Cinnamon Conure doesn't want to go back into her cage!

Jul 20, 2022
Hey guys :)

Papaya, my cinnamon green cheek conure doesn't like going back into her cage after she is let out. I have tried so many different methods such as coaxing her onto a stick, turning off the light and shining a torch inside the cage, and putting her favourite treats inside but she just will not budge. I just got her two days ago and she is completely untamed and doesn't know basic tricks like targeting or stepping up. She also bites whenever I try and train her to step up and only hangs out at the top of the cage when she is let out. I am questioning whether or not I should let her out of the cage before I have target trained her.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 1, 2022
Media
Previous-Sydney, Australia current-Utah, USA
Parrots
Senegal parrot(male)Percival
Green budgie(male) Buckbeak
Clear wing budgie(female) Rowena
I had the exact same problem with my Senegal when I first got him! In fact one night at 3am I got so desperate I scared him with a stick so he flew to the ground then allowed me to take him into his cage, after that I tried not letting him out of his cage until a had a kinda relationship with him. try talking to her and giving her treats through the bars of cage, and if possible even try target training with her in the cage, and if you are worried about letting her out give her a little less food at breakfast so she’s more motivated, you can also give some fun toys in her cage so it’s a fun place to be. Good luck hope this helped!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I would start out by giving her treats through the cage bars and talking kindly to her so she learns that you are a nice person. Chasing her around to put her back in the cage is causing her to trust you less.

If you ever have to chase a bird to pick it up, scooping the bird up in a towel gently is a good way. So your hands don’t become a scary sight to your bird. She can be mad at the towel and not you. BUT I would try to make friends with her first so she wants to come to you, even if just for a treat at first.

OP
dancing_conure
Jul 20, 2022
I had the exact same problem with my Senegal when I first got him! In fact one night at 3am I got so desperate I scared him with a stick so he flew to the ground then allowed me to take him into his cage, after that I tried not letting him out of his cage until a had a kinda relationship with him. try talking to her and giving her treats through the bars of cage, and if possible even try target training with her in the cage, and if you are worried about letting her out give her a little less food at breakfast so she’s more motivated, you can also give some fun toys in her cage so it’s a fun place to be. Good luck hope this helped!
I would start out by giving her treats through the cage bars and talking kindly to her so she learns that you are a nice person. Chasing her around to put her back in the cage is causing her to trust you less.

If you ever have to chase a bird to pick it up, scooping the bird up in a towel gently is a good way. So your hands don’t become a scary sight to your bird. She can be mad at the towel and not you. BUT I would try to make friends with her first so she wants to come to you, even if just for a treat at first.
Thank you guys so much! This is a late update but she's super hand tame now and she's my best friend <3 She now knows tricks like step up, spin, dance, play dead, wave and shake hands! Thank you again for your kind advice :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts