New owner of a blue and gold macaw

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
Which one is your baby? They are both too cute.

OP
L

Lakermatt

May 15, 2015
Fresno, CA
Parrots
Baby Blue and Gold Macaw
don't know yet? I get the pic of the bunch. I think one is a tad larger than the other, but not by much. good question is what should I look for in picking?

OP
L

Lakermatt

May 15, 2015
Fresno, CA
Parrots
Baby Blue and Gold Macaw
I want to go handle them both, but will the parents treat them any different like cats and dogs will if they smell someone has messed with them?

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I want to go handle them both, but will the parents treat them any different like cats and dogs will if they smell someone has messed with them?

That's a myth. The parents may not allow you to handle them, but it has nothing to do with smell.

Cats and dogs don't care if you hold the babies either.

OP
L

Lakermatt

May 15, 2015
Fresno, CA
Parrots
Baby Blue and Gold Macaw
I was hoping it was a myth... i am going over there this weekend then and inyeracting with them. I know the parents go crazy when we open the side door of the box to take a peek though.... they spread their wings and squack like crazy letting us know "dont even think about it"

Mysterygirl

Apr 14, 2015
Nor Cal
Parrots
Edgar (Alexandrian), Piper (Indian Ringneck), Eridan (Indian Ringneck)
Hello and welcome to the forum! A wealth of information awaits you.

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
Let us know how your visit goes this weekend!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I was hoping it was a myth... i am going over there this weekend then and inyeracting with them. I know the parents go crazy when we open the side door of the box to take a peek though.... they spread their wings and squack like crazy letting us know "dont even think about it"

They know you're coming to kidnap their babies... and they are sounding the alarm. But they also know there's not much they can do about it. This is what happens every time they have babies. Remember, most breeder birds don't get handled much, if at all, so they are not "pet quality" tame...

If you were the dad what would you do?! Watch your fingers when pulling babies from the nest box!

Yeah, we don't like to think of it in those terms, but on some level... that's what's happening.

Take one of those babies from the nest, it's a sacred trust. You take on those parent bird's duties...

OP
L

Lakermatt

May 15, 2015
Fresno, CA
Parrots
Baby Blue and Gold Macaw
So I have an update... went over this afternoon, but didn't get to handle them. The breeder has been handling them everyday and taking them into the house for play time. they are on day 63 of life. I did notice that one is getting a little bigger than the other. one question I had was that when I did some growth rate study I noticed that at day 60ish, that the pictures on the web have them with a lot more feathers than my bird does... the breeder is saying that when he takes the bird from the parents that the feathers start to develop faster. is that true?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
So I have an update... went over this afternoon, but didn't get to handle them. The breeder has been handling them everyday and taking them into the house for play time. they are on day 63 of life. I did notice that one is getting a little bigger than the other. one question I had was that when I did some growth rate study I noticed that at day 60ish, that the pictures on the web have them with a lot more feathers than my bird does... the breeder is saying that when he takes the bird from the parents that the feathers start to develop faster. is that true?

Here is the photo you posted:

14435d1434061750-my-blue-gold-baby-20150611_121411.jpg

Yes, it’s perfectly normal for one baby to be a bit bigger/smaller than the sibling. My Niko was bigger than his brother, notably so. However, their feathers should be fully developed by now. It looks (to me) as if the parents could be plucking them?? No, it’s not true that the feathers develop at a different rate once they’ve been removed from the nest box.

Let me see if I can dig up a picture of Niko, when he was a baby.

OP
L

Lakermatt

May 15, 2015
Fresno, CA
Parrots
Baby Blue and Gold Macaw
thanks Wendy! can you tell me why they would be plucking them? Maybe too hot? WE live in Fresno, and right now it is 100 + degrees. they are housed outside and they are in a breeder box that seem very hot. What can I suggest to the breeder? I am worried now... now I want to take him home to where it is cool !!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I would suggest the breeder remove them both from the nest ASAP. It's not uncommon for big macs to pluck their chicks. Yes, high temps 'may' have something to do with it.

Is the breeder experienced in hand-rearing babies?

OP
L

Lakermatt

May 15, 2015
Fresno, CA
Parrots
Baby Blue and Gold Macaw
I am going to contact him today. This is really going to increase my wants to bring him/her home early. is hand rearing hard to do at the age these birds are at? I am thinking I might try to take on the task.... What would this intail at such age?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Please, if you do not have hand rearing experience, do NOT attempt to do this on your baby (or any other baby bird unless you were properly shown on how to do it).

