not a dope! Birds can hide most excellently! It's happened to me as well! I lost a budgie for a whole day flipping out crying upset, then it turned out she was behind the stove and just fine. It happens. And it doesn't hurt to reach out for help when you're scared and your baby is missing.

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
I'm so glad you found him! I bet he was happy to see you again too.

I wonder if the perch wasn't faulty and split when he stepped on it or something and freaked him out? Poor little guy. I'm glad he's safe and sound!

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Yey! So happy you found him! I knew you would. They're good at giving you heart attacks. I'm so happy to hear he's back with you!

Most Reactions