I am new here.. getting a Bourke's Parakeet soon

KriStellar26

Feb 7, 2013
Hi... I have put a deposit down on a Rosey Bourke's parakeet. It should be ready in about 2-3 weeks. I already have two cockatiels, a green cheek conure, black capped conure and quaker. Yet I feel like I know NOTHING about the Bourke's. Any one here own one that can give me any pointers? I read online that they NEED to be able to fly within their cage, for their well being. That they also do better NOT being the only bird in the cage. Is this true? I have two tiels, should they get along well together? As much as I'd LOVE to get a second, I think 6 birds is a good amount. Basically any advice/tips other owners can offer will be VERY appreciated!! I feel like these guys are pretty rare and hard to find. Therefore finding other owners is tough too..

Thanks again everyone!

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
Hi there- welcome to the forum.
A Rosey Bourke was one of my first birds we owned, and I have owned plenty,lol.
They are a shy, quiet bird, but make up for it with their sheer beauty. They make cute little cooing noises in the morning and at night time. They belong to the grass parakeet family, and are a little bigger than a regular budgie.
they will step up, and may enjoy riding on your hand or shoulder, but normally don't like to be patted, like you would a parrot.

Housing them with your cockatiels shouldn't be a problem,(remember to quarantine) I did, and it worked out perfectly. they all got along well, though it's recommended to supervise the first couple of days just to make sure everybody accepts one another.
They should be in a flight cage, if they don't have sufficient free flight time.
They are not really a 'toy' kind of bird, you could see if it's interested in any of the toys in the cockatiel cage and see what he likes.

they typically eat budgie/cockatiel seed, along with fruits/veggies/leafy greens etc...

I own a Kakariki, which are basically in the same family, and he LOVES Timothy hay on the bottom of his cage. It entertains him for hours through out the day....my cockatiels also love it as well.

Your going to love your bird, do you know if he is hand tamed??

OP
K

KriStellar26

Feb 7, 2013
Thanks for all the info!! I am so excited! Yes (s)he is hand tamed, still being hand fed. I have a couple weeks before I take him/her home. I went to visit and put down the deposit yesterday. I got some handling time. So mellow and just sat there. So sweet. This one let me pet them, but it will likely change when fully grown. I am thinking about upgrading my flight cage that my tiels currently live in so that when he is ready (after quarantine) I will introduce them and see what happens. They currently live in the top of a double flight. Its good for the two of them, but I would feel better if they had more space.
I can't wait to pick him/her up!! :)

Here is a video of my visit last night:
[FONT=&quot][ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6GVQnKl9Ag]My new rosey bourke's parakeet - YouTube[/ame][/FONT]

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Thank you for making me drool all over my computer keyboard and welcome to the forum. I think they are so beautiful. I found a lot of information while researching birds by typing in Information on Rosey bourke parakeets as pets and also by looking at breeder websites. They have been on my want list for a long time, and from what I understand ,handfed, handtamed bourkes make great pets. Can't wait for you to get the bird home. Have you thought of a name yet?:)

OP
K

KriStellar26

Feb 7, 2013
Thank you for making me drool all over my computer keyboard and welcome to the forum. I think they are so beautiful. I found a lot of information while researching birds by typing in Information on Rosey bourke parakeets as pets and also by looking at breeder websites. They have been on my want list for a long time, and from what I understand ,handfed, handtamed bourkes make great pets. Can't wait for you to get the bird home. Have you thought of a name yet?:)

No name yet, could definitely use suggestions!! I am horrible with the naming :) I've wanted one since I worked at the store I am getting him from. We had one come in for grooming, and it was so awesome. But he had a waiting list for years. Now he has had more chances to get them in. I'm excited! :)

Most Reactions