Baby macs tend to have an enormous feeding response! Let me try and dig up a video to show you. (Still, do NOT attempt this at home)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhfGHiFZEEM"]Feeding my baby Blue & Gold Macaw Marley - YouTube[/ame]

OP
L

Lakermatt

May 15, 2015
Fresno, CA
Parrots
Baby Blue and Gold Macaw
justed talked with him. He is going to take out of the box today... wheewww. that makes me feel better. I don't know if it would cause more issues than just cosmetic, but it defiantely gives me peace of mind. I even offered to help with any formulas or foods for the birds just to make it easier for them...

June2012

Apr 12, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
Still on that mission, but looking for my mushy! <3
I am going to contact him today. This is really going to increase my wants to bring him/her home early. is hand rearing hard to do at the age these birds are at? I am thinking I might try to take on the task.... What would this intail at such age?

Hand feeding a parrot is much harder than many think! You can hurt the poor guy and injure him in the process. (If the breeder let's you if you offer, you should ditch him. GREAT breeders never let anyone without experience hand feed them on their own, unless they are an apprentice. Even so, they don't just let anyone come in and put a syringe to their babies' beaks!) You could, not trying to scare, kill the macaw.

EDIT:
thanks Wendy! can you tell me why they would be plucking them? Maybe too hot? WE live in Fresno, and right now it is 100 + degrees. they are housed outside and they are in a breeder box that seem very hot. What can I suggest to the breeder? I am worried now... now I want to take him home to where it is cool !!

I've also heard that the parents pluck their chicks when they just want to kick out their current clutch out and want a new one, whether they like it or not? I don't know the average of how long parents take care of their chicks, and maybe this clutch is taking longer than usual and the breeder is just waiting on it? Some breeders just let it happen because (from what I've read from other forums and research I've done) they know there isn't enough damage and when they become adults, it all grows out and seems normal. I don't know about the psychological influences it has on the chicks. Or, he pulled the chicks previously and now they expect it to happen. (more on the link below)

I really think the breeder should hand feed his future chicks himself, as once they do it, they're likely to continue... Or get another pair. Did he bring in just the chicks, or the parents as well? This thread has only one post about it, but I'm sure it could shed a very small light at least.

http://www.parrotforums.com/budgies...10866-mommy-plucking-baby-cockatiel-help.html

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
EDIT:
..... I don't know the average of how long parents take care of their chicks, and maybe this clutch is taking longer than usual and the breeder is just waiting on it? Some breeders just let it happen because (from what I've read from other forums and research I've done) they know there isn't enough damage and when they become adults, it all grows out and seems normal. I don't know about the psychological influences it has on the chicks. Or, he pulled the chicks previously and now they expect it to happen. (more on the link below)

I really think the breeder should hand feed his future chicks himself, as once they do it, they're likely to continue... Or get another pair. Did he bring in just the chicks, or the parents as well? This thread has only one post about it, but I'm sure it could shed a very small light at least.

http://www.parrotforums.com/budgies...10866-mommy-plucking-baby-cockatiel-help.html

Why would this breeder replace his breeding pair, when they are obviously producing AND feeding their chicks? It's not necessarily true that the pair will continue to pluck all their offspring, UNLESS they've consistently done this in the past. But even then I would never suggest getting another pair.

IF the pair is known to pluck their offspring, I'd simply suggest to pull the chicks once the feathers are coming in. Sure, humans can successfully raise chicks from day one (heck, we even incubate and hatch fertile eggs successfully), but why not let the parents do some of the work.

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird

This comment makes me think his pair plucks the babies... Since their feathers develop faster out of the box according to him.

I hope your breeder is capable and does a good job raising these
Little ones!

OP
L

Lakermatt

May 15, 2015
Fresno, CA
Parrots
Baby Blue and Gold Macaw
Hi all, i went over today to see how everything was going. He had both babies in a tub. He is keeping them inside for good now. He has introduced the harrisons organic pellets to them, and while i was there they were trying to eat them. I FINALLY got to touch them too!!! I.was very nervous touching them, cause they would open their beaks when i would put my hand close... but they never bit me. But i have to admit, it is intimidating.... thats something i will get better with as time progresses.

OP
L

Lakermatt

May 15, 2015
Fresno, CA
Parrots
Baby Blue and Gold Macaw
Forgot to add that he is feeding them formula as well. I believe 3 times daily.

Most Reactions

Latest posts