Quetki

Sep 23, 2022
Canada, Alberta
Parrots
Violet Green Cheeked Conure
Hello, I got a Conure about a week ago and since today he's been a bit jumpy with me and my hand. He loves to preen me but runs away when I try to make him step up. He's barely even stepping up when I am using treats. He was doing fine the other day, but now he's got a fear of my hand. Who knows, he could be back to normal by tomorrow, but I was just curious. Yesterday we spent all day together hanging out and now he's just got this fear of my hand. I know it's probably not good, but I've been picking him up lately so I can put him to bed. He likes to sleep on top of his cage for some reason and not go back in. I heard it's not a good idea to do, but since he's a baby thought I could teach him it was okay. That's the only thing I can think of and would explain why he doesn't trust my hand.šŸ˜“

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Your bird is young and very new and needs to get to know you and trust you.
I donā€™t think anything is destroyed; he does need to go back in his cage at night so he is safe while you sleep. Maybe you can cover your hand with a towel and get him to hop up on the towel? (Thatā€™s what I do with my Quaker when heā€™s in his cage and wants to bite my hand.)

Give him treats from your hand, and treats right after stepping up. When he does something you like, tell him and be very excited and happy! And give him a little treat at the same time when you can.

A week isnā€™t long at ALL and it sounds like youā€™re doing fine.

P.s. we like photos of birds!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Your bird is young and very new and needs to get to know you and trust you.
I donā€™t think anything is destroyed; he does need to go back in his cage at night so he is safe while you sleep. Maybe you can cover your hand with a towel and get him to hop up on the towel? (Thatā€™s what I do with my Quaker when heā€™s in his cage and wants to bite my hand.)

Give him treats from your hand, and treats right after stepping up. When he does something you like, tell him and be very excited and happy! And give him a little treat at the same time when you can.

A week isnā€™t long at ALL and it sounds like youā€™re doing fine.

P.s. we like photos of birds!
I would also recommend kissing him on his head or beak, or petting his head and neck with your nose. Thatā€™s how I tamed very wild budgies when I was a kid. It keeps the scary hands away and gives the bird some affectionā€”heā€™s lonely tooā€”though you take the risk of getting your nose nipped.

Most Reactions