Help! My parrot is crying!??

conah87

Apr 27, 2014
I need advice! I have a six month old indian ringneck who is a male,we also have a female who is a 2-3 months older and the more dominant of the two. After sitting inside for a few hours tonight with me, our little boy started making a soft but high pitched crying noises. Continuously. And grinding his beak together and pinning his eyes at the same time. He'd been fed and had been played with immediately before but now his whole demeanor has changed and he's just been sitting on my chest sulking or something. The female IRN does harass him sometimes and just before he started acting strange she was acting threatening to him but kind of from afar as I placed myself in between them to prevent a fight. They do get jealous of each other as he has bonded to me so he is always around me where as she prefers to do her own thing.
Could it be sadness/jealousy/stress or is he potentially sick?
I managed to get him to eat a decent amount of corn so i dont think he's in pain but if he hasnt improved by the morning we're taking him to the vet.

:whiteblue: :( :confused:

LoryLover

Jan 1, 2013
Southern California
Parrots
Chattering Lory, 18yrs old (Sweet Pea)
Maybe he's gone back into the baby, begging mode. Does he still cry when you put him back in his cage and you move out of the room so he can't see you?

When my chattering lory was a baby, she cried only when she was with us or could see us. She kept up the crying bit just past the 6 month old mark.

sabrecat666

Jul 20, 2011
Parrots
Guido - Jenday Conure, Nunzio - GCC and Kiwi - IRN
Kiwi did the same thing when he was very young. I was frantic and called the person I bought the bird from. She talked me down from the ceiling and told me that Kiwi was just very happy and "talking" to me as best as he could at such a young age. He did outgrow that phase though once he learned a larger vocabulary of whistles and other noises.

As for beak grinding and eye pinning, the grinding is usually a sign of a very contented bird, and my IRN will pin his eyes for a variety of reasons. It can be that he's mad, or more often actually, he's concentrating really hard on either trying to hear something or mimicking something.

Most Reactions