New owner of a blue and gold macaw

Soaring

Jul 3, 2014
Houston, TX
Parrots
Emit - Blue Throated Macaw,

R.I.P. - Apollo - DYH Amazon
It took my Emit(BTM) almost 6 months to be completely weaned but that was with abundance weaning and a few set backs. Like his brother weaning faster and going home before him. But they each decide on their own when they're ready.
As far as to clip or not their flight feathers, I've ready that's it's beneficial for them physically and mentally especially when they first come home and when they're young. As long as you don't rush the harness on them, it should be a fairly easy process from my personal experience.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I think I am going to harness train. I want to take it places, as we like to do a lot of things outdoors. you always remember the guy with the parrot on his shoulder... right!! I have been you tubing various videos of macaws talking, and it is absolutely hilarious... I have even seen them count and do basic math!! its crazy.. I am soo darn excited about this.. I have a 10 year old great dane at home that might not be as excited though.. he is a big couch potato though.. no worries there.

They are goofy in so many ways when they have been properly socialized...

And my macaws actually like dogs, and have been socialized around them. (My family has dogs, so it's necessary.) They call them over, and throw food to them. Maggie will actually preen them, though all interaction is carefully supervised.

I've seen macaws that figure out the commands for the dogs tricks, and THE BIRD will tell the dog to sit, and to roll over, and will even drop food for them...

YEAH! THAT SMART!!!

OP
L

Lakermatt

May 15, 2015
Fresno, CA
Parrots
Baby Blue and Gold Macaw
Good Morning, I actually laughed out loud in my office at that last comment... that is hilarious!! I can actually see that happening! the dog begging for treats from the bird.... that is classic. I guess the possibilities are endless with these guys!! LOL

Solo

Feb 24, 2015
Wichita,KS
Parrots
Shamrock Macaw
Yup they are incredible. I've heard of many saying "here kitty kitty kitty". My mom is currently in the process of teaching mine Marco Polo..followed by a laugh...main reason for this?? My fiances name is Marko, and she thinks it will be hysterical!! At least its not the Andy Griffith theme song (which she taught my cockatiel)

OP
L

Lakermatt

May 15, 2015
Fresno, CA
Parrots
Baby Blue and Gold Macaw
so I have been looking for a cage online. I have seen a lot of cages on ebay that are around 68" to 70"... but the width and depth seem small. like 32" wide x 23-24" deep. I am thinking of getting one for temporary use, until I can save my bucks for what I really want and need. I like the Silverado cage I seen online for around 600 bucks. looks amazing for a big bird. what do you guys suggest to get me bye until then? it will only be in its cage while we are Away at work, and then it will be out for the rest of the day playing with the family.

OP
L

Lakermatt

May 15, 2015
Fresno, CA
Parrots
Baby Blue and Gold Macaw
awesome!! thanks birdman! anyone have this cage? seems like the largest around that I have found so far..

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
OP
L

Lakermatt

May 15, 2015
Fresno, CA
Parrots
Baby Blue and Gold Macaw
I found this one on my local craigslist. looks like a pretty decent cage. he said it cost him 1000 to have it built. 4ft x 3ft x 5ft inside. he wants 400 for it.

Last edited:

Solo

Feb 24, 2015
Wichita,KS
Parrots
Shamrock Macaw
$1000 seems a little low, even for having it built. Some things to consider in this case.

What type of material did they use
Powder coated or painted
If painted did they use bird safe paint
Is the hardware Stainless
Does it have any rust

OP
L

Lakermatt

May 15, 2015
Fresno, CA
Parrots
Baby Blue and Gold Macaw
It is powder coated green. He had 4 built he said for 5 grand... he has 2 macaws now, but they dont use them anymore. He says they just roam the house!! LOL. I am going to go look at it tomorrow. He only has 1 left out of 4. Might be a good option for me. Not a very pretty design, but the heavy dutiness might prevail over this one...

OP
L

Lakermatt

May 15, 2015
Fresno, CA
Parrots
Baby Blue and Gold Macaw
Hi Puck, I was unable to send you a reply to your message, due to I am only on post 14 of 20 needed to send you a message!! Weird. I would love to buy your cage, but my finances are just not there right now to pull it off. I am going to have to get something cheaper to get me bye until I can save a few bucks and get something nice like your cage...

OP
L

Lakermatt

May 15, 2015
Fresno, CA
Parrots
Baby Blue and Gold Macaw
Hi All, Just wanted to show a progress pic of my new bird. this is day 46 of life! I am thinking of taking the bird around fathers day time... what do you guys suggest? that would be day 73. is that still too early? what do you guys feed your birds at that stage of life? I will take consideration on what the breeder is feeding, but do you guy suggest a certain type/better type formula for these types of birds? and feeding schedules?

Last edited:

Solo

Feb 24, 2015
Wichita,KS
Parrots
Shamrock Macaw
http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Prevue...tra-Large-Bird-Cage-Black-Hammertone/39577518

This is also a Prevue brand cage, larger than the Silverado. I have seen them in person and they are HUGE. Wire gauge is a bit thin, but for a large starter cage its not bad. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable bringing a baby that's less than 4-5 months old home. Each bird is different, and fledging + emotional/intellectual development can't be forced within a certain time period. Mac are very impressionable to begin with, but this stage in their development is crucial! If you're going through a good breeder, then they will keep the bird until it is ready to venture to its new home. Congrats on your new baby. Im sure you are over the moon excited, but s/he will be with you soon enough.[emoji4]

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
Congratulations on your new baby! Please continue to post updates and photos.

OP
L

Lakermatt

May 15, 2015
Fresno, CA
Parrots
Baby Blue and Gold Macaw
Hi All, I wanted to show some progress pics that I got yesterday from the breeder. this is day 57 of life... he stated that they are starting to leave the breeder box to explore a bit. I am excited!! I am ready for him/her to come home already... let me know what you think!

Last edited:

Most Reactions