Could my Sun be pied? Also, question about odd tail feathers.

Woodlyn

Jul 16, 2013
Parrots
Lenore and Leo, Sun Conures
I know very little about my Sun, Leo, except for that I bought him from a man who inherited him from his grandfather, who was the original owner and a breeder. Leo's said to be about five years old. He is banded, but the man I bought him from didn't have his disease testing or DNA sexing certificates.

Anyway, that bit of history aside, I've wondered if Leo is pied - he looks to be, but he also has a lot of green in with his flight and tail feathers. His flight feathers are clipped so I don't have any pictures of them, but they had the same thing going on as his tail does - both blue and yellow flight feathers mixed together, with some whitish-yellow tips.
DSC00749_zpsd1cf74e8.jpg

I have also been wondering about his tail feathers. They are constantly splayed out as shown in the picture - they never come together. They seem to be healthy, however, a couple weeks after he came home with us there was blood at the base of his tail, on the top of the other feathers. He's been with us for six months now and there hasn't been any further sign of plucking, but could that have potentially caused this in the first place? There have been a few new tail feathers molted and grown in since he's been here and they all grow in this way. What else could cause the tail feathers to permanently be this way?

Thanks to anyone who has some insight to share.

Jana

Most Reactions