Is it normal to want to eat your bird’s food?

Is it normal to want to eat parrot food/treats?

• Total voters

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
My birds' chop is made from human grade food and is quite tasty. I wouldn't feed my birds food that was of poor quality or tasted bad.
Exactly.

Also it had the BEST texture. It was so much better than normal salad.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I'm sure it's normal

On the other hand I'm not normal so I'm the last to judge 💀

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
My birds' chop is made from human grade food and is quite tasty. I wouldn't feed my birds food that was of poor quality or tasted bad.
I think chop generally has human grade veg, no? Unless there’s dookie grade vegetables I’m not aware of that are being sold.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I think chop generally has human grade veg, no? Unless there’s dookie grade vegetables I’m not aware of that are being sold.
The other ingredients are also "human grade". Oats and other grains.
I guess non-human grade veggies would be the parts that we throw out when making a salad because they are too blemished, dirty, or bug-chewed.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
The other ingredients are also "human grade". Oats and other grains.
I guess non-human grade veggies would be the parts that we throw out when making a salad because they are too blemished, dirty, or bug-chewed.
There aren’t human grade grains?

That does make sense. Just the discarded pieces wouldn’t be considered human grade. I guess it’s kinda like different grades of bones or pelts? Like there are good ones and then there are bad ones that aren’t as valuable. So that probably does apply to produce too.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
There aren’t human grade grains?

That does make sense. Just the discarded pieces wouldn’t be considered human grade. I guess it’s kinda like different grades of bones or pelts? Like there are good ones and then there are bad ones that aren’t as valuable. So that probably does apply to produce too.
Most foods sold for pet consumption are not considered human grade. That would include bird foods.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
You’re kidding, right? How is that even legal?
Because its not meant for human consumption. Did you not know that "pet grade" meat goes into dog and cat food? "Pet grade" is the parts of the animals that humans won't knowingly eat. Trimmings, scraps, weird organs, gristle, skin, connective tissue, blood vessels, fish heads, guts, "junk fish", etc. Its not dangerous to eat but most people would consider it inedible waste. So it is sold to pet food factories.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Because its not meant for human consumption. Did you not know that "pet grade" meat goes into dog and cat food? "Pet grade" is the parts of the animals that humans won't knowingly eat. Trimmings, scraps, weird organs, gristle, skin, connective tissue, blood vessels, fish heads, guts, "junk fish", etc. Its not dangerous to eat but most people would consider it inedible waste. So it is sold to pet food factories.
That is terrible! What on earth?! That’s a thing? Surely this doesn’t apply to some veggies/fruits, right? If so, that is just as disgusting As kibbles for carnivores. I had no idea about this, so this is quite gross yet interesting. How is that even legal? Like yeah, sure carnivores do eat most of the carcasses in the wild, but they don’t eat JUST that. They eat the good meats, the bad meats, the fats, the hide, hair, and even some eat the bones. Just the bad without the good is just not healthy. And with herbivores, most eat primarily the good since they generally have options available to them, no? So I think it should be illegal to not have at minimum 45% good meats/veggies (depending on diet) in the kibble/pellet. The industry just wants money. What a shame.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
That is terrible! What on earth?! That’s a thing? Surely this doesn’t apply to some veggies/fruits, right? If so, that is just as disgusting As kibbles for carnivores. I had no idea about this, so this is quite gross yet interesting. How is that even legal? Like yeah, sure carnivores do eat most of the carcasses in the wild, but they don’t eat JUST that. They eat the good meats, the bad meats, the fats, the hide, hair, and even some eat the bones. Just the bad without the good is just not healthy. And with herbivores, most eat primarily the good since they generally have options available to them, no? So I think it should be illegal to not have at minimum 45% good meats/veggies (depending on diet) in the kibble/pellet. The industry just wants money. What a shame.
Humans get the good parts. Our pets get the rejects.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
Animals don't really care about the quality of their food unless it is moldy and toxic or something (even then...).
Ever had a dog that eats garbage?

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
But understand that the rejects are just as nutritious as the highest grade parts.
I’d say that’s true to a degree. If it’s mostly fat, then it’s super fatty and calorie dense that it isn’t very healthy. If it’s mostly skin and hair, then that isn’t super nutritious either. Veins and organs? Sure, but there should be more than that. You get what I’m saying? I’m not a very good explainer but that’s the best I got lol

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Animals don't really care about the quality of their food unless it is moldy and toxic or something (even then...).
Ever had a dog that eats garbage?
You do have a point, but I dunno if they would specifically eat just the less nutritious stuff in the wild. And yes, my dog gets into my trash, Rico’s cage paper, etc. when I’m out of the room. She makes a huge mess with it too.

Most Reactions

Latest posts