Foot rings

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I'm hesitant to get foot rings for my birds but I know how easily accidents can happen and they can get away.

I once saw a pigeon eating the scraps from below my mums bird cage. It had a foot ring with a phone number on it so I was able to grab the bird and call its owner who was so happy that we found it.

So what is your opinion on foot rings?
Are they worth it?
Can it be a hazard?
Which type is best?
Your thoughts would be much appreciated

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Yes, they can be a good precaution, but don't expect many people to pay any attention to them if they're not bird people.
Are they worth it?
Maybe. I know that's not helpful, but it should be a decision you make based off your individual situation, and since I do not know your situation or your birds I can't really give you advice on weather it's right.
Can it be a hazard?
Yes, they can get caught on things and hurt your bird if they aren't the correct size, aren't closed properly, or have sharp edges.
Which type is best?
Any metal ring which doesn't have chipping paint or chemicals and fits your bird. I would not recommend plastic rings, as birds can chew them off.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Usually leg rings are put on chicks by breeders when they are pretty young. Those are closed rings and are the safer of the two types. Split rings can be put on adult birds but of course they are split. And birds being birds with enough play eventually something can get stuck in that split. Salty had a split ring and yeah, he got it caught on some threads from a toy one time, so we had it removed by his vet.

People seem to put a lot of stock into rings put on by breeders, like the letters and numbers mean something, like a national registry or something but, sorry, they are only meaningful to the actual breeder.

A microchip is a much surer way of identifying your parrot.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
A microchip is a much surer way of identifying your parrot.
In most cases, yes, however you can't microchip anything smaller than a small conure to my knowledge. Also it is not guaranteed someone who finds your bird will go to a vet with a scanner which can read the microchip. What I'm trying to say is, nothing guarantees that you'll find your bird or get it back if it gets lost. Although bands and microchips may help, it is also important to post on social media, put up posters, alert shelters in your area, etc. if you lose your bird.

Edit: I am just adding on to wrench's post, pretty sure he knows all this.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I personally had Ona’s leg band removed because the safety hazards of them worry me too much. I’ve seen so many stories of a parrot getting a toe stuck in one or getting it hung on a toy. Not worth the risk to me.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Exactly what happened to Salty. 2 or 3 thread loops had come a little loose on one of the braidied cotton boings and they slipped in the cut part of the ring , to be trapped onto his leg. Thank the Sky Chief I was around that day and could handle a frantic Salty to cut the threads. Had his ring removed shortly after that!

OP
Free as a bird

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Thanks for sharing your thoughts guys.
I think I'll give the rings a miss I'm too worried about the same thing happening to my birds as it did with Wrenches Salty.
Also I have no idea how to fit them, I'm guessing you need special pliers or something and I'd be worried about pinching my birds foot/leg.
I need to be careful but even though I have two doorways I had a bird escape once when I had 3 doorways

Most Reactions

Latest posts