New owner of a blue and gold macaw

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
Remember birds use their beaks to communicate.
So don't be intimidated by it because they will think something is wrong.
I don't think I could have a macaw for that reason. :) but my amazon uses her beak to steady herself when she is stepping up. I trust that she won't actually bite and (knock on wood) she hasn't yet.

June2012

Apr 12, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
Still on that mission, but looking for my mushy! <3
EDIT:
..... I don't know the average of how long parents take care of their chicks, and maybe this clutch is taking longer than usual and the breeder is just waiting on it? Some breeders just let it happen because (from what I've read from other forums and research I've done) they know there isn't enough damage and when they become adults, it all grows out and seems normal. I don't know about the psychological influences it has on the chicks. Or, he pulled the chicks previously and now they expect it to happen. (more on the link below)

I really think the breeder should hand feed his future chicks himself, as once they do it, they're likely to continue... Or get another pair. Did he bring in just the chicks, or the parents as well? This thread has only one post about it, but I'm sure it could shed a very small light at least.

http://www.parrotforums.com/budgies...10866-mommy-plucking-baby-cockatiel-help.html

Why would this breeder replace his breeding pair, when they are obviously producing AND feeding their chicks? It's not necessarily true that the pair will continue to pluck all their offspring, UNLESS they've consistently done this in the past. But even then I would never suggest getting another pair.

IF the pair is known to pluck their offspring, I'd simply suggest to pull the chicks once the feathers are coming in. Sure, humans can successfully raise chicks from day one (heck, we even incubate and hatch fertile eggs successfully), but why not let the parents do some of the work.

True, but he should get another pair if he doesn't know how to hand feed or is too lazy to do so. BUT your idea is much more logical, as one can always learn! ^^ But as a breeder, wouldn't he knew that at this age, the feathers should be coming in? I'm slightly confused...

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
I think the point is he does know and doesn't want to admit to buyers that his breeders pluck the babies. So he covers.
The op already stated the breeder pulled the babies and is hand feeding.

June2012

Apr 12, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
Still on that mission, but looking for my mushy! <3
I think the point is he does know and doesn't want to admit to buyers that his breeders pluck the babies. So he covers.

But if he already knew, why do it AFTER they've plucked their chicks? I'm sure he knew, at that age, their feathers should be coming in.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

But if he already knew, why do it AFTER they've plucked their chicks? I'm sure he knew, at that age, their feathers should be coming in.

Why not ask the OP for the breeder's number, that way you can ask him yourself. None of us here can speculate on WHY people do the things they do. :cool:

OP
L

Lakermatt

May 15, 2015
Fresno, CA
Parrots
Baby Blue and Gold Macaw
Good Morning all, Just got a picture from the breeder with the babies. he says they are progressing very nicely.

Last edited:
OP
L

Lakermatt

May 15, 2015
Fresno, CA
Parrots
Baby Blue and Gold Macaw
also, if you look at the picture he has introduced them to the harrisons pellets, and they are eating them. I would like to take the bird home by the end of the month. is that a bad idea? if they are eating solid food by now, shouldn't I be fine?

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
All I can say is make sure your baby is 100% weaned. Hand feeding a Mac is a real challenge and a lot can go wrong. There's no way to know for certain when it will be weaned. They all have their own schedules.

OP
L

Lakermatt

May 15, 2015
Fresno, CA
Parrots
Baby Blue and Gold Macaw
hi all, got some more pics from the breeder!! they look good! he says they are handling nice, eating well, and hanging around the house all day!! I am going to go handle them tomorrow on my lunch break.. cant wait!!

Last edited:

denaw

May 5, 2015
Willis, Texas
Parrots
"Had" DYH Amazon "Elvis"
Sure makes me want one NOW! I know I have to wait as we will probably live in a RV until our house is finished being built!
Just looking at the babies makes me Happy!
Dena

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
i am going to contact him today. This is really going to increase my wants to bring him/her home early. Is hand rearing hard to do at the age these birds are at? I am thinking i might try to take on the task.... What would this intail at such age?

more than you realize... Trust me, don't do it!!!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
All I can say is make sure your baby is 100% weaned. Hand feeding a Mac is a real challenge and a lot can go wrong. There's no way to know for certain when it will be weaned. They all have their own schedules.

AMEN to that one...

Sour crop/crop infections, perforations, crop burns, malnutrition, asphyxiation, aspiration... just a whole host of things that can go wrong.

and I've had a batch of burned crop babies, and several asphyxiation babies die in my arms... (They were brought to me AFTER the inexperienced hand feeder knew just enough to slowly kill them.)

So please... NO! HUGE ISSUE WITH ME...

OP
L

Lakermatt

May 15, 2015
Fresno, CA
Parrots
Baby Blue and Gold Macaw
thanks for the advice guys. I was worried for a minute when I seen that the feathers were plucked and not grown in like they should. they were also outside in the hot valley weather which I didn't like AT ALL. now that they are inside 100% of the time it gives me peace of mind they are ok. I didn't want to take on the task of the hand rearing, but I was going to learn if I was pressed to.... I have been doing tons of research while waiting, and have learned a lot so far. it border line has me scared!! I rather focus on the positives of owning one of these birds than hearing all the horror stories... I know they are messy, I know they can bite, I know they are loud, blah blah blah... I am destin to turn this into an enjoyable experience.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Every macaw I've ever owned has ended up being a lap bird...

And most of them didn't come to me as lap birds! THEY WERE THE OPPOSITE OF LAP BIRDS WHEN I GOT THEM...

The biggest thing with macs is people usually don't handle them or socialize them enough. A mac locked in a cage and not interacted with usually becomes an angry mac in short order...

These are one of the most interactive creatures on the face of the planet. They're amazing IF YOU DO THE WORK...

OP
L

Lakermatt

May 15, 2015
Fresno, CA
Parrots
Baby Blue and Gold Macaw
that is good to hear birdman... I am looking at your monster paly gym tutorial right now!! that thing is awesome... did the math, and it looks like 10 sticks of 1" PVC and some fittings and you have a bird paradise in your house. I called pacific fiber and got a quote for 1/2" with 10" holes cargo net for 80 bucks. you couldn't find anything online this cool for a fraction of that price! figure I would build this while he is young. What age do they start playing with play gyms and such?

OP
L

Lakermatt

May 15, 2015
Fresno, CA
Parrots
Baby Blue and Gold Macaw
the cargo net was quoted at 4' x 10'. forgot to mention that. probably overkill for that play gym. could go 4 x 7 to take up a whole side.

Solo

Feb 24, 2015
Wichita,KS
Parrots
Shamrock Macaw
1/2 inch is small in my opinion. I just splurged and purchased an 8X4 ft 1inch natural rope with 7 inch squares. Waiting for it to arrive. My girl swings through the 7 inch pvc squares on her playstand so I know that it will be big enough.

Most Reactions