Domnijoe - The Art Studio and Bird Herder's Residence

Another Yvons story! Yvons got a new wooden toy that's easier for him to rip into, and I asked him, 'you having fun?'. He whistled and bobbed his head. I gave him the thumbs up and told him, 'Awesome!'. He then proceeded to finish demolishing his toy.

It was just so well timed. They are smart little boogers, LOL!
 
That's among the interesting and scary things about most parrots especially CAG's. I've read the Alex research and other studies. I know Nameliss was upset with me tube feeding her. Every time I finished.."sorry you are". It doesn't surprise me at all that Yvon gave his approval.
 
An update on Vortex's perch training: She's slowly getting used to being moved from one happy spot (her cage) to another (The play cage) with minimal fuss. I have to use a rope perch; otherwise, she freaks out if I use a wood one. I give her a ton of praise and a peanut. Gods... what is it with my birds and peanuts?
 
I've wondered about that to. Nameliss does a birdie version of looking down her beak at them. She's never cared for them much. I've wondered if it is because I don't care for them. In this order her loves; roasted unsalted pistachios in shell, pecans slightly cracked shell, walnuts pieces, almonds in the shell or powder, hazel nuts, and last Brazil nuts. If given sunflower seeds she looks around for the real treat. She's a CAG version of a blood hound for pistachios. I am really glad she's not a macaw. Looking at those big powerful beaks it's doubtful my chest freezer would've held up this long.
 
I just had a horrid experience with Pulsar. They started seizing violently, fell from their perch, and died in my hands. I had them for 3 months, if that. RIP Pulsar.

That's two babies I've lost in under 6 months. WTF???
 
Boy, the Bird Distribution System (BDS) works fast! As soon as Pulsar's death notice goes out, I find someone willing to give up their elderly cockatiels. I know I'm moving faster than I should, but this lady is reeeeeeaaaaly needing an experienced bird herder for her girls, and I just lost Pulsar... I'll find out tomorrow (Possibly) if I'm accepted as an adopter. I asked a bunch of questions about the girls, so I'll have a better idea of what to expect when they get back to me.
 
Played Birdy Tetris today. Quasar got new toys and a new place in the play cage, making the old cage he was in a spare/play cage. Disinfected some bowls and toys, and plan on putting a flat perch in Yvons' cage once I find my good oval one. I plan on getting a steam cleaner to make cleaning cages easier. I knew African Greys produced big poop, but there's so MUCH of it, LOL. There's only so much my little paint scraper can remove!

And Charlie and Redshift are still ticking. Charlie is having a harder time perching, even compared to a week ago, so I'm going to place the freshly cleaned, flat perches in their cage.
 
I’m so very sorry for your loss of Pulsar 😢. That’s so sad.
 
Update on the cockatiels I'm interested in adopting. Their current owner gave me a HUGE list of what they like and don't like. Everything from nails to music is on the no-no list. She wants to visit, and she even wanted pix of my place. Feels like I'm adopting from a rescue rather than a family, but hey. I like that they're being picky! The two hens are 15 years old and crotchety. One likes to scream and is a total snot with separation anxiety. As I'm in the bird room almost 99% of the time, that's not a problem.

Will update when I hear more about the birds, Zippy and Cinder. :)
 
So the lady with the cockatiels comes over on Friday to meet my brats. We're working on meeting her birds. Just need to schedule it.
 
Well, we're gonna see how Zesty and Cinder, the cockatiels I want to adopt, settle into my home. We're giving it until next Friday. Apparently, Cinder is a bully and had a rat bite off one of her feet (poor girl!). Zesty is quite elderly and is prone to eye infections. At the youngest, she's 15, but she may be older! I'm willing to deal with these issues. They are such lovely girls!

Here's Cinder:

IMG_2964.webp


And here's Zesty :D.

IMG_2961.webp
 
What do the other ones think? Or are they contemplating?
 
What do the other ones think? Or are they contemplating?
Redshift is VERY interested in the new ones. The others will chirp when they chirp. Yvons doesn't seem to care one way or another. Vortex knows they're there but won't care about them until someone sits on her cage, LOL. My biggest problem is the dog, as she keeps wanting to nip at Zippy's feathers. Good thing I have a spray bottle! Winter is better after the birds have been here a while.
 
Good. I was wondering.
 
I played Switcharoo with Vortex and the new cockatiel girls. The girls got Vortex's old cage, and Vortex got the girls' cage. It's less work for me now, as the girls are protected and Vortex seems content being in her new space beside the computer. I even replaced some of the old perches in the cages, and now everyone is settled.

And more new bird pics:

Cinder:

IMG_2969 2.webp


And Zesty:

IMG_2967 2.webp
 
Is everyone getting along? Especially with the cage swi6?
 
Sorry fumble thumbs, bus moved, switch?
 
Sorry fumble thumbs, bus moved, switch?
LOL! NP!

Everyone is getting along! Well, from a distance anyways :) . I moved the two cockatiels and Vortex, so the single birds are closer to me. They seem to be happy. Yvons is... uncertain, but hasn't complained wildly.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom