Dirty Laundry!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I've been out-of-pocket a bit, but I'm catching up.

I am very moved by all of your posts... the modding, the inquiries, the concerns, the private messages I've received. Thank you, everybody.
Based on my previous time as a Mod, I can attest to the study/analysis/behind-the-scenes coaching/advising, even warnings, fresh starts, second chances...
Since I had to step down, I have not been in the mod-loop, and that is only appropriate, of course.

I don't presume to have any summary or conclusions, except this.

I love how we are talking, sharing, growing. This really is the best parrot community online. And we will emerge stronger and, as always, determined to help birds.

xo

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
Thank you Allee. I have been offline for a week and am just catching up. With all due respect to every responder within this thread, I feel that I must present MHO as a person having joined only one month ago…

My observations (deductions from comments within this thread ) lead me to believe:
a) that the person banned may have been titled ‘senior member’ and this is a very critical piece;
b) secondly, this person appears to be in my time zone where currently (from other threads read) we are lacking a moderator on duty most of the time whilst NA sleeps.

Potential problems averted:

a) If the banned member was a ‘senior member’ then I would have made the assumption that the person had ‘qualities/characteristics, information, and communication skills’ reflecting the title. In other words, she (inferred from threads within) would have earned the title and thus my respect. Any poor communiques from her would have ‘reflected’ upon parrotforum for me. Potential problem averted — I would have left immediately. Actual Outcome: I am still a part of this wonderful community and Ellie and I intend to stay. Unless I get banned of course (a little light humour if you permit).

b)If the banned member had responded in any way ‘nasty or overly critical’ (as the first responder due to time zone without moderator on duty) then I would have been emotionally devastated. Again, I would have probably left to find another forum in order to obtain appropriate advice without judgment. Problem averted — Ellie could still be laying eggs or dead from calcium depletion or being egg-bound. Actual Outcome: Ellie is alive and well, not laying eggs, and she lives in a safer environment with safer toys. Ellie also loves her new playhouse (cage).

We never had a parrot before Ellie flew in and adopted us. We did our best to get information on the internet (we are 2-3 days away from a CAV). We have no persons to advise us on a parrot let alone an Eclectus! We were doing our best but definitely had severe gaps in our learning.

I just reread my original entry under ‘new members’ and thought — how could I have been so dense! That was only 4 weeks ago. We have learned a great deal from the beautiful people within this community and will continue to learn for a long time henceforth. What a steep learning curve!

Thank you Moderators for making this community a great family for Ellie and me. I KNOW that you do what you do ‘lovingly’ and ‘respectfully’. I have the utmost respect for your decisions.

With greatest sincerity,
Debbie

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Thank you Allee. I have been offline for a week and am just catching up. With all due respect to every responder within this thread, I feel that I must present MHO as a person having joined only one month ago…

My observations (deductions from comments within this thread ) lead me to believe:
a) that the person banned may have been titled ‘senior member’ and this is a very critical piece;
b) secondly, this person appears to be in my time zone where currently (from other threads read) we are lacking a moderator on duty most of the time whilst NA sleeps.

Potential problems averted:

a) If the banned member was a ‘senior member’ then I would have made the assumption that the person had ‘qualities/characteristics, information, and communication skills’ reflecting the title. In other words, she (inferred from threads within) would have earned the title and thus my respect. Any poor communiques from her would have ‘reflected’ upon parrotforum for me. Potential problem averted – I would have left immediately. Actual Outcome: I am still a part of this wonderful community and Ellie and I intend to stay. Unless I get banned of course (a little light humour if you permit).

b)If the banned member had responded in any way ‘nasty or overly critical’ (as the first responder due to time zone without moderator on duty) then I would have been emotionally devastated. Again, I would have probably left to find another forum in order to obtain appropriate advice without judgment. Problem averted – Ellie could still be laying eggs or dead from calcium depletion or being egg-bound. Actual Outcome: Ellie is alive and well, not laying eggs, and she lives in a safer environment with safer toys. Ellie also loves her new playhouse (cage).

We never had a parrot before Ellie flew in and adopted us. We did our best to get information on the internet (we are 2-3 days away from a CAV). We have no persons to advise us on a parrot let alone an Eclectus! We were doing our best but definitely had severe gaps in our learning.

I just reread my original entry under ‘new members’ and thought – how could I have been so dense! That was only 4 weeks ago. We have learned a great deal from the beautiful people within this community and will continue to learn for a long time henceforth. What a steep learning curve!

Thank you Moderators for making this community a great family for Ellie and me. I KNOW that you do what you do ‘lovingly’ and ‘respectfully’. I have the utmost respect for your decisions.

With greatest sincerity,
Debbie

Thank you for posting this, Debbie. It's really nice to get a newer member's thoughts as well. This is a great explanation of what can and does happen.

On a side note, if anyone ever feels that someone's post crosses the line, please bring it to a Mod's attention. While we may not always agree that it crossed a line, we can explain how we came to our decision. If we find it did go too far, the post will be edited or removed. We truly appreciate all the people who report things that we may have missed.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts