New owner of a blue and gold macaw

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
The two on my big playstand are either 4 x 8's or 6 by 8's... I forget. I've actually had those things for about 15 years now, and they're still ticking...

Sweepea claimed her spot on the big playstand THE NIGHT SHE CAME HOME from the breeders. With mine, it's pretty much immediate. Set them down on the thing. This is part of your new environment. Only bird that ever really freaked out about it was our neurotic, plucked chicken G2. Tried to give him a nice new cage, he wouldn't have it. Full on "Judge Whopner" (Rain Man) hissy fit... til that bird got the crappy old undersized thing back.

I had rescue macs that were cage bound, and the very first thing I did with them is left them cage free on the big playstand... THEIR EYES WOULD BUG OUT OF THEIR HEADS... Somewhere, I've got a "first taste of freedom" picture from a cage bound and plucking Foster mac... his eyes say everything. "I'm so happy I'm overwhelmed." Got another one of that bird on the outside playstand getting his first real misting in years... PURE BLISS!

Needless to say, that bird STOPPED biting immediately. (I'm adding "rocket scientist" to my resume...)

"OMG! That's amazing. What did you do?!"

I opened the cage door, gave the bird a couple of toys, some food, and a bath...

Now he's happy for the first time in years!

With a lot of these birds, it's really just that bad, and the birds get blamed for the neglect...

Oh, Wait.... Am I ranting again?!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
L

Lakermatt

May 15, 2015
Fresno, CA
Parrots
Baby Blue and Gold Macaw
Hi All, just wanted to share more pictures that I got today from the breeder. the feathers are REALLY starting to look better!! kind of late bloomers as for the mother/father plucking issue that was going on, but they are really starting to come to order now!! he is saying that they are eating on their own pretty good now, but still want the formula. they are coming up on 3 months next week. I AM DYING TO TAKE THE BIRD HOME ALREADY....

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Oh my, how they've changed! :D Look at all those feathers coming back already, that's so awesome!!

Is the breeder offering them plenty of varieties of fresh stuff, too? I see colorful pellets in the bowl, and even though any pellets are better than none at all, there are even better things for them to be nibbling on. ;)

OP
L

Lakermatt

May 15, 2015
Fresno, CA
Parrots
Baby Blue and Gold Macaw
that's a good question Wendy. I was going to ask him that... I was thinking of going over there this weekend with some groceries.. LOL. what do you think I should take out there? Whats super good and beneficial for a bird that age? I am a spoiler.

OP
L

Lakermatt

May 15, 2015
Fresno, CA
Parrots
Baby Blue and Gold Macaw
wow!! that is amazing. The list of good foods definitely is larger than the bad... that makes it easy when shopping. I have a 5 year old and a 3 year old that eat fruits like crazy, so that will be easy. the others will be a little more of a add on to our grocery list. but all attainable. I am going to make some stuff tonight and take it over in the morning. Hopefully I don't make him feel bad... but I just want them to strive right now!!

itsjoyceduh

Jun 9, 2015
California
Parrots
Bella the BFA
awesome!! thanks birdman! anyone have this cage? seems like the largest around that I have found so far..

I have a Double macaw cage looks kind of like that. ^_^ If you plan on getting another bird in the future the double macaw cage is perfect. It has a divider in the middle or if you jsut have one it will be a HUGE house for your parrot and he/she will lOOOOOVE it i know my macaw did

Solo

Feb 24, 2015
Wichita,KS
Parrots
Shamrock Macaw
awesome!! thanks birdman! anyone have this cage? seems like the largest around that I have found so far..

I have a Double macaw cage looks kind of like that. ^_^ If you plan on getting another bird in the future the double macaw cage is perfect. It has a divider in the middle or if you jsut have one it will be a HUGE house for your parrot and he/she will lOOOOOVE it i know my macaw did
I wouldn't recommend keeping 2 macaws in a double with a divider. Possibly a pair without the divider. But never 2 macs with the divider. It just doesn't offer enough room, or security should one reach through the bars.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013

I wouldn't recommend keeping 2 macaws in a double with a divider. Possibly a pair without the divider. But never 2 macs with the divider. It just doesn't offer enough room, or security should one reach through the bars.

I agree, it's not near big enough and an accident waiting to happen.

Most Reactions