New and old

OP
Shawchert

Shawchert

Jan 24, 2012
Upstate NY
Parrots
Parakeet: Rio
gum passed away in the night :( I feel horrible what he had to go through and I am going to do my best Rio doesn't go through the same thing, I'm going to find him a vet and get him checked out and see if (s?)he has an infection too.

OP
Shawchert

Shawchert

Jan 24, 2012
Upstate NY
Parrots
thanks I'm going to bury him in the woods right now, that way no one will just randomly dig him up as I don't own a yard myself.

OP
Shawchert

Shawchert

Jan 24, 2012
Upstate NY
Parrots
I still haven't found any Avian vets near me, so I'm going to call local vet on monday, see if they know of anyone and if they can at least give my Rio a checkup. In any case I have a picture of him *or her*, well 3 on here now

shawchert-albums-rio-picture3650-chilling.jpg

The nostrils do seem odd and I don't know if that's a birth defect or not but he doesn't seem to have a problem breathing. He also seems to have recovered from whatever happened on his upper right Cere (left on picture) so that makes me happy. He's still a very very frightened little bird and I'm taking things slow and steady with him. I hope he becomes more trusting of me as Bear and Gum once were.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
She's cute. Well, right now it looks like a she but it's still very young so it could be a he. It does look like one of her nares is very large, and maybe like there has been some discharge. If you do a search online you will find a list of avian vets, and you can see who is closest to you. Other vets may see birds as well, but sometimes you get a good one and sometimes you don't.

OP
Shawchert

Shawchert

Jan 24, 2012
Upstate NY
Parrots
Closest one is Ithica and that's 1.5 hrs away. I'm so tempted to go to college and become a vet and put an office here in town or somwhere close HAHAHA

Edit: and There hasn't been any new discharge at all, it had dried on him when he got hurt from Gum (what i assumed was he got angry at rio and told him to stop sitting in the food bowl lol) i haven't been able to clean off Rio's beak because he won't let me near him, I only handle if i have to absolutely move him, other than that I'm working to get his trust still

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Ok, looks like Gum may have bitten one of her nares.

I would call all your local vets then and ask if any see birds. One might.

OP
Shawchert

Shawchert

Jan 24, 2012
Upstate NY
Parrots
well he did see my poor little dwarf hamster.... She had gotten an infection sooo maybe he'll take a look at Rio come monday i shall find out *if i remember I can't even remember to get my own mri resceduled*

Most Reactions