How much vitamins do amazons need?

Sammy01

Aug 30, 2013
Parrots
Milo: White Fronted Amazon
Sex: Male
approx hatch date: May 2013
I know they need their vitamins and calcium, but I'm actually curious to know how much do they need on a daily basis.

For example:
Humans above the age of 14 need 700-900 mcg per day. How much would a companion need?

I'm looking to know for as many vitamins as possible and even the amount for calcium.

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
I would think a good diet including pellets, vegetables and small amounts of fruit should be all you need. I wouldn't add vitamins unless blood work showed a deficiency and vet recommends

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
My vet told me to never give my birds(or any parrot) vitamin supplements unless she specifically said to. As long as they are on a good quality pellet(mine are on Harrison's), and getting fresh food, as well of sunlight, or UV light, they should be fine.

I'm interested to see what other people have to say, I don't know much about amazons.

OP
S

Sammy01

Aug 30, 2013
Parrots
Milo: White Fronted Amazon
Sex: Male
approx hatch date: May 2013
I'm not thinking of adding vitamin supplements. I'm just curious of how much they need. :)

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I know what you mean, and I have yet to come across some sort of RDA for parrots. (Not that I've really been looking). I would love to see some sort of graph. There should be a parrot food pyramid, tailor made for each breed. Maybe there is and I haven't seen it yet. Or most likely, they really don't know :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts