shohagysaima

Aug 14, 2021
Parrots
Nico- 1 1/2 Y/O (F) Green Cheek Conure
Moina- 2 Y/O (M)Green Cheek Conure
1 baby hatchling
Hi guys, my green cheek Conure layed and hatched some eggs the first week of August this year and one of the babies seems to be lying on itā€™s back all the time. Is this normal? The mother is feeding the baby whenever and the abdomen is bigger than the crop. Is this normal too? Iā€™ve been my parent conures for a few months now, almost a year and this is the first time theyā€™re breeding. The mother sits on the baby to keep it warm all day and night and her diet consists of a mix of pellets, seeds, veggies, eggs, and sometimes fruits. The weather is in the 80ā€™s/90ā€™s (F) here and I have a nesting box with nesting material safe for the birds too.

My female conure originally laid 4 eggs, the first one broke, the second one wasnā€™t fertilized, and the last 2 have hatched. The 4th eggā€™s baby hatched and passed away a little over a week old because I believe the mother didnā€™t feed it enough or she didnā€™t keep the baby under her long enough to keep it warm

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
Baby Green cheeks have a habit of lying on their backs at times I've noticed before, usually while parents are feeding. All you have to do is flip them over but generally they normally sort themselves out. Is it a swollen belly or just a normal pot belly? Photos?

OP
shohagysaima

shohagysaima

Aug 14, 2021
Parrots
1 baby hatchling
Baby Green cheeks have a habit of lying on their backs at times I've noticed before, usually while parents are feeding. All you have to do is flip them over but generally they normally sort themselves out. Is it a swollen belly or just a normal pot belly? Photos?
Thanks for replying :) so Iā€™m assuming itā€™s normal since the baby is still eating and stuff by the parents. Here are some pictures of what I mean. I helped flip the baby over a few days but then the baby would stand and then fall again on its back and just lie there then just move itā€™s arms and legs trying to get up the whole time like itā€™s struggling. I have a camera in the nesting box so here are 2 pictures.
76F0B478-DA4C-40EE-9ABC-94B39E05A637.png
D96738E1-AB9D-4C24-B201-73939ACCD3F9.png

OP
shohagysaima

shohagysaima

Aug 14, 2021
Parrots
1 baby hatchling
Hi guys, so I have been checking on the baby more, it is now able to turn on its stomach and is able to attempt to walk around so I am not as worried anymore.

Another question though, should I use coconut fiber or corn cob bedding? I had corn cob for over a month and have been cleaning it. The birds seem okay and do not try to chew or eat the corn cob. Should I still switch over? How much should I use for the nest because my conures like to make space for contact with the ground of the nesting box.

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
Excellent news to hear, they're pretty resilient little birds! I got the same scare too when I started breeding them years ago, opened the box and my heart dropped when a baby was on its back. Touched it and it flipped over back to normal. My conures are back on 6 or 7 eggs at the moment, they double clutch every year (bred 9 last year from 1 pair)

I've never used either of those nesting materials, I either use wood shavings, or, my favourite with is dried organic sugar cane mulch. You could do a mix with half and half, but if the corn cob bedding is working well I wouldn't worry too much about switching over. I usually put about an inch of bedding across the bottom, conures generally then flick around the material until it suits them

Most Reactions

Latest posts