Parrots
Pickles YCA
Kiwi OWA
Basil YCA
Pudgie & lemon cockatiels
Abbie & Finch zebra finches
8 budgies
Luna & Lucy RES
Mine only makes crying sounds when she's hungry otherwise she isn't very vocal. However she certainly lets me know when she wants food. What are you feeding your little one? I use moist egg food which I mix with hot water and once it's a a safe temp for her as to not cause burns but still quite warm, I feed her using a soup spoon from a take out shop as its nicely curved. Congratulations on your little one, its a very rewarding experience. If there's anything I can help with please let me know. Have a pleasant afternoon.

prsgirl77

Jul 5, 2013
Parrots
Pickles YCA
Kiwi OWA
Basil YCA
8 budgies
Luna & Lucy RES
Do you have a picture of your baby amazon? My orange Winged amazon kiwi is about the same age as your little one.

prsgirl77

Jul 5, 2013
Parrots
Pickles YCA
Kiwi OWA
Basil YCA
8 budgies
Luna & Lucy RES
Here's my little kiwi :green:

Last edited:
OP
I

iSancho

Jul 3, 2013
It's on formula, Kaytee Exact. How many times are you feeding yours? I just started weighing and recording everything today. The shop told me it eats 3 x a day but it didn't cry for food. I'm watching it to see if I can feed it 2 x a day because when I fed it, it only ate 1/2 of what it's supposed to eat. The BF is for my brother out of town. I'm going to watch it for a couple of weeks before I bring it to him. So that is why I haven't named it. Also since it is not mine I don't want to get too attached. It's quite a brave little one already. It leaps at me when it wants to get close.

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 244

Grinder

Jan 26, 2013
East Coast, U.S.
Parrots
Military Macaw - 'Lady",
GW Macaw - "Jazzy"
I'm no breeder, but I don't think 2 times a day is enough. That's one of the reasons someone who has never weaned a baby should not take on the task without someone walking you every step of the way. It's a baby parrot's life in your hands. Most breeders will not sell an unweaned parrot to someone without experience. There are a lot of breeders on here that can give you some great advice. Definitely ask someone EXTREMELY knowledgeable before you cut down on the feeding of your baby.

OP
I

iSancho

Jul 3, 2013
Well it's not crying for food. Doesn't make a peep. It does whine after i feed it 9 ml & doesn't seem to want more food. Feels like I'm forcing it to eat.

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
I would suggest pm'ing henpecked, he is the resident amazon expert! If he doesn't jump on here soon!

prsgirl77

Jul 5, 2013
Parrots
Pickles YCA
Kiwi OWA
Basil YCA
8 budgies
Luna & Lucy RES
Good evening All :)
iShancho- thats a beautiful baby you ve got there, I m sure you love her to bits :) I feed my kiwi 3-4 times a day, I ve tried to establish a schedule with her ( we have breakfast at 6:30am which consists of me handfeeding her with a spoon she usually has three spoonfulls of moist eggfood mix with a bit of hotwater mixed so that it resembles porridge and I keep the feeding bowl in a metal bowl containing hot water so that her food is kept at the appropriate temp, she eats most ot the food sometimes all of it, then we have playtime till 8:30 or 9am, she goes back to her cage for a nap and then around 2pm we have lunch and half an hour of play then around 4pm we play till 6pm when she has dinner and returns to her cage for the night at around 6:30pm and she sleeps through the night till we meet in the morning. although its only been 4 days I ve noticed if I am a bit late she gets vocal and lets me know she wants my attention, she really only gets vocal about feeding time if I m a bit late, otherwise shes playful and quiet, often purring softly as me cuddle and play.

JerseyWendy- Thank you for your kind remark on my little kiwi's picture, it was taken two days ago :) shes my little sweetheart :)

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Back to the OP and the baby not crying to be fed. Sometimes you'll have babies that don't cry for food.Especially babies separated from their siblings. usually it because they never completely void their crop of food. Competition between babies can be a good thing. You should be trying to stimulate them into begging before feeding them. During the night their crop should completely empty. It could be yeast infection that builds up. It could be crop impaction from undigested food. And it could be from feeding too thick of formula,too cool, too often. The begging,crying is a normal response and i suspect there's sometime wrong. Your 4wk old zon should be eating more than 9 mils @3 times per day. What weight data do you have? Is there a trend?

Last edited:

prsgirl77

Jul 5, 2013
Parrots
Pickles YCA
Kiwi OWA
Basil YCA
8 budgies
Luna & Lucy RES
Oh dear I hope your baby BF is alright. Dont worry you can do it :)

OP
I

iSancho

Jul 3, 2013
Hi HenPecked,
Thanks for the response. The 6 weeks BF's weight was 325g this morning. And it wanted my attention after it saw me feed my 15 week DYH so that made me feel a little better that it does know. It may be new surroundings. Anyways at 6 weeks and weighing 325g shouldn't it be eating more than 9ml? Shouldn't it be eating 8-10% of its weight at each feeding? It does eat cooked vegetables after the feeding. The cropped seems to be empty in the morning but I thought there should be more but I figure it's less because it eats at lot less than the 15 week one. Would I be able to tell from the poop that there's a yeast infection?

My DYH should be on 1 feeding a day by now but I guess it's just not ready. He eats his pellets before and after the 2 x a day feeding and eats vegetables in between as well. He doesn't have a problem eating, he just eats all day. He lets me know when he's ready for his formula too (in the morning and at night). That's why I was concerned about the little one not crying because the DYH surely lets me know. I haven't reduced the amount I feed the DYH in the morning because he cries for it so much. I'm weighing him now and recording everything to see if I can reduce the amount I feed him with formula in the morning. Thanks.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Sancho, YES, your BF baby "should" take between 30-40ml of food at each feeding.

And no, you can't tell by the droppings whether your baby has a yeast infection.

OP
I

iSancho

Jul 3, 2013
Oh sorry. I misread the post. The BF ate a little better today. Just to be on the safe side I'm going to take her to the vet. Thanks!

Most Reactions

Latest posts